KimT

Endor Moon Diorama by Morten

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So since I'm having my 3rd child in a few days, I can't participate in this year's LEGOWorld in Copenhagen (DK).

Thus Morten kindly "asked" me to help him out with his layout.

I've been a "consultant" on minor design issues when it comes to the platform, but my main job has been designing the greenery and taking pictures as we went along.

It's not done yet at all - so Morten hasn't got time to post anything about it.

I do and I will :classic:

First up we take a look at the surrounding green stuff.

We pooled all our green greeble, plants and leaves and I started out doing a few "test-builds" for possible solutions and designs.

5367798777_f9da1dfa6c.jpg

5368409336_d2660554a4.jpg

Then we counted all those tree-leaves (?) and I started doing something junglish

It's 2-3 layers of leaves and some greeble, which include mushrooms, piraka hair, bushes, ants, dinosaur tails, sea-weed and some palmtrees.

5368411544_f9933243a2.jpg

5367802549_bae88bc065.jpg

5367803605_bc0e65d48d.jpg

5368412230_cc6d2fbeb6.jpg

It turned out pretty well in my opinion, but we quickly used up all of our tree-leaves.

I had no idea around 300 of those would dissappear in the jungle on only 4 32x32 baseplates :sceptic:

We had to devise a new plan for the surrounding forrest.

So this is where we are right now:

5368432866_ff4a7de987.jpg

The plates with 1x1 round brick with bamboo leaves are probably not making the cut, but the other ones to the right, definately are.

The flower stems are quite effective when put together in pairs.

So I've rushed the LEGO store and bought me a large cup of those and that's quite a few :laugh:

The plan is to make a bunch of baseplates with some green plates for leveling and then add a zillion flower stems and bushes.

Some of the jungle still lives as I've fallen for the idea :blush:.

But a lot of it died when we reminded ourselves that we needed trees - there are trees on Endor and a diorama with no trees would look kinda silly.

So out comes the hatchet and gone was a lot of the jungle to make these trees:

5368430356_a549ed564e.jpg

5367820417_e1703a121d.jpg

5367820991_d54eb5da63.jpg

5367821531_cb91e22f3e.jpg

Not sure how I am to find more time to help Morten - hopefully I can and will soon.

As for the enormous MOC itself I can't say much.

Morten has spend weeks on figuring out how to make the whole thing stable enough.

It has to be movable, it has to have the new UCS Shuttle on top and the top platform has to be straight and steady as a rock.

Not an easy task - there's a whole bundle of technic parts inside the towers and the platform is quite heavy to lift.

Though it seems that it's going to work out just fine.

And now a pictorial progress of the build - when I was there and did some photos.

Coffee and candy is always good to have when MOCing :grin:

5368407054_7c51410846.jpg

First tower (later destroyed to be rebuild properly).

Different designs for pathwalks tested.

5368408286_1ce2ffa07c.jpg

Second tower added.

5368410348_ec72106173.jpg

Some technic parts sticking out.

Towers connected by pathwalk.

5367804007_62d95826b9.jpg5367804563_1b1930a80a.jpg

Towers are moved to new table to allow setting up some of the surrounding forrest.

The testtower is no more and these are for keeps.

5367805669_afcbd39e73.jpg

As you can see 3-4 baseplates of jungle is NOTHING. :sceptic:

5367810141_7faa24503b.jpg5367810519_491ed5c416.jpg

5367810997_46dd59728e.jpg5367812007_db1b2038e6.jpg

A few pics of the technic design that holds everything together when lifting it.

5368422754_ecbb1e7793.jpg5368423162_ab391c385b.jpg

Pathway shots - a test to see if it works as intended.

5368424820_47bc0c4095.jpg5367815169_f7a7d71b17.jpg

The platform's rough start.

5368426020_6837984458.jpg5368426700_01f835744d.jpg

5368427968_eb711e1330.jpg5368428586_93c981cc82.jpg

"Yeah baby!" :wub:

So this is where it's at.

I hope to post more pics soon.

Any thoughts and comments on this are more than welcome.

Full flickr gallery

Holy Megablocks that's huge! You guys have done really really well. :thumbup: I'm going to assume that this isn't quite finished and I can't wait to see it finished! I sure wish I could see this in person.... :blush:

Coming along very nicely, that landing pad looks impressive! :thumbup:

That's the UCS Imperial Shuttle, isn't it?

