MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

.....normally available ... ?

Usually 2h sets are available in august/september.

But there is one thing that is strange about those release-dates. Last year there were two sets available about a month before the official release date.

The 8043 was "given" (correct me if I'm wrong) to testers in France (SeTechnic-forum members?) and the 8051 was available a month early in certain Danish airports...

Were those two simple mistakes? Or brilliant marketing strategies of TLC?

Usually 2h sets are available in august/september.

But there is one thing that is strange about those release-dates. Last year there were two sets available about a month before the official release date.

The 8043 was "given" (correct me if I'm wrong) to testers in France (SeTechnic-forum members?) and the 8051 was available a month early in certain Danish airports...

Were those two simple mistakes? Or brilliant marketing strategies of TLC?

I taught we were going to get them July ;(it's a long wait tho,

There's a green Mog too you know....

The U400 comes in few factory stock colors such as orange, red, silver, white and of course..MB refers it as Traktor Grun if I spelled it correctly.

This is the said color on my Shuco 1/43 scale U300 diecast model :grin:

3001.jpg

I agree with efferman...this Lego model is kinda ugly, although I've always thought the real U400 is a looker, a descendent of the legendary 406 implemet carrier, with the former's design characteristics such as short sloped hood. Few wrong things about this set in terms of looks:

- The A pillars should be made more curved using flexible hose or axles.

- The wheels protrude so much over the fender..this would be illegal for street usage. Some UGN series Mog has a factory installed wider fender on heavier models such as the u400 and u500. This could be fixed by adding extra liftarms on the sides.

- Series u400 and above indeed have black wheels and heavy duty axles. The lightest u300 model comes in silver wheels with smaller axles, comprising of just six lugs

-Tires...any Unimoog will look ugly with this wide overly squared shoulder tires. Again I agree with efferman, tires should be narrower with more aggresive tread pattern..preferably lug types.

Overall this Lego U400 looks like a 'toy'..not a proportional simulation of the real thing..It would be wiser if Lego made a boxier shaped UGH series Mog like the U4000. As demonstrated by efferman, it's more feasible with the squared nature of Lego bricks. Why am I talking about this efferman guy all the time? Well, you should check his thread..compare it to the real thing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Anyway don't mean to rain on your parade..the 8110 is overall a very good Technic set..which is still in my 2011 wishlist, and also will be my new experience with pneumatics which I'm anxious about! :classic:

Not sure if this has been meantioned yet, but it looks like the rear crane is made to be a "quick disconect". Though i haven't seen them in any of the pics, but given there are some mounted in the front,(presumably for the B-model) it only makes sence that there would be some in the rear to allow for easy removal for dismantal of the B-model snow plow. This would be great for adding your own rear equipment.

Pnuematics, power functions, engine, 4WD, full suspension, front and rear Pnuematic hook ups, as well as PTO's;... This is really looking to be onw of the most universal models we have ever recieved from TLC!

Technical stuff aside...how much do you guys predict it will be priced at? More or less than the 8043? I would expect equal since that Mercedes Benz licensing would take its toll. :look:

The rumours are, that the price will be 189,90 EUR at S@H !

I hope they are wrong, and it wil be around 159,90 EUR.

Edited by Povratnik

Not sure if this has been meantioned yet, but it looks like the rear crane is made to be a "quick disconect". Though i haven't seen them in any of the pics, but given there are some mounted in the front,(presumably for the B-model) it only makes sence that there would be some in the rear to allow for easy removal for dismantal of the B-model snow plow. This would be great for adding your own rear equipment.

Pnuematics, power functions, engine, 4WD, full suspension, front and rear Pnuematic hook ups, as well as PTO's;... This is really looking to be onw of the most universal models we have ever recieved from TLC!

If the crane can be removed and if attachments are same in front and back, than you could in theory place the crane in front too.

The rumours are, that the price will be 189,90 EUR at S@H !

I hope they are wrong, and it wil be around 159,90 EUR.

Ouch..hope it's worth it. For something manually operated without any sort of remote controls. Although I'm not saying that remote controls justify high prices nor make a set an instant flagship. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by Out of Sight

If the crane can be removed and if attachments are same in front and back, than you could in theory place the crane in front too.

Only problem could be the fact that the pneumatic attachment point in the front is not placed in the center. So you might need to mirrorbuild the whole crane first.

Only problem could be the fact that the pneumatic attachment point in the front is not placed in the center. So you might need to mirrorbuild the whole crane first.

I doubt that would be a problem, the pneumatic tubes are pretty flexible after all. The main issue would be whether front and rear mounting points are the same and whether the PTO is in a suitable place.

This is one of the most fantastic models I've ever seen!

If I get this set, I'll add some O-Bahn guidewheels! :laugh:

Are there Unimogs in Australia?

They are 9L, there is a 3L pin with a crosshole on the other end.

They are indeed 9L, otherwise they would have to be bent into place.

I migth be a bit stupid, but I don't understand this. There is no 3L pin with crosshole and "bent into place"..? The axle connctor and 8L axle hanging on the side appeares to be 90 degrees.

This set looks fantastic. I'm surprised to see working suspension, but I'm happy to see it. Looks like I was faily close in predicting some kind of switching functions between compressor, motorized winch, and motorized turntable; but I was wrong about the motorized stabilizers. :sceptic: IMHO, the manual stabilizers are the only thing that keeps this from being a perfect set. Still very nice, and I hope to buy one! I love the orange, and I also like the grey panels.

I don't see this bent roof that people are talking about? To me, the roof looks perpendicular to the B pillar. It looks like there may be a couple 11L axles in the roof as well. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to this set!

The more I think about this set the more I wonder is it going to be anywhere near as good as 8043,when u think about it were not getting near as much parts for the same or more money than the excavator,yes it might be the new 8868 but it might be a lot of money to get just 1 m motor in the box don't ye think,I'm just wondering are we ever going to get an other set like 8043 again!don't get me wrong I will buy this set but will we get the same value as we did from 8043 with all those pf parts in one box ;)

As I said before, I guess that this set will contain around 1600 pieces (can anyone confirm or make another guess?).

This includes 2 or 3 differentials, 4 springs, 4 pneumatic switches, 3 pneumatic cylinders, 1 turntable, v6 or v8 engine, a PF-M-motor with battery-pack.

Now lets compare this to the legendary crane 8421, or the truck 8258:

- 8421 contains: no springs, 1 pneumatic switch, 2 pneumatic cylinders, 1 turntable, a v6 engine and a motor with battery-pack. (1884 parts, EUR129,-)

- 8258 contains: no springs, no pneumatics, 2 linear actuators, 1 turntable, a PF-XL-motor with battery-pack (1877 parts, EUR125,-)

The prices of both 8421 and 8258 were actually not that high (compared to 8297 (EUR105,-) for example).

Taking all of the above in account, I think the price of the Unimog should be around EUR150,- to EUR175,-

(As you probably know, LEGO's price has always been higher than the price for which the stores actually sell the sets!)

v6 or v8 engine

Shouldn't that be a straight 4 ? (Turbocharged) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog#Unimog_U5000_BM437.430)

That's what I see in the (birdseye) picture that was posted earlyer.

Anyway, From what I've seen of this model so far I'd say it deserves to be placed next to the 8880 on a shelf. (For size and function that is, From what i can see the scale difference between this and the 8868 is to big.)

This thing is going to kill my Lego Budget, I already decided I want to get two of them. (One when its released, The second will have to wait a while.)

I still want to get a second 8258 (Really like that set), And havent got the 8053 yet. (Still unsure about it, Got the previous crane and don't really like this new one.)

Just ordered the bigger Technic sets that have been released lately. (Backhoe and Supercar.)

Good thing I only collect Technic (And a little bit of Creator.)

Getting a bit offtopic there,

As closing words to this post I'd like to say that Technic Lego is a great Hobby to have.

And I'd like to thank my best friend (Who is no longer among us.) J.H. for telling me to just buy the damn thing or walk out of the toystore...

The damn thing being the 8436 back in 2005, Which released me from my dark ages and launched me into a new era that started with finding a mint 8880 in a little Lego Shop in Alkmaar. (A city in The Netherlands.)

And grew into a collection that has now outgrown the shelfspace i made for it.

Sato.

I just cant wait to purchase this model. I hope it lives up to everything expected of it.

I'm thinking of an attachment at the back for the B-model.

At the moment I think that it is possible to rebuild the 8264 set from 2009 into a salting and/or gritting bin for the back, complete with a spinning applicator wheel that can be driven by the Power Take Off at the back.

I allredy bougt some parts, so i can build the attachment for the B-model.

i think we could build a nice attachment from the new pneumatic tractor with log loader 8049,what ye think?