At a rough count of studs / tiles, the hood of the unit is ~36 studs long. That seems long. Then there are the steps + buffers. Anyone else tried counting studs?

New baseplate? Brick-built arrangement for attaching running gear (plates with holes)?

Yes, I did. See my post above. I agree with you on the 36 studs. Two bogies of 10 studs each, 3 bricks on the outside of the bogie makes 26. 1 stud space between bogie and tank in the middle makes 28 and the centre unit looks like 8 making a total of 36.

I think the base is 2 plates thick including the plates with handles so I assume it's a plate-built base rather than a standard train base.

I absolutely love this! :classic: Even if it has PF that'll be okay with me. I can switch the components to my Emerald Night and back. I love the Maesrk sets and this train is wonderful. It has the detail like the Emerald Night but a cargo train instead of a passenger. I really do love this set. I can't wait to get this and get more track and have a layout with my Emerald Night. I have always love cargo items since I was little and this really makes my day. I wanted to get the new container ship too but I think I may just get this. The ship would still be cool to have too. The tractor vehicle does make the set better. It allows for playability. Also don't forget to mention the blue hats!

I'm going to stop before I go on too much. :grin:

Edited by JCC1004

Well the dutch store has a proper link, image, which would indicate that it is probably for general public... wooo hooo!

De set bestaat uit een Maersk dieselloc, twee Maersk container wagons en een Maersk container vrachtwagen. De Maersk Container Train heeft een lengte van 92 centimeter in totaal!

Let op! Deze set bevat geen rails en geen motor.

Okay, so it's like the Emerald Night.....no PF or motors at all supplied, but the EN had information provided to fit PF if my memory serves me correct. :wink:

I might had a pot shot at a price.....say 200 hundred Aussie dollars, well that's my guess.

Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

I assume this will eventually be replacing the Emerald Night as the AFOL train set. If you haven't got an EN yet, you'd might want to start thinking about it.

Interesting to note that the designers have listened to us whinging about the one carriage, and included two this time; Certainly don't hear anyone complaining about it. It isn't entirely different to the BNSF or Hobby train incarnation, but it's in nice colours and with nice accessories. Those hats aren't going to be worth the hundreds of dollars the Bricklink sellers have them for now...

And its very easy to add third one: you just have to purchase additional split-level base, wheels, buffers and a few bricks. Much easier than on emerald night.

And its very easy to add third one: you just have to purchase additional split-level base, wheels, buffers and a few bricks. Much easier than on emerald night.

Agreed and also you can modify the containers from the Maersk ship and have a bunch of containers with stickers. Although I don't know how big those stickers are compared to this. I just bought the ship yesterday (in anticipation of the train) and don't plan on opening the ship for months.

Thank you very much for this information! :classic:

So we can be very sure that it'll be sold on a regular basis. :thumbup:

Firstly I wasn't that impressed by this train, but the more I look at the picture of it, the more I begin to like it - esp. the yard tractor :wub: .

Yes, the one container could be a refridgerator container. I firstly didn't notice that there are two different kinds of containers in this set because I thought that it's because of bad illumination.

Since we now know that it won't include all that PF stuff, I'd go for the same price like EN (90 Euros) or maximum 100 Euros (since it even includes the yard tractor). More would be usury (think about that last year's Passenger Train with all PF stuff included and a small platform was 110 Euros here in Germany).

Klaus-Dieter

So I'm thinking and by looking at the picture, the carriages are likely 8 wide, I think I can almost count six studs between the 2 blue tiles, so do we think this is a new drop neck carriage moulding, or is is brick built or the regular 6 wide modified to 8 wide?

Paul

I am like so stoked, man. If the BNSF GP38 was available right now, I'd take the Maersk set over the BNSF. The lines of the BNSF were not realistic enough for me (what was up with that nose? It didn't capture that EMD 'face' well enough), and that was the dealbreaker in the end. The Maersk loco is much improved in this area, from what I can make out.

Ideal price for me: about $125. With student loans to pay off it gets tricky building a fleet of Lego trains. That $125 I could just scrape together.

I will definitely find a way to try and get this, even if I have to sell plasma or get a second job. I'd love to see more American style diesel engines.

*sigh* Oh I miss my Santa Fe and BNSF engines...

The Dutch store http://www.brickshop.nl/ says "Warning, there are no tracks and motors as part of this set", maybe they have prior Dealer knowledge?!

For those of us that want to buy 2 copies of this set, it is good news that no motor or track is included

(I certainly wouldn't like to be forced to buy 2 controllers/receivers/motors).

Hopefully lego will sell the PF-train-motor/receiver/batterybox to those that need it (that would make a lot of sense!). It certainly would be a good thing if those become available as separate items.

