MSM_546

8110 - Unimog U400 General Discussion

Inspired by the talk of Eigenbroetler & Pat-Ard, I just finished building a U400 cab where the battery pack is mounted (or more precisely suspended) under the roof. Moreover, and best of all, my pneumatic raising function is strong enough, to still raise the cab(I was worried that it might not have the strengt, and due the design of the cab there are very few other ways of mounting those cylinders, if I was to maintain the orgrinal look of the U400). :classic:

Yeah Pat, I do - please just call me "Jacob"(or informally by my nickname, "Jake"). I have for more much longer than a week felt(it’s properly two or three weekends since the main rebuild was done), bad for not posting to this thread, but my time is limited and I want to polish all the truck befor uploading it. And my Unimog include many improvements from different people, who all have uploaded their improvements to this thread, so yeah I have read the thread and been inspired, and all the same I have for some part “just” integrated different mocs into one.

The other highlight of this winters rebuild include that I have swapped a PF M for a PF Sv for steering, and change that motors location two times(I am merely annoyed that didn't realize the second was possible before just replacing the motors, the first time)!

Hi Jake, did you see those other threads regarding the Unimog? I'm very interested in your changes...

Pat

I properly have, the front Axel for instance incorporates Nicjasno complete redesign (he wrote about it long ago, and made an YT video), with my small change to allow it to use the new style gear but with the same ratio. :classic:

Then the last change is moving away from differentials on the axels and using knob wheels instead, but keeping the center differential. That is in my view a fair tradeoff because yes, it remove realism (that the wheels do not rotates independently of each other), but then it give better driving performance.

And as I said back then it is a really great improvement over TLG design but its quit part expensive as he also noted himself, but I regard it as an essential upgrade (change) for proper functioning steering with servo r/c of it.

Hello, Everyone

Today I wanted to test how unimog ran on fresh batteries. However, with an extra battery box left on the bed, rather than the fixed under the roof - e.g there was two boxes.

Unfortunately, I drove on the living room table, which is approx. 45cm above the floor, and the first time I run forward I become aware of how fatally ill the Ir RC v2 receiver is located. Because U400 took a frontal crash directly onto the floor.

[uPDATE]
See my next post, the image is embedded there!
[/uPDATE]

Pictured here the repair, is not started after it happened this morning and I spent the day with family get-together.

It should be noted that during previous testing, I had approved the location of the RC receiver because it aesthetically a nice place and because it is difficult to tamper with, for my minors cousins ​​(They are all girls and, three to eleven years – there funniest game, besides actually playing with the vehicles, is to try to dismantle it). Nevertheless, the car escaped without major injuries, probably because like my altered deluxe 8043, it has been internally reinforced at all possible ways to make it as “kids safe”, as possible.

Edited by jacobkristensen

I see Amazon (UK,DE etc.) no longer sells the Unimog. It's only available from Marketplace sellers at about 10-20% more than Amazon used to have it. I fear the Unimog may now be EOL on Amazon - rather disappointing since I was on the verge of buying one.

For uk buyers Smyths toys currently sell the unimog and there is a 20% off code for Easter : EASTER20

I ordered mine using that last week. The code last until the 12th and it maybe possible to use in store too if you have a branch nearby.

Nope pat, that last bit is the video showing the bed tilt cylinder. But can you find the Pf Sv, naah just kidding - I have come to like it, and got repaired within 10 minutes during the weekenden. But do you like/approve of my improvements?

Got a unimog recently, built it, and love it.

Looking forward to motorizing it. Don't have much experience with motorizing things, would buying set 4x4 crawler (which I plan on doing anyways) give me all the parts I need ?

I've also managed to modify the front suspension to be more proper. Based on the LPE Power one, but using almost exclusively parts from the unimog set front suspension + bed + crane / plow

HI rchan016.

welcome on EB...

The crawler is OK, because you'll have a servo-motor, but I don't know if the L-Motor has enough power for driving the Unimog. I used a XL-Motor.

Pat

rchan016

2L Motors will probably be sufficient, if there's space (I don't know as I don't have the Unimog)

Hi Jake,

you must have some copyright music in your video. I can't watch it in Germany.

Pat

HI rchan016.

welcome on EB...

The crawler is OK, because you'll have a servo-motor, but I don't know if the L-Motor has enough power for driving the Unimog. I used a XL-Motor.

Pat

What if I gear down using the portal axles, instead of 2x16t gears, I used 1x8t + 1x24t? I know if I remove the 4 cylinder engine I should have the space to gear it down even more.

Of course there's also the servo motor for steering, the IR reciever, and the battery pack I also have to add on.

Yes, gearing down is good. I did this, too. I don't know, if gearing down further would help.

Hi Jake,

yes, now it worked, thanks... Too sad, that there's no view of the whole Unimog...

Pat

I see Amazon (UK,DE etc.) no longer sells the Unimog. It's only available from Marketplace sellers at about 10-20% more than Amazon used to have it. I fear the Unimog may now be EOL on Amazon - rather disappointing since I was on the verge of buying one.

DE at least has it again, its up to 150 though :(

Hi Jake,

yes, now it worked, thanks... Too sad, that there's no view of the whole Unimog...

Pat

I promise that I will post some Pictures(maybe a photosynth) when I am done routing cables and try fitting the air tank where the batteri box used to be. I might also hold on until I have test if I can make the bed rising powered by a mLa + pf L.

Sorry for digging this thread out of the grave, but I just finished building the main body and have an issue with the HOG steering. When I turn the HOG wheel on top, the front wheels don't turn. I checked my work and it seems to be fine. Any ideas what can cause this?

NM, I found the problem. I totally missed putting a gear in... Time to rip it apart

Edited by FuzzyBallz