gcanik

[MOC] Lockheed P-38 Lightning

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

img_2933.jpg Here is a World War II Lookheed P-38 Lightning or "Fork-Tailed Devil"

More images availabe at :http://mocpages.com/moc.php/193756

Thanks for viewing

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Great MOC! I've always loved this model since I saw it on a Transformer (Highbrow if you care). I wonder, is the gear retractable?

This is a beautiful recreation of one of the most unique planes of WWII. It is interesting to see the development on this MOC on the link you've provided.

Great MOC! I always enjoy seeing beautiful planes on here, and this doesn't disappoint! I love all the details packed in... Such as the landing gear and the yellow bits on the propeller. Great job recreating a great plane. :thumbup:

AWESOME fighter 'gcanik' and by the looks of the landing gear is retractable ! :thumbup:

Great work and totally Brick On 'gcanik' ! :grin:

I'll echo the comments above that this is a really a beautiful airplane. I simply love the overall dual-tail design and the nice small details like the retractable landing gears and the yellow propeller tips . Very well done gcanik! :thumbup:

Great MOC! I've always loved this model since I saw it on a Transformer (Highbrow if you care). I wonder, is the gear retractable?

The landing gear is retractable, sort of, because of the body design and space allowed the wheels are removable (built around technic pins) but the landing struts do retract into the the body allowing for the landing gear panels to close fully. Here are some pics showing this feature and thanks for all the comments...

img_2929.jpg

img_2930.jpg

img_2931.jpg

The P-38 is a lovely plane and you've captured many of its features in your model :thumbup:

There are a few things I don't like, though. On the real plane the shape from the bottom of the engine to the base on the tailfin follows a single continuous curve, whereas on yours there's a bit of a bump (which it shares with the P-38 by Mechanized brick, by the way). The wheels on the real plane retract aft and while it would undoubtedly be a tight fit, I reckon you can find space behind the wing in the tailboom to store them. I reckon you made the central fuselage 5 studs wide -not a particularly easy thing to do- to find enough space for the nosegear, but the fuselage on the P-38 is really narrow. In fact, I reckon it would be at most three or fours studs wide on the scale of your plane. It will complicate construction of the nosegear, but my suggestion would be to make it four studs wide.

This is undoubtedly a very difficult aircraft and I applaud you for having a go.

Cheers,

Ralph