marshal_banana

UCS Sandcrawler MOC

*Gasp* That is looking fantastic already, and it's not even half-way done. This is impressive, and I am now looking forward to each and every update.

I mean, just look at those wonderful details on the wall. :wub:

not being picky but do the side taper in towards the top? it looks like they are vertical in the pictures. :sceptic:

Wow, this is looking really cool so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it - especially how you tackle all the greebling at the rear. Will you be putting the vacuum tube thing that sucks up droids on this?

not being picky but do the side taper in towards the top? it looks like they are vertical in the pictures. :sceptic:

They're so tall that they probably lean inwards with no interior or roof to brace them.

The other thing that really surprised me was the use of the 4-wide treads. I'd though the bigger ones would be needed to keep everything proportionate.

I would also use the newer treads. A low estimate would be that the crawler will be around 5kg. With interior even more. The pressure on the treads will be high and if you want to drive it, may be they can stand it, but turning will be too much for them and the chains will come apart.

fW

How is that picky, especially for a UCS?

In any case, I'm not so sure about the front portion but it looks to me like the sides are angled inward in the rear. If they aren't, I hope marshal_banana fixes it or his MOC will end up with very strange proportions.

How is that picky, especially for a UCS?

In any case, I'm not so sure about the front portion but it looks to me like the sides are angled inward in the rear. If they aren't, I hope marshal_banana fixes it or his MOC will end up with very strange proportions.

I don't think the rear sides are angled, that is likely attributed to parallax.

I am concerned that the height of the MOC is too tall compared to the length though based on where that large opening on the wall is in relation to where it is on the picture below it.

I am concerned that the height of the MOC is too tall compared to the length though based on where that large opening on the wall is in relation to where it is on the picture below it.

Not sure how accurate this image is or what it's of (fan model, official prop, etc.), but everything I got when Googling points to angled sides.

otc_sandcrawler_vehicle.jpg

Not sure how accurate this image is or what it's of (fan model, official prop, etc.), but everything I got when Googling points to angled sides.

I stand corrected. I'll just wait till it's done to make any comments on its accuracy.

Edited by I Scream Clone
No need to have the same pic twice

Looking great so far Marshalbanana, I look forward to how you progress on such a massive undertaking. Don't give up now!

Stoutfiles please don't quote a picture from a post when it is on the same page, people can already see it in the original post, cheers.

Looks great so far!! Can't to see more!! The rear detail will be fun and the PF?!

Jamie

I'll just wait till it's done to make any comments on its accuracy.

I work with accurate reference material of the original studio model of ILM :tongue:

5354700100_3cacaef9cb_b.jpg

5354660762_26f05c0842_z.jpg

Of course are the sides angled. But on the pictures it's hard to see and the wall is just half the size of the final model. But the angle is accurate.

The model should be about 6 studs longer to fit the scale and there are also some mistakes in the small details.

For the final model I'll take these (Do they work with normal gears?):

57518.jpg?2

Edited by marshal_banana

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I don't think the treads work with regular gears, unfortunately.

This is going to be so awesome! I'll follow your progress closely as a motorised UCS Sandcrawler has been on my to do list for a long time.

As for the treads, they most easily work with these or these. Given the size of the monster you're creating, I'd go for the former.

On his MOC, maybe, but there's definitely sloping on the studio model. marshal_banana tells us they're sloped, so at least that's cleared up. Of course, the rear walls should angle toward the rear of the ship as well as the top - upon closer inspection, it doesn't look like he took that into account. (Look at the lip region just below the sloping wall; it's angled on the ILM model, but his is rectangular.)

[snip - darn you Hasbro!]

When I saw those pictures I suspected from the raised lines and mottled proportions that it was a toy. I followed the link, and it is indeed part of a Hasbro playset. The site you got these pictures from is one that sells Star Wars collectables.

marshal_banana what book did you get that reference picture from?

I'm still waiting for my bricklink-orders. I've got the first bunch of drugs in plastic yesterday. A ton of the rare and expensive color dark orange for all the rust effects!

I'm still waiting for my bricklink-orders. I've got the first bunch of drugs in plastic yesterday. A ton of the rare and expensive color dark orange for all the rust effects!

Wow! The finished product will probably be worth the money. :wink:

Wow this looks great so far. I think I can speak for everyone when I say I am pretty excited for some updates on this one. How many Jawas will be incorporated in this project?