MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

Sorry for digging this thread out of the grave, but I just finished building the main body and have an issue with the HOG steering. When I turn the HOG wheel on top, the front wheels don't turn. I checked my work and it seems to be fine. Any ideas what can cause this?

Does it "not" turn, or does the axle for the HOG flex a lot. Somewhere (in this thread?) there are a couple of steering updates/MOD's that work great. I used one and mine steers fine now.

Can't believe I was able to pick this up from Toys R Us today, as it had already been retired for a while now. I guess they were still clearing out their last batch of inventory.

Looking forward to building it! :)

Can't believe I was able to pick this up from Toys R Us today, as it had already been retired for a while now. I guess they were still clearing out their last batch of inventory.

Looking forward to building it! :)

I got one on the weekend also, the last one they had :)

I got two at 30% discount, there was a third in a damaged box, might go back for that one also

No one has thought to build an unimog like this? What brick can i use for rail wheels?

post-119388-0-13260700-1398890141_thumb.jpg

great thread :classic:

a question for unimog builders...

i've been reading the unimog pdf instructions & it looks like it uses 3 differentials to drive the 4 wheels ? i looked at instructions for 9398 & it only has 2 differentials for 4 wheels

this gets started in booklet 1 but there are so many gears i can't really tell what is going on

i found this link about "how differentials work" and it shows all wheel drive having 3 differentials, 1 for front & rear axle and another in the middle, which seems reasonable

http://auto.howstuff...fferential1.htm

i'm planning a 6 wheeler & trying to decide if it's worth spending $$ for 5 differentials, i've already got 3 & maybe just 1 more (heh) between front & rear 2 axles

does anybody have experience building & running 4wheelers with only 2 differentials vs. 3 differentials ? is the difference noticable ?

Edited by CNT2

Simple question.

Why is the unimog so popular with technic fans? can someone explain?

thanks!

I guess from my point of view a few reasons:

- It was the largest Technic set ever until the latest crane came out.

- It has a number of features and functions which people (both LEGO and non LEGO) can understand and enjoy watching / using.

- It stands out and looks really good on display.

- For me I really enjoy using it as a base for designing and building my own attachments and changing features, something that few other sets can do.

I have a few posts on my blog about it, including some attachments I have designed and built, I have another one to add very soon :) Link in my signature below ;)

Edited by Paul B

To me 8110 is so popular because it offers the fullest Technic experience:

- it comes with big number and great variety of parts (good collection base/expansion)

- it has pneumatics in decent amount

- it has Power Functions

- it has working suspension

- it has a great MODing potential

- it is both a great display model (awesome aesthetics!) and playable toy

What is more - it is still available in decent price, so people are more likely to recommend it than 8258 or 8043, which are - while also great or even greater than 8110 - extremely expensive.

Personally I think it is overrated, it is a nice model but doesnt really fit with other sets except maybe farm tractors (8284, 8063) the steering isnt great, but it does have pneumatics driven by a compressor (just like 8049 with the motor pack). It does however allow for a large variety of implements and accessories, so gives endless building possibilities if you want. For playability 42030 beats it as does 8043. It is still available in some stores.

It is still available in some stores.

What is more - it is still available in decent price, so people are more likely to recommend it than 8258 or 8043, which are - while also great or even greater than 8110 - extremely expensive.

Please point me in the right direction...

Please point me in the right direction...

I have recently bought a couple of sets here (NZ) for parts, there was someone posted in the 2014 thread of four in their local TRU

To me 8110 is so popular because it offers the fullest Technic experience:

- it comes with big number and great variety of parts (good collection base/expansion)

- it has pneumatics in decent amount

- it has Power Functions

- it has working suspension

- it has a great MODing potential

- it is both a great display model (awesome aesthetics!) and playable toy

well, actually there has been already all said about this question in this forum... but i will give it another try:

let's first draw some baselines:

- I assume that most of us agree that there are only few other models which can compete with the Unimog

- The question "which one is the best of the best?" can probably not be answered universally valid because to much personal tastes are involved

