marshal_banana

UCS Sandcrawler MOC

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hi all. I started last year with my latest big project. My idea is to create a near minifig scale sandcrawler model with power functions and partial interior.

I started with 3 official sandcrawlers 10144 (I got them on sale: 3 for the price of one :-). So I`ve had 4800 parts for the start, but I´m afraid it´s not enough.

sandcrawler.jpg

My goals:

-IR controlled PF

-steering and driving model powred by 4 xl-motors

-opening (if possible PF controlled) front hatch

-lights: front lights, cockpit, main hatch

-accurate SNOT-hull

-interior (front hatch)

In the end it will be not as big as this wonderful model but over 35" long!

852361923_66a0c8bc9a.jpg

At the moment about 30% of the hull is done. My work on this model is influented by a german builder. I saw his model last year at the LEGO fanwelt in Cologne. At the moment I am waiting for the PF stuff for the first driving and steering test. First pictures will follow next week. Cheers! MB

Ooh sounds very interesting! We're certainly looking forward for this UCS Sandcrawler MOC of yours marshal_banana. Hope to see some WIP shots soon. :sweet:

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to pics..

I have always wanted a UCS Sandcrawler myself, too, since I only have the pretty small set - I might have to give it a go after my currently planned projects.

~ General Magma

Sounds really cool! Are you going to include details as seen in Lego Star Wars (the game)?

I think a minifig-scale would be pretty big, but with 3 Sandcrawlers, I think you have a good start!

Can't wait for the first pictures!

This seems like a challenging MOC, looks like it'll take a while but I can't wait for some pics.

Does anyone have a link to more pics of that other sandcrawler?

Given that this is exactly how I would do it, I am very excited about this project!

I assume you'll put the PF motors for the treads inside the tread assemblies, since said assemblies are big enough to hide the motors. I think that simplifies the drive system a lot. Then just a simple rack for steering and linear actuators for the door?

Man this is gonna be sweet! :sweet:

I cant wait to see how this comes out and the SNOTing will look fantastic :cry_happy:

Following this will be very interesting good luck!

Sounds promising. If it's anywhere as good as the reference MOC, we've got ourselves a winner! Good luck, and I can't wait to see progress.

Hi folks. Thank's for your high interest in my project!

5349943095_364707bdd9.jpg

It's a big one, and I am kind of afraid :vader: I expact slow progress but just wait and see!

The next step is not so far. I'm still waiting for my bricklink orders for the powerfunctions and brown, darkbrown and darkorange bricks ;-)

Brickdoctor:

I assume you'll put the PF motors for the treads inside the tread assemblies, since said assemblies are big enough to hide the motors.

Yes, I taught the same thing, that should work, if the motors are strong enough.

As promised some WIP's

5349941973_555780f006_z.jpg

5349943593_6689f23400_z.jpg

Looks great so far! Just like the one in LSW 2, minus the moving platforms, etc... :thumbup:

*huh* MegaBloks!

I knew this would be big, but this is...big.

How heavy do you estimate this will weigh? I guess since you don't need speed, the XL-motors should do fine. Otherwise I assume you'll be needing some more complex Technic and a bunch of screws. The other thing that really surprised me was the use of the 4-wide treads. I'd though the bigger ones would be needed to keep everything proportionate.

Oh my! :oh:

This is really impressive! Im loving the detail because its really well made an its not too much which would make the MOC a greeble monster. It probably better that it will be heavy so the motors and pulling it super fast because its supposed to be slow. Will there be an interior to this beast?

"Look at the size of that thing!" :tongue:

I see you're off to a very great start marshal_banana! The size is impressive and looks to be roughly minifigure scale, and your usual attention to detail can be seen in what you've done so far. The paneling along the sides looks very nice. I look forward to seeing the weathering near the top later on.

(I don't have any constructive criticism to offer at this point, but here are some reference pictures...)

:oh:*huh**oh2*

Thanks for the pics, I can't wait to see it finished...

Edited by R5-N2

most impressive, lots of pictures required as i don't think i could do as good a job as you have done so far!

Jeeeezuuuusz!

That thing is going to be huge.

Poor Jawas, they'll look even more like midgets next to this one :laugh:

Looking great so far marshal and thanks for sharing your WIP with us :wub:

*oh2* Holy.... That's HUGE! Even with this little done it is absolutely amazing. :thumbup: Can't wait for the finished project.