Having seen the video, I think it's time to start robbing some stores (I joke, of course). The price tag is bound to make my eyes water, though.

Having seen the video, I think it's time to start robbing some stores (I joke, of course). The price tag is bound to make my eyes water, though.

I do this again (give me flak!)

That train is essentially a "copy" of the beautiful GP38, released earlier. OK, I know I know, this and that has changed. But: ALL pieces are simply there, despite the colors. Instructions for the GP38 are online. The gigantic tiles are on BrickLink (learned that here). IT IS ALL AVAILABLE, at low prices. Colors aren't. Uhmm: So what?

No, you don't go robbing stores. What you do is, you go robbing your brain and make this train in a totally weird color scheme come true. Change it. Modify it. You'll have a Maersk train that is your Maersk train. Your Maersk train will be inspiring, no copy, but a beauty. Made of your LEGO pieces. And share it. I would love to see your train!!!

You know what? I'd admire that train.

Rock on,

Thorsten

No, you don't go robbing stores. What you do is, you go robbing your brain and make this train in a totally weird color scheme come true. Change it. Modify it. You'll have a Maersk train that is your Maersk train. Your Maersk train will be inspiring, no copy, but a beauty. Made of your LEGO pieces. And share it. I would love to see your train!!!

Well hang on... if it's in different colours it wouldn't be a Maersk train any more! That's what they call it a Maersk train, because it's Maersk bluuUUUUue!</gordonramsay>

In all seriousness, I just want the rare parts. :hmpf:

In all seriousness, I just want the rare parts. :hmpf:

Sigh,

I can truly see that ...

Best,

Thorsten

I can understand the attraction with parts... I'm completing a locomotive MOC to a slightly higher level of detail than the Maersk loco. The hardest and most frustrating part was gathering all the required parts from my own collection, from Bricklink and from sets bought specifically. The Maersk loco is beautiful and detailed but the fact that most of the parts I need (all of the parts for most fans) come in one box makes it's purchase a no-brainer. I will modifiy it to the same standard as my MOC (7-studs wide, slightly longer and more detailed) so I can run them together. Gathering the few parts required should be a lot less trouble than starting from scratch.

Just a few more parts to find and I should be able to post some pictures of my MOC.

Dan-147

Dan, how do you do a GP-38/40 in 7 wide? I've always wanted to model in 7 wide, to get some more realistic proportions, but still keep things relatively small and cheap enough to keep operation. Unfortunately slopes and other bits don't really lend themselves to being an odd dimension. I'd appreciate you sharing some techniques or pics.

I do this again (give me flak!)

That train is essentially a "copy" of the beautiful GP38, released earlier. OK, I know I know, this and that has changed. But: ALL pieces are simply there, despite the colors. Instructions for the GP38 are online. The gigantic tiles are on BrickLink (learned that here). IT IS ALL AVAILABLE, at low prices. Colors aren't. Uhmm: So what?

The design is similar to lego's BNSF train, and also similar to model #4 in the hobby train box. I have both (with some modifications), so why should I want yet another train with a very similar design?

The answer is obvious: look at the color scheme!

I wouldn't buy 10219 if it were in red, because then it would look similar to a train I already have.

But as it is now, if I add 10219 to my layout at our next local train show, nobody is going to say: Hey, those trains are the same.

The design is similar to lego's BNSF train, and also similar to model #4 in the hobby train box. I have both (with some modifications), so why should I want yet another train with a very similar design?

The answer is obvious: look at the color scheme!

I wouldn't buy 10219 if it were in red, because then it would look similar to a train I already have.

But as it is now, if I add 10219 to my layout at our next local train show, nobody is going to say: Hey, those trains are the same.

Well the crux of the issue is that the hood unit is THE North American frieght locomotive design since the 1950s. You get some variation though. There's high short noses like the GP-9, Canadian Comfort Cabs, C-C instead of B-B like the SD-60, and all manner of fans and detailing on the long hood.

To say that LEGO is being unoriginal is a little harsh. If you want to blame anyone, blame it on GE or GM. :laugh:

Amazing this train!!!does any one already have some pictures ou PDF of the building instructions???I would like to the build the same train but with the different color!!!!

Amazing this train!!!does any one already have some pictures ou PDF of the building instructions???I would like to the build the same train but with the different color!!!!

It is almost the same as the 10133 train which you can download the instructions from the Lego.com customer service if its the loco you are wanting, the wagons should be easy enough to copy.

This set is absolutely awesome! :wub: I want it! I love the front part. The colour is a little ugly :thumbdown: but it's great that there's two cars in the train :thumbup:

Well the crux of the issue is that the hood unit is THE North American frieght locomotive design since the 1950s. You get some variation though. There's high short noses like the GP-9, Canadian Comfort Cabs, C-C instead of B-B like the SD-60, and all manner of fans and detailing on the long hood.

To say that LEGO is being unoriginal is a little harsh. If you want to blame anyone, blame it on GE or GM. :laugh:

Hi there,

OK: Damn GE and Damn GM ... :laugh:

Now, my point was not that either trains aren't awesome or wonderful models of the originals. They are. My point was that TLC showed us already with the BNSF GP38 all the tricks required to build such a beauty. Just from the acquiring-building-skills standpoint there isn't that much to learn from the Maersk train design. That was all.

Have fun,

Thorsten

Hi there,

OK: Damn GE and Damn GM ... :laugh:

Now, my point was not that either trains aren't awesome or wonderful models of the originals. They are. My point was that TLC showed us already with the BNSF GP38 all the tricks required to build such a beauty. Just from the acquiring-building-skills standpoint there isn't that much to learn from the Maersk train design. That was all.