So why i would rate the Unimog in the meantime slightly higher than the other competitors like 8868, 8880, 8479, 8480, 8455, 8043, 8258 and 42009 (IMHO these are all competitors of the Unimog in the fight for the crown)

Sort version: In contrary to all others it has all - well, it is not the best in all criterias but it has overall a very high level in all criterias:

Long version:

part-assortment: it has many many parts and it has parts of each categories: it has PF and it has pneumatic - i hat a lot of liftarms, a lot of gears, it has gearbox parts, it has suspension parts, it has panels etc. etc. - it has all what you need as a starting point to build own and other models... e.g. EB member MrTekneex has build just from the 8110-parts a quite nifty C-model, a jeep, so something completely different

Well, 42009 has even more parts but is lacks some categories like pneumatic or suspension, so: No other competitor offers such a broad part assortment out of the box --> In this criteria the Mog is the best of the best

display look: the Unimog is simply one of the best looking models - well others like 8043 and 8258 look also very very good - its a matter of personal taste which one is the best

playability: Apart from the crappy steering (at least out of the box) the playability is quite high - you can play with it and you can lift stuff with the crane (e.g. in contrary to the 8258 which can simply lift nothing

Building experience: It is good to very good but not the best one compared to others like 8043, 8258, 8868 or - the best of all - 8455

Innovation: here the unimog is again among the best models: It brings new parts (the pneumatic connector, the portals) and it brings new axle designs - others like 8880, 8879 and 8868 are also very innovative

Cool mechanism and gear-trains: here the Unimog has no chance against gear-train marvels like 8043 or 8258 - but in contrary the Unimog fights back with the next criterium:

realism: IMHO here the Unimog is outstanding to models like 8043 or 8258 - only the 8455 and the 8868 can compete here - and at the beginning the technic line of LEGO had the slogan "Technic as in reality" - IMHO this is one of the most important criterias and the Unimog satisfies it at the best

Functions: The Unimog has a lot and most of them are working well. But this is also the criteria which contains a flaw and unfortunatelly a serious flaw of the Unimog: The steering is really crappy - at least out of the box - you can mod it so it works better but there is no front-axle design which satisfies under all criterias... of course, there is the complete redesigned front-axle of Nicjasno (LPE Power) which really works well (i have build it) and fixes the functional flaws but on the other side it looses als the realistic look of an Unimog axle (at least IMHO)... if lego would have designed a better working suspendable unimog steering then the Unimog would be by far the best model ever, without any doubt and question... but so this a serious drawback. Well, but lets not overstimate the problem: It is a problem but it can be fixed in several ways - which one is the right for you depends what you want (easy steering or best suspension or both but no realistic axle look or RCing or etc.)...In this posting i have mentioned some aspects: http://www.eurobrick...75#entry1939279

Modding potantial: Here the Unimog is outstanding to all other technic sets - neither of the mentioned competitors is even nearly to MOD-able as the Unimog - well, you can move the 8043 to an ulimate version but that's it, 8455 and 8868 are so dense and compact builds that there is simply no chance for MODs, 8880 can be well modded and also the 8258 but in no way thier potantial is as high as of the unimog... You can quite easy RC it, you can build thousands of attachments, you can add a lifting bed etc. etc. just check the Unimog attachment/modification thread..

So overall the Unimog gives you the most out of the technic line in one box for a fair price (BTW: you will find a lot of second hand models in quite new mint condition for fair prices)

So now the final question: Is the Unimog the best of the best in my opinion: In all objectivity: Yes - from a more subjective point my personal "king" ist still the old 8868 - even it is not the best in some criterias listed above: But is soooo cool and one of the most innovative models which makes you stunning - a MUST Have.

But the Unimog is a MUST have too....

Just my 2ct

P.S.

The new 42030 Frontloader is not a competitor of the unimog - at least IMHO...it is a great PF assortment but in all other criterias apart from playability it plays in a lower league...

Edited by Kumbbl

Simple question.

Why is the unimog so popular with technic fans? can someone explain?

thanks!

I have merged your question with the Unimog discussion thread. There are 47 pages of why the Unimog is great....or not. Take your time reading them all :laugh:

Yeah Jim, Sorry about that :blush:

No problem.

OT: We are currently working on a set index where you can find the discussion topics more easily.

I think kumbbl has said it all very well, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. In a previous topic asking what makes a good flagship I posted this:

Here is what I think should make a flagship:

Authenticity (functionally and especially mechanically more so than aesthetically but all three are important),

lots of functionality (obviously. All functionality must work with a realistic sense of power and reliability, not like the outriggers of 42009),

complexity (but not for it's own sake. Must be complex not just to make it more complex but to recreate the complexity of the real life counterpart and out of a need to create lots of authentic functionality. I enjoy the complexities of sets like 8043 and 42009 and whilst they do display great skill by the designer I much prefer the complexity of sets like 8110, 8868 and 8455),

innovation (in terms of new functionality not seen or possible before),

new parts (to aid innovation but also to make things simpler and easier for 11-16 years olds to build and understand the mechanisms. Remember what I said about things not being complex just for the sake of complexity? New gearbox parts would make for a more authentic and innovative (in terms of technic) gearbox that is more efficient and reliable for motorisation and also easier to build requiring less parts and easier to fully understand how it creates all the different speed ratios. Requiring less parts to build it would also be available in smaller sets, keeping the mechanisms simple and easy to build whilst also increasing the complexity and authenticity of a model overall just by having a working transmission.),

high piece count (this one has a caveat. Like complexity, a high piece count should be there because it is needed to achieve another aspect of what makes a good flagship and not just for the sake of having a large piece count. Personally I consider 8455 one of the best flagships ever, looking at the list above it achieves many of it's requirements despite being under 800 pieces. That's not to say I prefer low piece counts, of course I would love lots of sets with over 2000 pieces, but if that high piece count isn't going towards making the model more mechanically authentic, leading to building many authentic mechanisms to reproduce many working functions and so on then having a high piece count turns into a negative as it is increasing the cost of the set, both to produce and to buy for no reason other than being able to say it has lots of parts, and can make for a needlessly long and boring build. It's like how having a big budget is usually needed to make a good summer blockbuster movie, but having a big budget does not guarantee it will be a good movie.)

A little extra touch of class (this is that little extra care that tells you this is something special. Like having engine blocks in green (is that the only thing 42030 gets right?) or 5x7 and 5x11 frames in new colours, or other more standard colour parts like axles, pneumatics and so on in other colours just to add that little extra, like the white axles in 8480 or the green axles in the barcode truck. For today's flagships intended for older builders I'de like to see colour vomit removed altogether, all pins and gears in black or grey, all axles in black except when aesthetics require otherwise (like 8480). And while I'm going down this road again why not a return of the clear plastic lids just for the flagships :grin:. Instructions that show this is a flagship model, not your run of the mill set for beginners, so one big thick book, less steps with more parts in each step and even those black and yellow chevrons on the edges. Also, more care should be but into the placement of controls in a flagship, so no little imaginary operators having to climb to the end of a boom to reach the knob that moves whatever is right next to it like was the case with 8258.)

To me the Unimog meets all the criteria set out above far better than any other set released in the last 10 years or more. It also has a great building experience. You build a 4x4 gear train into a live axle suspended chassis (a first for Lego), then some gearing and then a full pneumatic system. Not only is the build full of a variety of different and authentic mechanics, something rarely seen in modern so called "authentic" technic sets, it also doesn't feel diluted by countless beams and pins even if it does have a lot of those too. I'll always have love for the older legends like 8868, 8455, 8880 and a few more, not only for nostalgia but because they also meet the criteria I quoted above better than modern sets do. But thinking objectively, without nostalgia, 8110 is the number one technic set of all time. But 8880 really raised the bar! Oh and 8868 was just....oh I can never decide :blush:

Edited by allanp

Has anyone else had trouble getting the air compressor to work? Mine does a 180 degree turn then stops.