Breakdown

"Money Train"

Ive been messing around with my new layout and one of my biggest challenges is getting the 12V engine to climb some of my ramps to the bridge that I'm putting into the layout with rolling stock behind it.

So here's my idea and I think that this gives the train more speed on the regular tracks as well.

Start filling the back of the engine with money. It provides more weight on the engine and reduces tire spin kind of like a Front Wheel Drive car uses the engine weight to climb hills in the snow.

Ima have to queue up the movie sometime soon, the DVD's around here somewhere!!

That may be an option, however, you have to remember that more weight equals less torque for pulling cars. I use the 9V system and it also struggles with inclines even slight. The PF motors handle it best because of the rubber bands on the traction wheels. Another solution I will be exploring hopefully this year is the grade conversion. (i.e. 1:1 to Lego 1:42? scale) Actual standard US rail lines use no more than a 2% unless accompanied by "helper" engines. I am no mathematician but, I can figure the basics by what will be able to run. I'm not sure if you have long trains or if you are running stock sets. Too bad there isn't a simple motor swap that we could use :tongue: Good luck with the route you choose!

That may be an option, however, you have to remember that more weight equals less torque for pulling cars. I use the 9V system and it also struggles with inclines even slight. The PF motors handle it best because of the rubber bands on the traction wheels. Another solution I will be exploring hopefully this year is the grade conversion. (i.e. 1:1 to Lego 1:42? scale) Actual standard US rail lines use no more than a 2% unless accompanied by "helper" engines. I am no mathematician but, I can figure the basics by what will be able to run. I'm not sure if you have long trains or if you are running stock sets. Too bad there isn't a simple motor swap that we could use :tongue: Good luck with the route you choose!

The best solution would be a third 12V motor. We'll see if we can make that happen. I love how the 7745 train runs with motors at both ends.

We'll see what I start needing in terms of track upgrades once I get further into my layout.

What told me money and weight would work.

When a train is stuck on a hill, put your finger on top, don't help in forward just apply a little weight, it'll move on it's own . . . . provided that it's on.

When a train is stuck on a hill, put your finger on top, don't help in forward just apply a little weight, it'll move on it's own . . . . provided that it's on.

My 4.5V and 12V motors have no trouble climbing inclines of 1 brick per track length pulling a few carriages on 4.5V track. Your observations suggests the traction on your engines is not sufficient. Are your rubber tires on your motors old and hard? If so you should buy some replacements which will make a huge difference without requiring more weight.