Sign in to follow this  
Fires-storm

Sparrow

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Sparrow was invented by the Sky Pirates for good PR and recruitment, and as a result entered into the world circuit in the late 1930's. The Sparrow's maneuverability and speed have made it an excellent racer, even in the high altitude spiral cup, where participants are challenged to complete a 300 mile course through dizzying spins and loops touching each ring they pass at a minimum of 400 mph.

Now for some stats:

Speed: 430 mph

Max Altitude: 25,000 ft.

Engine: Mercedes RBI Mk5(custom made)

Pilot: Raina Garland(the only one insane enough to actually get in the thing.)

(note: full credit to John Lamarck for the cockpit window design :laugh: )

Now on to pics! Front:

5343321000_3008d587c6_z.jpg

Side:

5343321044_5e3b34995d_z.jpg

Rear view, it has working flaps!:

5342711475_fa25d0d483_z.jpg

Top side:

5343321198_c7a1a2648d_z.jpg

And finally a bottom view, this one is nice for me as it shows it's working landing gear, as well as the flaps!:

5343321250_b4c2fd7a37_z.jpg

My main inspirations while building this were the Rocketeer, as well as looking at premier air races from the 30's. Also slight inspiration from the P-51 slipped in, although not much :tongue: I hope you all enjoy the plane!

(Note: please forgive the photography, I had to force my camera to work and rush through the photos. I hope it is still slightly enjoyable all the same :blush: )

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

She's a beauty. I love planes from that era, their lines are graceful, but they have a lot of power as well. On your model, I find the working flaps especially appealing, and the use of color helps to accentuate them.

She's a beauty. I love planes from that era, their lines are graceful, but they have a lot of power as well. On your model, I find the working flaps especially appealing, and the use of color helps to accentuate them.

Thank you, the aircraft of the 30's are why I've fallen in love with that era as well! I'm glad that you like the Sparrow so much :laugh: