marshal_banana

UCS Sandcrawler MOC

That is awesome, what a great job :thumbup: With the movement would it be easier to have the rear wheels steer the beast as per TLC design?

Also are you using lego motors to drive the crawler as if its 10kg would lego motors cope under that type of stress.

A small update. I'm still waiting for the final bricklink orders. The details of the hull are finished but I still have to make some changes here and there. :laugh:

The next steps are: The internal frame, the ramp, the engines and I also have to work on the crawlers again ... :sadnew:

5470243059_616ee2d22a_z.jpg

Edited by marshal_banana

Wow, that's truly amazing what you've accomplished so far. :thumbup:

Wow! I just love the totally unneeded SNOT work in the side, which gives it a really nice detailed look. Just like a studio model! :thumbup:

I see you haven't yet fixed that angle in the back... you're going to want to do so now before it screws up your proportions.

As for the detail... it's truly amazing. The greebling looks spot-on and even the discoloration is in all the right places.

Hi thank you for your comments!

I see you haven't yet fixed that angle in the back... you're going to want to do so now before it screws up your proportions.

Yes this angle is a problem and I will not fix it, because it will end up with an ugly gap and I probably have to cancel this angle. It would be from two to one stud. In my opinion It's a small detail that will not make a big impact on the proportions of the entire model but on the stability! :wink:

5473427652_710a5637e2_z.jpg

i agree also i am not putting that angle on mine either and also won't be putting the angle of the front sides and will be keeping them veticle. i understand that it won't be acurate and will therefore be giving myself a 1000 lashes with a litghsabre whip!

*oh2* why? You have to, I did it! :laugh:

no you haven't i count 2 studs wide at the bottom and the top, the top tapers in so should be wider there than the bottom.

Yes this angle is a problem and I will not fix it, because it will end up with an ugly gap and I probably have to cancel this angle. It would be from two to one stud. In my opinion It's a small detail that will not make a big impact on the proportions of the entire model but on the stability! :wink:

[snip]

I can understand the stability issue, but I thought leaving that angle out would change the shape of the rear significantly. It does taper in towards the back, and leaving that section straight will change the look and the amount of greeble you'll be able to include. So I guess it's more or a shape issue than a proportion issue - but in any case, the aesthetics will be drastically altered. :classic:

EDIT: Is cavegod right? I'm not sure...

Edited by fallenangel309

I can understand the stability issue, but I thought leaving that angle out would change the shape of the rear significantly. It does taper in towards the back, and leaving that section straight will change the look and the amount of greeble you'll be able to include. So I guess it's more or a shape issue than a proportion issue - but in any case, the aesthetics will be drastically altered. :classic:

EDIT: Is cavegod right? I'm not sure...

from that picture it's a yes, just look at the right side, you can clearly see more of the side at the top than the bottom.

Looks really amazing Marshal! Looking forward to see more pictures in the future of what looks like something that will

truley be one of the best Sandcrawlers ever.

The Sandcrawler was the set take me out from dark age,i buy on ebay years after the set come out,and (for me)is the best set from star wars.

I have motorize mine because it need to be motorized(and remote controlled),

But your creation is unbelievable AMAZING!!!I hope you can finish and i want to see it live,so I'm a conformist! and send me a PM when you finish it and take it to an exposition!

From Italy all the best for your creation!!

Very nice, very nice indeed! Again dimensions are wrong, but that doesn't suprise me, it's always like that in big star wars creations

Very nice, very nice indeed! Again dimensions are wrong, but that doesn't suprise me, it's always like that in big star wars creations

Where? Other than the two areas cavegod and I mentioned, that is.

again dimensions are wrong

Actually no. If you use the Star Wars databank it says that the Sandcrawler is about 37 meters and the Millennium Falcon 27 meters long. The LEGO UCS Millennium Falcon is 84 cm long, so the Sandcrawler should be about 115 cm to fit minifigscale. And if finished I'm quiet close to this length. :sweet:

Beside that the studiomodel is about 125 cm long.

Edited by marshal_banana

Actually no. If you use the Star Wars Databank it says that the Sandcrawler is about 37 meters and the Millennium Falcon 27 Meters long. The Lego UCS Millennium Falcon is 84 cm long, so the Sandcrawler should be about 115 cm to fit minifigscale. And if finished I'm quiet close to this length. :sweet:

Beside that the studiomodel is about 125 cm long.

The ratio Lego used for the falcon is not a standard ratio, so it doesn't fit in the standard 1 foot - 1 stud, or the 6 feet figure scale. You are correct in that based on the UCS falcon it would be around 115 so will end up being huge. Looking cool so far.

Yes it's actually larger. If you calculate with 170 centimeter as standard body hight for europeans and with the hight of a minifig with 4,2 centimeter, then you will get following results: 67 cm for the MF and 92 cm for the crawler. But bigger is alweys better :wink:

Yes i can vouch for the size as mine has the same dimensions it's gonna be one big beast! and surprisingly not that heavy so far.

But bigger is alweys better :wink:

Disagreed.

For a given quantity of detail, I would say that smaller is always better.

I see no reason to make something bigger that what's necessary, excepted for showing off, and for the sake of saying "Haha, look, my model is twice bigger than yours (but do not repeat that : it's quite pointless, I could have easily build the same model twice smaller)"

I do not like Sandcraler cause it is not a nice looking model, but the size of your model seems pretty good with the great details you put in it. :thumbup:

Edited by Anio