Have fun,

Thorsten

Hi Toastie,

correct point of view! :thumbup: This new diesel locomotive is very similar to BNSF GP38 and it doesn't seem too hard to build! :sadnew:

However it's true that the train shows beautiful colours and it's perfect with 1831 set :blush:

This train needs to be rebuild for 12v :tongue: . I'm gonna buy this train one day and build it for 12v.

Ooooh hell yeah, this thing on 12V would be magic.

I've been away for a little bit and have just logged in to find this.

WOW, can't wait! :laugh:

I'm not really a train fan (HP and Harbour are more up my street) but I was tempted by the city cargo train but I'm glad I resisted for this! at least this is £91.99 worth of train whereas the city train is about £60 worth of train and £60 worth of power functions (which I don't care for) So the choice is obvious default_classic.gif

Dan, how do you do a GP-38/40 in 7 wide? I've always wanted to model in 7 wide, to get some more realistic proportions, but still keep things relatively small and cheap enough to keep operation. Unfortunately slopes and other bits don't really lend themselves to being an odd dimension. I'd appreciate you sharing some techniques or pics.

Hi greenmtvince,

I can do one better than that. I've made complete instructions for a B39-8E and for a C30-7, both GE products. The first one rides on 4 wheel trucks (hence the "B") and the other one (you guessed it!) rides on 6 wheel trucks. They are quite similar to EMD products so you can use them as a base to convert the Maersk loco. That's what I intend to do just as soon as I can get my hands on the set.

I'm less than 20 pieces away from completing the B39-8E and I can assure you that it is quite a sturdy design. I've started gathering the parts for the C30-7 but Bricklink puts a dent in my budget and it can be quite time consuming if you want to keep costs down. That's why the Maersk train is such a windfall. Even if I intend to modify it into an SD40-2 to the same standard as the B39-8E and the C30-7, most of the parts required will be in the box.

If you are interested in the instructions, you can send me a message through EB and let me have your e-mail address. I'll then forward them to you. Anyone else who might be interested can also send me a message and I'll be happy to send you the instructions as well.

Dan-147

It is kind off lame that you need to sacrifice some cool parts (in this case the v16 engine) in order to motorize the train (the same case with the Emerald night).

I miss the old 9v trains, because this way you need to recharge the batteries every now and then.

P.S. Cant wait until the Maersk train is out.

Edited by gogocar

The Maersk train will be my first Lego Train purchase, so I don't know what is required to add PF to it. However I was wondering, if I were to buy the Passenger Train ($99) off of BL, would the PF parts from that be equivalent to buying all the recommended PF parts separately?

From what I could tell the motor and IR controller/receiver are the same, but a different, non-rechargable battery box is included with the Passenger Train.

This seems more cost effective to me as I would get a second train that could be used for parts to build extra rail cars for the same cost a buying the required PF parts separately.

The Maersk train will be my first Lego Train purchase, so I don't know what is required to add PF to it. However I was wondering, if I were to buy the Passenger Train ($99) off of BL, would the PF parts from that be equivalent to buying all the recommended PF parts separately?

Yes, the Passenger train would give you everything that you need (track, battery box, PF receiver, PF controller, and train motor). Actually, $99 is a really good price for the Passenger train (it's $129 on lego.com).

You may want to buy some additional straight track (not cheap though, it's $20 on lego.com for 8 straight + 16 flex, where 1 flex is the equivalent of 1/4 straight, so you'd pay $20 for the equivalent of 12 straight track).

From what I could tell the motor and IR controller/receiver are the same, but a different, non-rechargable battery box is included with the Passenger Train.

This seems more cost effective to me as I would get a second train that could be used for parts to build extra rail cars for the same cost a buying the required PF parts separately.

That is exactly what i have done already.... you can almost make two extra passengercars of the set, you only need a few extra parts. But the PF stuf is just what you need.

Here you can see what an extra long passengertrain looks like....!!!

Extra long Lego passengertrain 7938

Longer passengertrain 7938

Greetz LegoSjaak

That is exactly what i have done already.... you can almost make two extra passengercars of the set, you only need a few extra parts. But the PF stuf is just what you need.

Here you can see what an extra long passengertrain looks like....!!!

Extra long Lego passengertrain 7938

Longer passengertrain 7938

Greetz LegoSjaak

LegoSjaak,

A couple of days ago, I bid on some 12V train items on eBay, didn't won anything though (they all sold for almost twice my max bid !!). Looking at those prices (not just 12V, but 9V has become expensive too!) it makes a lot of sense to buy new trains, just like the way you've done (looks great!).

I'm definitely buying 2 copies of 10219 (that still costs less than one 7740 train!).

LegoSjaak,

A couple of days ago, I bid on some 12V train items on eBay, didn't won anything though (they all sold for almost twice my max bid !!). Looking at those prices (not just 12V, but 9V has become expensive too!) it makes a lot of sense to buy new trains, just like the way you've done (looks great!).

I'm definitely buying 2 copies of 10219 (that still costs less than one 7740 train!).

Years ago i sold all my 12v stuff......since 1,5 years i started with Lego again...and i must say, i have no regrets for selling the 12v trains. They were really beautifull, but in a city like mine, where there are almost only recent sets....i don't think 12v stuff will fit in.

But, 12v as well as 9v or the newer rc/pf sets have all their own beauty!!!!

Most important, you like the Lego you have!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

In anticipation of all those buying and breaking up sets... I had a quick reverse engineer of the models (from available pictures) myself. The designs are in a LDD... available here if anyone wants them.

And no these are not built from the official instructions, so unknown pieces are shown in red. Of course in digital land it is also possible to design a complete refrigerator unit without spaces for the Maersk logos - for the anonymous connoisseur

10219-Wagons.png

And as a comparison to the existing freight containers from 7939

10219-Wagons2.png

Edited by roamingstudio