Also, I have the feeling that AT-AT should be a bit more scaled up: it's an official model, but I think it would be much better if it was able to reach those "bridges" (or whatever those closed-in corridors would be called), since it looks a little small in comparison with the landing platform.. But the rest looks great, keep it up - looking forward to see the finished model.. Can't wait to get to build my own Endor diorama soon. (although I am going to start with the bunker)

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Not only is it huge, but Morten rejects building anything in light bluish gray *huh*

Coming along very nicely, that landing pad looks impressive! :thumbup:

That's the UCS Imperial Shuttle, isn't it?

Also, I have the feeling that AT-AT should be a bit more scaled up: it's an official model, but I think it would be much better if it was able to reach those "bridges" (or whatever those closed-in corridors would be called), since it looks a little small in comparison with the landing platform.. But the rest looks great, keep it up - looking forward to see the finished model.. Can't wait to get to build my own Endor diorama soon. (although I am going to start with the bunker)

~ General Magma

Stunning! :wub: I'm with General Magma though; the AT-AT needs high heels! :grin:

Yeah we've been trying to work around that.

Our plan is to use a few of the new AT-AT's and just place them far enough from the towers for it to be easily spotted. We don't have the time nor skill to design our own AT-AT's.

We're diorama MOCers and suck a vehicles.

High heels is noted as a solution - we'd have to add some pink to the AT-AT's then :laugh:

Plus we're making a soccer lane and a tennis lane for stormie recreation. :grin:

WOW this is really impressive :thumbup:

I really like the gray structure under the landing pad.

This is huge! This is already looking great. Good job so far. Can't wait to find out if the stormies are good in tennis and soccer :wink:

Edited by mcbbvb

Wow, this thing is going to be huge. It already is, actually. I LOVE all the details on this, you and him have done an amazing job. I can only dream of building something this great :tongue:

WOW! What a stunning MOC! :wub:

You guys are really pushing the envelope this time. I can't wait to see how this beauty turns out when finished but I can already tell it is going to be amazing!

I take it you are going to display it at some up coming show?

Looks like it's coming along quite nicely; can't wait to see it finished! I agree the AT-AT needs to be taller-not sure if you can pull off the forced perspective with a dio meant to be viewed from all sides. I also kinda remember that the trees on Endor towered over the platform...

Just scrolling down the page I was like 'hang-on, those trees are on the LANDING PLATFORM - OMG - this is BIG'. Then of course I scrolled further down and now I'm just lost for words - I'll settle for stunning. Can't wait to see more.

WOW! What a stunning MOC! :wub:

You guys are really pushing the envelope this time. I can't wait to see how this beauty turns out when finished but I can already tell it is going to be amazing!

I take it you are going to display it at some up coming show?

Thanks and yes, it's for LEGOWorld 2011 in CPH

Very impressive. I agree with the AT-AT comment but it's a minor detail that probably doesn't need to be bothered with. Think I'm going to have to steal that tree design for my much, much smaller endor diorama.

At first I didn't realize how massive this whole thing would be. At the last pictures I was really stunned. This totally looks amazing. Fantastic work :thumbup:

Looking good KimT, I love the landing platform, and the pathways inside are stunningly accurate. Are you going to lay down brown plates, and them put plant pieces on top? That would make look even better! I never have liked a lot of baseplate showing....

Any ways, congrats on building this massive MOC it looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbup:

Wow! This is looking amazing, truly a piece of art. Your plants are very creative, and defiantly show the jungle of Endor.

Great job both of you :thumbup:

Simply one word to describe it: :yoda:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

Wish I could buy that masterpiece! :tongue:

Thanks for building and showing it! Please keep us updated with the updates of this and others. :thumbup:

Edited by Raptor

Amazingly huge and impressive! That is what I called a solid proportional scale environment for the UCS vehicles. :thumbup:

Looking forward to more pictures.

Oh wow, that's one massive and amazing Endor diorama, I'm loving the progress so far! :wub: Mightily impressive work KimT and Morten! :thumbup: Really can't wait for the final product.

Thanks and yes, it's for LEGOWorld 2011 in CPH

Just curious thought, how are you gonna transport that diorama so huge? Or are you building it already in the place of the event?

That is epic, I love that scene and you guys really took the time to make Endor look good.

Not only is it huge, but Morten rejects building anything in light bluish gray *huh*

It is all built in old grey?? Has he lost his mind??

It looks awesome Morten/Kim.

How about just using one beefed up AT-AT instead?

I can probably force Superkalle to help me finnish what I started.

Let me know what you think. It will not be there until Saturday though since we are coming in Friday afternoon.