One of my favorite trains is the BNSF locomotive 10133 connected to a few sets of the double-stack container cars 10170. It looks wonderful going over the track. Unfortunately, 10133/10170 have become quite expensive, so it is very good news that this new train is coming out. The engine is longer and so it's more realistic, and the new color scheme is wonderful. It's going to look great having both trains on the track!

Ideal price for me: about $125. With student loans to pay off it gets tricky building a fleet of Lego trains. That $125 I could just scrape together.

To all of you writing what you're willing to pay: Write a *small* number. After all, we don't know if the price has been decided yet.

For a set with no motor and no track, $125 is a pretty steep number (that's more than the hobby train, the holiday train, or the Emerald Night). The BNSF + double-stack containers were $40 + $40 = $80. Add a few years of inflation, my guess would be $99.

Edited by hoeij

This really is an impressive set. As mentioned by others, it has a really high "must have" feel to it :-)

It's on top of my wanted list right now. I think it will go rather nice with the 8 10170 cars I plan to build (just a few more parts from BL and I'll be done :-) ).

The Dutch store http://www.brickshop.nl/ says "Warning, there are no tracks and motors as part of this set", maybe they have prior Dealer knowledge?!

I don't think brickshop.nl has more knowledge about this set, the probably just baldly added the item to their webshop I guess...

I suppose it will be around $99 ~ $119, let's wait and see :-)

Edited by marsupilami

Well since it seems this will not have PF components hopefully TLG will resell the bundle package to motorize this train like they did with Emerlad Night. Then I can get two to motorize my Emerald Night as well. :classic:

Well since it seems this will not have PF components hopefully TLG will resell the bundle package to motorize this train like they did with Emerlad Night. Then I can get two to motorize my Emerald Night as well. :classic:

My thoughts exactly.

Come on Lego, please help me get rid of my excess money ;-)

Something just popped back to the front of my mind......when I was speaking to Lego Australia the other day....the day the picture appear....I gave the rep on the phone the set number 10219.....he claimed to be using the S@H web site, but gave me the sets full name....I hadn't told him it's name. Could a release....even if it's going to be a store exclusive or what ever be real soon ?

I just wished Lego would put us out of our misery and tell us date and price ! :look:

Keep on waiting ! :wink:

So I'm thinking and by looking at the picture, the carriages are likely 8 wide, I think I can almost count six studs between the 2 blue tiles, so do we think this is a new drop neck carriage moulding, or is is brick built or the regular 6 wide modified to 8 wide?

Paul

I'm not convinced Paul, though it is very tricky to see. It doesn't look like the base plate overhangs the bogies by a plate on each side, with this part, a hinged panel as used in the 4549 Road n Rail Hauler to keep the containers in place.

Until better images appear, we'll just have to wait and see....

Andy

I don't think brickshop.nl has more knowledge about this set, the probably just baldly added the item to their webshop I guess...

Copying pictures from the internet is not a profitable business model. So they must have received that picture from the lego company. Likewise, the information they posted (that it doesn't come with track or motor), I'm sure they received this information from the lego company.

There were lots of complaints when 9V ended, but since then, we've seen the Emerald Night, and now this train, so things are really good for adult fans of lego trains.

There were lots of complaints when 9V ended, but since then, we've seen the Emerald Night, and now this train, so things are really good for adult fans of lego trains.

I agree. I sympathise with the fans of the 9V system and appreciate their genuine concerns but from the perspective of someone getting on board at the tail end of the RC era I've got to say Lego are showing real commitment to the theme.

I like all the RC and PF sets they've released plus they've put together a new train station and level crossing, flexi-track (pros and cons aside), the Emerald, that great tram and now this.

We need to get on to our local shops to encourage them to stock some track and the combo pack if it is produced by Lego. I think the Emerald Night Combo was K10194 to designate the extra parts so we may be looking for a K10219 part number for this one.

My EN is powered by a Technic Bulldozer XL motor from a few years back, I could well be losing the other one to this awesome new Maersk train.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

My EN is powered by a Technic Bulldozer XL motor from a few years back, I could well be losing the other one to this awesome new Maersk train.

I'm pretty sure that this Maersk train will be powered not by an XL motor, but by a regular train motor (like the one that sits in the current passenger and cargo trains. Hopefully lego will start selling those separately). The 10219 is 3 feet long, so two copies make a 6 feet train. One motor should be enough to pull that, if you don't have too many curves in the layout.

Edited by hoeij

To all who are wondering about the width, it is clearly 6-wide and not 8. Look at the 2x1 handle bricks on the ends of the flat cars. There is only room for one more between them — definitely not a 4 stud gap. Case closed! :wink:

I'm pretty sure that this Maersk train will be powered not by an XL motor, but by a regular train motor (like the one that sits in the current passenger and cargo trains. Hopefully lego will start selling those separately). The 10219 is 3 feet long, so two copies make a 6 feet train. One motor should be enough to pull that, if you don't have too many curves in the layout.

Yeah, you're right, what was I thinking. *laugh*

:classic: :classic: