marshal_banana

UCS Sandcrawler MOC

Hi all. The hole thing is getting really big and complex! The new base is now 74 studs long, so the scale is more accurate and the size is close to the giant studio model! :thumbup:

5354673564_4a0ae26fc8_z.jpg

But I really have some problems with the "tank" gearbox. All my work yesterday was for nothing. :laugh: Do you have some ideas and hints?

I tested the first type of gearbox. It's really powerful (but the prototype was not sturdy enough.)

metal_gearbox_7.jpg

What do you think of the second gearbox? Maybe a better solution?

GearBox-1.jpg

And this I found on youtube! Cool!

:wub:

:laugh:

I expect a good progress this weekend, so stay tune for the next steps ;-) And thank you for your help! :thumbup:

Edited by marshal_banana

What is the Sandcrawler goiung to weigh when finished..It will be very heavy so i'd think you would need to large motors in each track just to move it never mind steering, those black link are very soft plastic and will rip apart under the stress of turning or even moving for that matter. Still, prove me wrong and give us more pictures!! :thumbup:

i don't know if this is powered at all but it sits on the tracks well.

sandcrawler.jpg

Wait, aren't you using LEGO gears? Or are those assemblies just examples? Unfortunately I'm no good with Technic, so I can't help you there.

i hope you will have the steering on the front treads unlike legos inacurate rear steer.

Crawler test drive. They are slow but strong, really strong! A single crawler can handle a weight of 5 kg! :wub:

test drive

i hope you will have the steering on the front treads unlike legos inacurate rear steer.

I'm going to use a regular tank steering mechanism. I also think that the studio model of ILM is working this way.

that works great, will the full width of the SC skid steer that easily though?

Nice. So according to the flickr description, the final assembly of four treads will handle 10kg? How much do you think the final model will weigh?

is it just me or are the tops of the outer treads deforming the inside treads look fine.

At the moment I have serious problems with the mounting suspension! :wacko: Pictures will follow as I'm a good step further. Sorry.

So here we are:

Second test drive with mounted chassis. Driving is no problem and fast as in the first test.

Of course turning is more difficult, but I'm still happy with it.

test drive 2

Certainly appears the motors will have no problem moving this beast.

The thing I noticed, though, is that I'm 90% sure sandcrawlers rotated the front pair of treads to turn... Could be wrong though.

Certainly appears the motors will have no problem moving this beast.

The thing I noticed, though, is that I'm 90% sure sandcrawlers rotated the front pair of treads to turn... Could be wrong though.

I hope it will handle the total weight. Just the chassis is heavier as expected!

:wink:

You' re right. The books say they do, but:

- turning treads like that makes no sense at all.

- the mechanism would be to complex, not stable enough and I don't have the space, because I need it for the interior and the front hatch mechanism.

- other model builder did it the same way

- actually I think the studio modell can't turn at all, in the movies it always drives straight! :laugh:

Edited by marshal_banana

No update yet?? :thumbdown:

Yes I know, but I'm really not in hurry, I try to build the best Sandcrawler I can achieve, so I have time. :tongue: