Sign in to follow this  
filospinato

MOD - Bounty Hunter Gunship (7930)

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I picked up the Bounty Hunter Gunship the other day. It's a pretty cool set with some neat features. One part of the design, in my opinion, which is totally lacking is the attachment for the cockpit cover. The original design calls for two pieces that don't have enough friction between them to keep the top closed during roll maneuvers; the weight of the lid causes it to fall open.

th_IMG_0151.jpg th_IMG_0152.jpg th_IMG_0153.jpg

I didn't want to change how all of the curved slopes and tiles look in that area but I did want to fix this. It occurred to me to use the same pieces that the Separatist Shuttle uses to close its canopy.

th_IMG_0154.jpg th_IMG_0155.jpg th_IMG_0156.jpg

As you can see, this MOD isn't very invasive. It does require the removal of the two original bits and the addition of 5 new parts. Nothing needs to be moved or repositioned, the new hinge sits on previously open studs.

th_IMG_0157.jpg

The result, in my mind, is totally acceptable. I don't usually MOD sets, I like to build them as the factory intended and leave them at that but this one cried for some attention. Now the canopy stays open when opened and stays shut during barrel rolls.

th_IMG_0158.jpg

Anyways, thought I would share in case anyone else has been having this same frustration.

Cheers,

Jake

Great mod. I think this was the biggest flaw of the set, and it could be easily fixed if Lego wasn't so ignorant.

That's a very useful mod fixing that flaw in the Gunship. It makes me really wonder why TLG put that hinge assembly in the first place and it seems they never checked the 'swooshability' effect on the moving parts. Probably the major consideration is the opening of the cockpit roof using click-hinge parts will be more difficult compared to that clip-assembly.

That's a very useful mod fixing that flaw in the Gunship. It makes me really wonder why TLG put that hinge assembly in the first place and it seems they never checked the 'swooshability' effect on the moving parts. Probably the major consideration is the opening of the cockpit roof using click-hinge parts will be more difficult compared to that clip-assembly.

I doubt that given that the click hinge attachment for that piece is the same design used in the '07 Sith Infiltrator wings, which were actually a little too floppy while swooshing.

Interesting. I didn't know there was a problem with it as I don't own it yet.

While this mod is a good solution (and should have been done in the first place), I probably can't use it as I haven't got the parts, unless I decide to rip apart a set, which I just might...

Edit: I've just taken apart a truck for the parts, so I'll apply this mod as soon as I get the set. :classic:

Edited by Delta 38

Nice and easy modification.

Not sure I'd swoosh my BHAG upside down anyways :laugh:

blogged

You know I never checked with the craft fully upside down when I reviewed it, I'll look at it tomorrow ! :blush:

I guess no one especially Lego is perfect !

Thanks for the tip anyway 'filospinato' and may the brick be with you ! :yoda: