Sign in to follow this  
smokebelch

X-Mas Star Wars Photography Contest - Winners!

Ok then here we go the very first Eurobricks Photography contest results.... Drumroll please ...

... But first a few quick words regarding a shot which we have decided not to judge, and this may come as a surprise to many of you as it looked like this was a shoe-in for the winner. The shot in question is Avanaut's - 'Mr Vader Finds His Lot in Life' now fenris and I both felt that while its awesome to seeing Avanaut contributing here (and long may it continue) he is such an amazing photographer, and his entry is sooo good it kinda went against the spirit of the contest which is to get you guys to contribute more to the photography thread. Fenris contacted Avanaut regarding our decision and he completely agreed and actually felt the same way and was relieved that we wouldn't including his photo.

Avanaut also offered his services if we needed any help judging the comp- which it turned out we did!. Fenris and I both found the judging so much harder than we originally thought, there were so many great entries and where this is the first contest that has been purely based on photography the criteria for what made a 'winning' shot was difficult to decide. So we gratefully accepted Avanaut's offer and he became a guest judge, and his shot gets an honourable mention. Me and fenris eventually narrowed it down to a top 5, and then we scored the shots based on photographic skill (composition, lighting etc.) and idea (humour, fitting the contest brief etc.) then Avanaut did the same and we polled the results and came up with a top 3...

Our winning shot is....

Burman's - 'A little kiss under the mistletoe... Droid' http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50173

'A sweet shot of some robot lurve' as Avanaut put it. Love the simplicity of this one, great idea nicely executed. Fits the brief perfectly, crisp shot very christmassy and funny, and a subtle amount of editing. Congrats to Burman a deserving winning shot.  :thumbup:

Coming in close behind in second place is....

TinyPiesRUs- Winter Patrol http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50022

The more all 3 of us looked at this one the more we liked it. Such an interesting shot- the composition is so great. Bit rough round the edges, but shows great potential. 

Again I'm gonna quote Avanaut on this one as he puts it far better than I can :laugh:

'It's almost a casual shot with an interesting reversed dynamics composition: the action is against the direction we read and thus more dramatic. The angle is bold and supports wonderfully the positioning of the troopers bringing out their legs.'

And in third place....

Solscud007- Xmas Death Star http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49862

A wonderful christmas scene aboard to death star with some fantastic lighting. Loads of nice details on this one- so many great little elements to look at, and a nice balance between a MOC and Photograph.

Congrats to the winners- Im guessing that you'll need to contact KimT with your details for the great prizes that you've won. And a big thanks to our Star Wars mods KimT for initiating the contest and supplying the prizes, and Stash as well. And thanks so much to all you guys for all your entries, and your patience while fenris and I attempted to judge the comp via PM (& phone in the end as well!)

We'd like to add a couple more honourable mentions as well-

Mos_Eisley - 'The Emperors Christmas Arrival' http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50159

This was one amazing scene, and was in our top 5 but just lost out. While its a very very nice photograph, and its certainly not easy to get such a clear shot of such a large scene, ultimately it was slightly more of an awesome MOC than it was a photo. Awesome display of troops though.

Darkblane - 'These Arn't The Trees...' http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49868

This was our other top 5 shot. Very funny idea and nice clear crisp photography, but just lost out on a top spot.

Overall a HUGE thanks to all that entered, and we look forward to all your contributions in the Photography thread here,- http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27600&st=0 a great place to hone you shooting skills and get feedback on your shots- post em up!

Anyways thats enough of my yacking congrats to our winners of the first Eurobricks Photography Contest- here's hoping there will be many more to come :wink:

Congrats to the winners! All these shots are wonderfully taken, with awesome effects. Great job!

And Brickdoctor owes someone $10 :tongue:

Congrats to the winners! All these shots are wonderfully taken, with awesome effects. Great job!

Whew I cant believe I got third place. After seeing some of the other great shots. I thought, boy my picture is kinda lack luster. Maybe its because I was one of the first to post. Seeing so many great submissions got me worried haha.

Congrats to the other winners. I dont know why but I TOTALLY forgot about the droids kissing. My brain got stuck on Avanut's awesome picture.

Congratulations to the winners.

And :thumbup: for the judges, you really choose wisely. These are awesome pictures.

As mentioned the winners will have to pm me their adresses, so I'll know where to ship the prizes.

Congrats to the winnters. Seeing all of the photographs and creativity is what I love about these contests. In some respects, it doesn't matter who wins or loses!

:blush: Thank You both so much for awarding me first place. I really didn't think I would win at all and this has made my week. I also want to congratulate TinyPiesRUs and Solscud007 who both had fantastic entries. Also, Well Done to the honorary mentions and not forgeting everyone else who took part.

I just cannot get over it. Thanks so much :classic:

Well done to the winners - some fantastic artistic work and thanks to the organizers, great how you keep coming up with some original entries. I liked the idea of having expert judges, some of the recent contests have been marred ever so slightly by the odd bad egg twisting the rules and friends voting for each other etc.

Not my fault that I didn't know he had agreed not to have his photo counted. Anyways, cralegoboy owes someone too. :tongue:

Congratulations, Burman! It really was a wonderfully composed photo.

Anyways, cralegoboy owes someone too. :tongue:

Nah, I never officially bet any money :tongue:!

Congrats to the winners! All well deserved. :thumbup:

Congratulations to the winners, very well deserved! Great job on the other entrants as well. Kudos too to the organizers and judges of this wonderful photography contest, well done everybody! :thumbup:

Congratualtions guys those are some mighty fine shots! :thumbup:

All the entries were superb and I cant wait to see what comes next for a SW contest! :sweet:

A big thanks to the guys that prepared this, it was really well done. And thanks to Fenris and Smokebelch for being judges! You guys did a great job! :thumbup:

Congratulations to the winners. There were some great shots. Thanks to Smokebelch and Fenris for judging, and thanks to KimT for the prizes.

Congratulations to Burman, Soluscud and TPRU. These three photos are definitely worthy of being winners. I think the judges did well in their choices.

Great job everyone! I think it's too bad that Avanaut is penalized for already being a great photographer though.

I just received my Vader in the mail today. I love him! :wub:

A big thanks to everyone involved, this contest was a lot of fun to follow.

I just received my Vader in the mail today. I love him! :wub:

A big thanks to everyone involved, this contest was a lot of fun to follow.

Wow that was fast. I have not recieved my Stormie yet. Congrats, I really wanted that Chrome Vader haha

Wow that was fast. I have not recieved my Stormie yet. Congrats, I really wanted that Chrome Vader haha

They all shipped out on the same day ten days ago or so.

Should be reaching you soon.