MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

Just thought I'd start this thread so that everything related to the #8110 Unimog U400 would be all in one place.

I'm so looking forward to this set as it is the flagship of 2011, also as it seems very realistic.

I found some good 'in depth' preliminary info about the Unimog U400 (scroll down)

Just post any new info you find here...

Edited by MSM_546

I can't wait for this ether ,As for the info above we have all seen it,has anyone else any newer news on this set yet ?

Edited by davidmull

It's on my to buy list too!

noticed this new gallery from a fella named dokludi...... apparently he's had a crack at reverse engineering this set already!

Unimog 8110 Moc by dokludi

I don't like people doing this as it ruins the excitement.

I don't like people doing this as it ruins the excitement.

I don't think it is ruining the excitement because i'm 99% sure it is just an attempt at reverse engineering looking from crappy preliminary pictures so it is only an interpretation, how he thinks it will become. Until we actually have the set and instructions out i doubt anyone can reverse engineer it perfectly.

As an addition we can say that since it has 2 XLs and 2 medium at least from some pictures it is not nearly what lego will release in 2H11.

Edited by Ultimario

Let us hope it will not be that ugly. :hmpf_bad: And there is at least one more thing it ruins-the differentials when the Unimog comes to an obstacle.

The Unimog looks great! But I am still not quite sure if it is the actual "Flagship" set this year. I am thinking that the 8070 Supercar is it. The Unimog really doesn't look like a very large set(Compared to the 8043 and 8258 sets), but I guess we'll see. :classic:

The Unimog looks great! But I am still not quite sure if it is the actual "Flagship" set this year. I am thinking that the 8070 Supercar is it. The Unimog really doesn't look like a very large set(Compared to the 8043 and 8258 sets), but I guess we'll see. :classic:

Of course it's the flagship it's the biggest box too and called the flagship on every site online,no way is the car a flagship because cars are boring and will never sell as well,so trust us it is the flagship

Of course it's the flagship it's the biggest box too and called the flagship on every site online,no way is the car a flagship because cars are boring and will never sell as well,so trust us it is the flagship

I am just saying that it doesn't seem like a very large set for a flagship. And I beg to differ that the cars do not sell. A car will always outsell a Vehicle that someone has no idea what it even is. When you go to your Local Toys R Us you see aisles of Hot Wheels and other Die cast cars so someone must be buying them. I don't know anyone who doesn't like cars.

I know in the pictures that it says 2 per box for the Unimog and 3 per box for the 8070, so that would insist that the Unimog is the Flagship, but from the pictures, it just looks like it's lacking.

Edited by TechnicJuan

I am just saying that it doesn't seem like a very large set for a flagship. And I beg to differ that the cars do not sell. A car will always outsell a Vehicle that someone has no idea what it even is. When you go to your Local Toys R Us you see aisles of Hot Wheels and other Die cast cars so someone must be buying them. I don't know anyone who doesn't like cars.

I know in the pictures that it says 2 per box for the Unimog and 3 per box for the 8070, so that would insist that the Unimog is the Flagship, but from the pictures, it just looks like it's lacking.

I like cars I am a motor mechanic and drive a Nissan skyline! I just don't like technic cars there boring,I like models with lots of functions like construction vehicals,just look how well the 8043 did and sells way more than any cars,that's my point,hopefully the unimog will be great.

What I think a flagship should have is a fully remote operated function whether pneumatics or LAs. The tires on dokludi's creation are much better than the one on the official preliminary pic imo, but black wheels go better with them. The real Mogs run on huge 365/85R20 Michelin XZL off road tires.

@davidmull

Off topic a little..What Skyline do you own? I always love the older gen R30, and the c210. R32 are also my fav. The newest r35 I think doesn't have the 'soul' of previous Skylines..too many computerized driving aids. Ever considered making MOC Lego Skyline? :grin:

I like cars I am a motor mechanic and drive a Nissan skyline! I just don't like technic cars there boring,I like models with lots of functions like construction vehicals,just look how well the 8043 did and sells way more than any cars,that's my point,hopefully the unimog will be great.

I'm curious as to how you know that the 8043 sells better than cars. Do you have access to some kind of sales figures that we don't?

There is a huge difference between "cars are boring" and "I find cars boring". You should definitely use the latter. If they were boring to everyone, do you think Lego would release any car sets?

I'm curious as to how you know that the 8043 sells better than cars. Do you have access to some kind of sales figures that we don't?

hmmm we got a insiderrrr!!!!!!

I'm going by looking in the shops in Ireland,most Lego fans here go for Lego with lots of functions and that's why sets like 8043 and 8258 sold very well and were literally gone from all shelve s , it's whatever ur into but I'm just saying I'd be shocked to see a car as a flagship that's all,

Well to me the Unimog looks much bigger and better than the 8070.

And why should a flagship have a fully remote control function? Being remote controlled is not a function and just makes it more of a childs toy to me. I actually prefer it when a flag ship is NOT remote controlled.

While i enjoy the lego technic super-cars i prefer the increased scope for functionality that other flagship models (usually construction stuff) allow...

but with a unimog being my dream choice of personal transport rather than a zonda or a caparo or whatever i'm clearly biased....

I'm going by looking in the shops in Ireland,most Lego fans here go for Lego with lots of functions and that's why sets like 8043 and 8258 sold very well and were literally gone from all shelve s , it's whatever ur into but I'm just saying I'd be shocked to see a car as a flagship that's all,

Every year that a "Supercar" has been released, it has been the flagship model for that year and in this particular case it is actually called "Supercar". I am not talking about the Enzo or Fiorano models as they didn't even carry the "Technic" name. Which by the way seem to be 2 of the most expensive Racer/Technic sets to currently buy.

And why should a flagship have a fully remote control function? Being remote controlled is not a function and just makes it more of a childs toy to me. I actually prefer it when a flag ship is NOT remote controlled.

It seems to me that you're forgetting that Technic sets are child's toys. This whole forum is about toys. Cool, sophisticated toys, yes, but toys nonetheless.

As for RC or non-RC, I say RC all the way. The fully RCed 8043 is one of the coolest Lego sets I've seen in a long time. I would love it if the Unimog had three differentials and a PF motor to drive the wheels. And if we're doing that, I'd love to have a functioning RC-able gearshift with several gears and reverse. I mean, that's not all I'd want, but those things would just make it a lot of fun.

It seems to me that you're forgetting that Technic sets are child's toys. This whole forum is about toys. Cool, sophisticated toys, yes, but toys nonetheless.

As for RC or non-RC, I say RC all the way. The fully RCed 8043 is one of the coolest Lego sets I've seen in a long time. I would love it if the Unimog had three differentials and a PF motor to drive the wheels. And if we're doing that, I'd love to have a functioning RC-able gearshift with several gears and reverse. I mean, that's not all I'd want, but those things would just make it a lot of fun.

See this is what I mean by everyone wants large functional sets!

8043? ........AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

When it comes to most technic you are right, they are childs toys, but the flagship has always been more than just a childs toy, well to me anyway. It could just be me but when I was a child I always considered my haul of christmas goodies as a bunch of childs toys, and one something cooler and way more exiting than the rest because it's not just some other childs toy, it's the technic flagship, it's not a toy, it's as close are practical to the real thing, just smaller. That's why realism in the way it works I think is so important. Don't get me wrong I don't mind it if a set is fully RC, I just don't think it really adds much to either and would rather the extra cost went on new, more authentic parts and more complexity.

The kind of remote control you described, with the 3 differencials and gearbox would be awesome. Imajine an RC supercar with a 5 or 6 + r sequncial remote controlled gearbox, with a new high rpm motor and more reasilstic gearbox parts that can handle lots of stress without sapping too much power from the motor to overcome it's internal friction. That really would be awesome. And also, why is it that only supercars have gearboxes? Most trucks (including all unimogs to my knowledge) have gearboxes. Just a random thought there, the Unimog still looks absolutely brilliant.

I don't know, maybe the dissapointing fully RC models of the past has put me off, but the future is not the past so I guess i'm open to it.