Sign in to follow this  
PixelFox

Comic: The Island

3 Years in the making.

122 Pages.

725 Panels (not counting the 50 or 60 that didn't get used in the end)

A project folder nearing 38 gigabytes.

Welcome to The Island.

titlepage.jpg

Now available on Flickr.

Or visit the blog.

Greetings to everyone who doesn't know me.

So here is this comic I've been making using virtual Lego. It's not all up yet, but I'm adding a few dozen pages every day. Also, Flickr is probably not the best place to host it, but I am exploring other options. Maybe one day I'll learn html and make a dedicated site.

I've already started on a second episode, which will be much better, and hopefully go much faster, now that I know what I'm doing.

Anyway, enjoy. Comments and critique welcome.

Wow. That is a lot of work and a lot of dedication. I just started it, and it looks pretty cool so far. I'm not nearly as bothered by the digital lego as I thought I would be. I'm really interested in what will happen, I'll comment on the story when I get further into it, but I have to admit, the suspense from just the first 4 pages is very nice.

Hi guys.

Thanks for the comment, Zepher. Glad you like it so far.

I must admit, I was very worried that purists would dislike it because it's digital Lego. I almost didn't post it here. I'm hoping people will enjoy it despite the fact it isn't real Lego.

Speaking of which, pages 1 through to 67 is now up.

Same emotions here. I was surprised how well digital renders works. At the moment it almost felt like classic real plastic models are so inadequate.

Your skill is great. Fantastic work on backgrounds, models, well... everything. Great camera positions, wonderful sceneries, engaging story...

I didn't read the whole story yet, I'm trying to enjoy it slowly :) , so I'll put some comments on story later.

Anyway - Jack Storm could be the milestone of new era of LEGO comics.

EDIT: Could not reach you trough private messages (new members lock, I pressume). Please, contact me at zelimir.peris@ gmail.com - I got some ideas of how promote this comic.

Thanks!

Edited by z_zadar

I must admit, I was very worried that purists would dislike it because it's digital Lego. I almost didn't post it here. I'm hoping people will enjoy it despite the fact it isn't real Lego.

Bah, MegaBloks to the purists and this IS real LEGO. I'm about 14 pages in and it's been a good ride so far. Thanks for posting something different. :thumbup:

LU!

Greetings all.

Wow, thanks for the comments, z_zadar and Jebediahs. That really means a lot to me.

z_zadar, I've sent you a mail.

All the pages up to 82 are now up. I'll probably add a few more later today.

Now, about story. (first 1-82 pages, no or minor spoilers)

It is sort of Indiana Jones cliche, but in the great way.

Jungle, mystery, strange artifact, action...

I'm particularly amazed by dialogues and characterization od Jack and Harvey. Other characters are much weaker, but still fine.

The story has some great moments. Jack is great when need to think of some complicated plan fast and unexpectedly. And, basically, we follow the adventure trough Harveys exes, making Jack even more interesting.

I think the story would be mush easier to read and follow if it is broken in episodes, like usual LEGO comics, but... let's be realistic here - this is no usual LEGO comic. This stuff is special.

I just hope we we'll get deeper in the secret of unnamed island, and hope to see more of Jack's cool plans.

About graphic... Oh my... Oh my... just look at it and you'll understand my emotions.

Wow, I've just read through all the 82 pages, and I must say, I'm more than impressed.

I am not really bothered about the digital Lego, it looks very good.

One question: Is there any particular reason why you used mostly real existing parts and figures or do you just want it to be more realistic?

The story is catching, I can barely wait for the ongoing.

Overall, great job you did on this :thumbup:

Hi all!

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

One question: Is there any particular reason why you used mostly real existing parts and figures or do you just want it to be more realistic?

Well, at the start I wasn't too bothered about including new faces, hairstyles and torsos (and a few weapons inspired by BrickArms), but as I progressed, I decided that I was going to try to stick to existing pieces, colours and prints. I think mainly because it didn't feel right making up my own stuff. I guess I'm a bit of a purist in that way.

In other news, z_zadar has kindly offered to host the comic on his Storyatures site, so it's available there as well now. I think it's much faster and easier to read than on Flickr.

Pages 1 through to 107 is now up.

Great. You just made me waste 1 hour of my time.

Just kidding. :laugh: On the contrary, it was time well spent. The storyline was captivating, the artwork was nothing short of AMAZING, and best of all, zero grammatical errors. (Yes, I'm a grammar Nazi. No pun intended.) I haven't yet finished the story though, my eyes are getting too tired. :tongue: But this is really fantastic, one of the best Lego comics I've seen.

Just curious, how did you render the virtual Lego? It seems like a lot of work and effort has been put in, I really have to applaud you for your dedication.

Keep up the good work!

Pages 1 to 122 are now up. That's all of them. 122 pages. The whole thing. Finally.

Harveyteaser.jpg

Thanks Lockon, glad you like it. (I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi myself :classic: ) To answer your question (a few other people have asked me this as well); The sets and vehicles are modeled in Leocad, and then exported to Maya, where I assemble, light and render everything. The characters (and pieces that don't yet exist in the Ldraw system) are also created in Maya. The renders then go to Photoshop, where I add skies, effects, motion blur etc.

Wow that sounds like a pretty intense process! I just finished the first chapter, and it is great!

I am sorry for bumbing this a little, but i readed it and i loved it. Are you planning to do next comic? That would be awesome, i really loved your first comic. Great work (And a lot of it i think) whit this first one.

Captain Becker

That was one of my favorite comics I have ever read. The plot, the characters, and the tone was fantastic. God, Outback had to have survived. If not, no villain can compare.

Hello! think that your comic is great.

First time I have read it was on Storyatures and after being inpatient for waiting more and more I've gone to your Flickr

photostream and read the whole story. It's great and congratulations on finishing it. I am sure it was a big project and I

would like to see more comics like this. :thumbup:

10/10

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :blush:

Yup, there will be at least one more comic, and if all goes well, maybe some more after that. I'll probably change the format, and make it more episodic. Shorter bits more often.

> CallMePie...Regarding Outback...yeah...he'll be back. :wink:

Out of curiosity...do you guys prefer Jack or Harvey as a favourite character? I worry that Jack's cynicism might be a little hard to identify with.

Out of curiosity...do you guys prefer Jack or Harvey as a favourite character? I worry that Jack's cynicism might be a little hard to identify with.

I love them both :laugh: They fit together like a... Well, like a sock and a feet? And dont worry about jack´scynicism, its not too hard IMO. It fits perfectly into his profile. When they argument about getting back to the mask and returning it to the temple, Harvey said to Jack "Abso-bloody-lutely" i dropped off of my chair and laughed so hard. You are super comic maker and i have actually readed this comic already twice :blush:

Captain Becker

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :blush:

Yup, there will be at least one more comic, and if all goes well, maybe some more after that. I'll probably change the format, and make it more episodic. Shorter bits more often.

> CallMePie...Regarding Outback...yeah...he'll be back. :wink:

I loved both of them, and I didn't mind jack's cynicism. Their characters were very consequently worked out, which was one of the things I most liked at your comic. :thumbup: