broomhandle

Longest Modular, who has it?

I used to have a nice size modular style city. I suppose if you lined it up it would be rather long

4170311755_cc7d68aa9d.jpg

4846201431_899bc24247.jpg

4846819952_e2318b36eb.jpg

4846820198_741017fb58.jpg

It's in boxes now. The closet and the lego room belong to my daughter now :sad:

Edited by lgorlando

I used to have a nice size modular style city. I suppose if you lined it up it would be rather long

I think you've already beat about, everybody, :laugh:

I think you've already beat about, everybody, :laugh:

LOL, it's kind of sad. I'm practically in rehab for this stuff.

My street used to have 21 modular buildings at its longest, which spanned over 12 feet long.

Link

Edited by vader11

I don't have the largest street by any means, but I might have the street with the most interchangeable modular floors. Nearly every building is made of separate 16x16 and 8x16 modular sections, so that almost every building/base/roof is interchangeable with every other!

Here's the last time it was photographed as a whole back in 2008. It's grown a bit since then.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21438

You can see more of the various buildings at the link in my sig.

Having trouble uploading any decent images, but here is my city. It's not the biggest, but it is what I've got so far.

Oh boy!

I have to say, I just LOVE that idea of the Grand Emporium extension going across the road. I'd very much like to see more pictures of that.

Oh man, I feel sorry for you! I hope you can find some space to display it once more. It's too amazing to be kept in storage. Don't you have a basement? Well, that is unless you live in a building.

Edited by prateek

Oh man, I feel sorry for you! I hope you can find some space to display it once more. It's too amazing to be kept in storage. Don't you have a basement? Well, that is unless you live in a building.

Even in the economy crisis the U.S. is going through, I hope everone still lives in a building though. :laugh: I also hope you meant living in an apartment prateek. I'm a conformist! and keep living in a building unlike a savage! :sweet:

Also, I don't think you can have a basement if you don't live in a house.

Edited by mahon881

Oh boy!

I have to say, I just LOVE that idea of the Grand Emporium extension going across the road. I'd very much like to see more pictures of that.

i agree, i would like to see a close up.

great pics guys! and i am sorry about your lego city in boxes... :) it was huge!

oh soo sad! :cry_sad:

I love your city!

you should display it for children to see, or even put the city in a small room. Well its hard to make lego space with a apartment and kids.

I'm sorry for you, good luck :cry_happy:

My street used to have 21 modular buildings at its longest, which spanned over 12 feet long.

Link

Yeah, I think Vader11 officially has the longest street! :classic:

Wow!

And yep, the grand emporium (L@go's) over the street is wonderful!

And yep, the grand emporium (L@go's) over the street is wonderful!

That would be gmsracing's Grand Emporium, not mine :) Mine is rather more standard-looking. But who knows... the idea is great!

I think im ready to build my own. what are some good tips to a build? and good pieces to have?

I have to think of a style 1st...

I think im ready to build my own. what are some good tips to a build? and good pieces to have?

I have to think of a style 1st...

Best method is to buy one of the modulars and build it. That will give you a feel for techniques.

Best method is to buy one of the modulars and build it. That will give you a feel for techniques.

I totally agree! If the large modulars are too much for your budget go for a small creator set like the log cabin, the apple tree house or the upcoming house on the hillside. I used to build really thin models with no back wall like the City Corner set. You can build up your city fast using this technique. I also google images of "town buildings". Don't worry about color (try to keep your buildings to 2 or 3 colors per building only, then focus on window distribution using a flat front and evolve into corner buildings and finally develop a cute but simple window /door accent and a realistic (but not overly dramatic) roof accent, most people mess up here. The story writes itself from there. Good Luck!

Examples of buildings simple to complex using the same color scheme:

Simple

AR-119-0105.jpg

Medium

500px-Buildings_old_town_Bautzen_100.JPG

Complex

1.1239347940.ornate-building.jpg

Edited by lgorlando

I'm in the planning stages of my city/town and decided to really limit the colours I use for buildings. ground floor fronts can be any colour but the rest of the building is plain and dull. I want a fairly uniform look to colours so that whatever vehicles and minifigs I put in the setup will have maximum impact. I won't be detailing buildings above the first floor. I think it can look a bit messy in big buildings if there's too much variation and detail. There'll also be a lot of repetion. a whole side of a street in the same building with just minor changes and whatever each building is used for displayed in the entrance way. I'm also only going to use dark orange, black, greys and sand green for rooves. Absolutely no red. After a lifetime of red roof slopes I'm done with red.

I've also built up a library of inspiration pictures both other people's MOCs and real buildings and structures. It really helps to figure out what works and what doesn't and get a sense of different eras of building design. most towns have a good mix of eras and styles.

Yeah, so I think simple is the best approach. uncluttered. don't forget detail like street furniture (lamp posts, signs, traffic lights, phone boxes etc) adds detail. it doesn't all need to go into the building facades. sometimes the plainest building has a charm that stems from the clean lines.

I totally agree! If the large modulars are too much for your budget go for a small creator set like the log cabin, the apple tree house or the upcoming house on the hillside. I used to build really thin models with no back wall like the City Corner set. You can build up your city fast using this technique. I also google images of "town buildings". Don't worry about color (try to keep your buildings to 2 or 3 colors per building only, then focus on window distribution using a flat front and evolve into corner buildings and finally develop a cute but simple window /door accent and a realistic (but not overly dramatic) roof accent, most people mess up here. The story writes itself from there. Good Luck!

Examples:

Thanks for the help! I'm new into CC mocing, do you have anny more inspiration pics? That woud really help me alot.

And your CCs really look fantastic! :wub::thumbup:

/Fredrik

Edited by freeedrik

Thanks for the help! I'm new into CC mocing, do you have anny more inspiration pics? That woud really help me alot.

And your CCs really look fantastic! :wub::thumbup:

/Fredrik

Hi Fredrik and welcome to town building! One of my favorite sites for inspiration is bricktowntalk.blogspot.com. They recently started featuring a regular posting of inspirational photos of city buidings. I am definatly inspired by their posts. Share your photos of your finished buildings when you get a chance!

Freedick, unfortunately making good modular buildings requires a lot of money. You also need a lot of bricks with the studs on one or two sides as well as tiles. If your budget allows, I would buy two of the currently available modulars, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium, and one of the Green Grocer if you can land it for a good price; you should be able to build a good MOC from those two sets. The Creator houses are excellent parts packs as well.

The most important thing is not to sweat the colors initially. Once you are happy with the shape you can adjust the colors and maybe hit bricklink for the parts you need in the colors you want.

Hi Fredrik and welcome to town building! One of my favorite sites for inspiration is bricktowntalk.blogspot.com. They recently started featuring a regular posting of inspirational photos of city buidings. I am definatly inspired by their posts. Share your photos of your finished buildings when you get a chance!

Thanks, I will defiantly share my attempts to build a modular :classic:

Freedick, unfortunately making good modular buildings requires a lot of money. You also need a lot of bricks with the studs on one or two sides as well as tiles. If your budget allows, I would buy two of the currently available modulars, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium, and one of the Green Grocer if you can land it for a good price; you should be able to build a good MOC from those two sets. The Creator houses are excellent parts packs as well.

The most important thing is not to sweat the colors initially. Once you are happy with the shape you can adjust the colors and maybe hit bricklink for the parts you need in the colors you want.

Thanks for the help. I've already teared down my Tower Bridge, so i guess that i could built something with those bricks+my spare parts. I have GG and GE, but i dont think i would ever take down those buildings. And Dragon Alley, would that make a good partspack?

Thanks so much for the help it really helps :grin:

Thanks for the help. I've already teared down my Tower Bridge, so i guess that i could built something with those bricks+my spare parts. I have GG and GE, but i dont think i would ever take down those buildings. And Dragon Alley, would that make a good partspack?

I also think that Fire Brigade is a superb parts pack.

Thanks, I will defiantly share my attempts to build a modular :classic:

Thanks so much for the help it really helps :grin:

Diagon Alley is definitely an excellent parts pack for modular! In fact, I just bought 2 to turn those 3 buildings into modular style houses.

Edited by vader11

4846201431_899bc24247.jpg

do you have any more pics of your custom buildings? i love the 1st 3 buildings on the top shelf on the left.

and any others with pics of their custom builds? I love these buildings!

Edited by broomhandle