Sign in to follow this  
Sir Dillon

A dock and a small ship

Hey guys,

Here is my first ever on line pirate creation(s): An Imperial dock, and a small trading ship. :-)

dscn3594.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn3595.jpg_thumb.jpgdscn3606.jpg_thumb.jpg

The Gallery

Sorry for the bad pictures. :-$

This was originally going to be a castle creation, but then I thought the top tower part would look cool with a cannon on it... So this was transformed into a pirate MOC.

The sails on the ship on the ship were inspired by Evil Willy's sail tutorial, but since I don't have any cloth around, and no easy way to get to where my grandmothers are, I just did it with paper. I then thought they would look really cool with burnt edges, so I took a lighter (don't try this at home, kids.) and burnt them. Then, so I wouldn't get ashes everywhere (and to keep them from ripping) I covered them with clear packing tape.

I'm pretty pleased with the final results.

Please let me know what you think!

What I like most about this MOC is that it looks much larger in the thumbnails. This drew me in, which good pictures do. I was not disappointed to find a smaller creation than I expected, however; as always, your building is solid and colorful (in a grey Lego sense ;-) ). It looks realistic, while still keeping the Lego style.

Oh, and I like the spider on the front. Very cool.

What I like most about this MOC is that it looks much larger in the thumbnails. This drew me in, which good pictures do. I was not disappointed to find a smaller creation than I expected, however; as always, your building is solid and colorful (in a grey Lego sense ;-) ). It looks realistic, while still keeping the Lego style.

Oh, and I like the spider on the front. Very cool.

Thanks! It doesn't look any bigger in the thumbnails to me, but that's probably just because I already know what it looks like.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the name of the ship is The Black Widow, hence the spider on the front.

Very nice! I love it it looks fantastic... And you used my sails, you are the first and it does make me proud :D There is only one problem....And that is I have no comments! Its perfect and looks really, really great! Wow congratulations man.

I'm going to be frank (who is he ;-) ) and admit I don't like the ship (something wrong with the height to length ratio...) but that said: I love the dock, so solid, sculpted, ralistic, and legoy all in one! Excellent work... all though, of course, it would be better as a Castle MOC... ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan

A good first pirate MOC.

I like the look of the ship. The tan and black are nice compliments. The sails are not at all in the right places or the right sizes for a ship this big though.

The fort (or section of a fort really) is okay. The tower on the rock piece is really not fitting for me though. It should be round and have the canon on the inside. Also the canons between the battlements should have a covering over them and the spacing should allow for turning and movement. Cannons on ships cannot always move so wekll but those on land have that advantage. If you rebuild consider making use of it.

The building does look nice though construction is great the dock is wide, low to the water and believable. Black is a fitting color as the wood would have been treated to prevent rotting.

The rock area could use a little color variation or at the least some moss or seaweed growing near the bottom. Not a fault but it is little details that take the good MOC to the the great MOC level.

Nice build overall, looks fun to play with or maybe a good start to a costal fort or town.

MOC on!

Very nice!

I like the design of the wall with the cannons on top.

And the burps are used really well in this moc too.

I love that little ship too!

Mini-ships always impress me for some reason.

Thanks for all the replies! :-)

Very nice! I love it it looks fantastic... And you used my sails, you are the first and it does make me proud

Thanks! And thanks for doing the tutorial, it was fun making the sails. *pirate*

I don't like the ship (something wrong with the height to length ratio...)

Yeah, I think the sails look good, and I think the ship looks decent, but don't think the look very good together. :-/

I like the look of the ship. The tan and black are nice compliments. The sails are not at all in the right places or the right sizes for a ship this big though.

Yeah. They're the only sails I have besides the armada flag ship and the Red Beard Runner though, which both look too big.

The fort (or section of a fort really) is okay. The tower on the rock piece is really not fitting for me though. It should be round and have the canon on the inside. Also the canons between the battlements should have a covering over them and the spacing should allow for turning and movement. Cannons on ships cannot always move so wekll but those on land have that advantage. If you rebuild consider making use of it.

I thought the square tower looked better then round, because it matches with the wall.

For the cannons, this was going to be a castle creation at first, but then I changed it to pirate, but didn't really think about changing the walls to better fit the cannons :-$ I don't know if I'll rebuild this or not. I'm kind of itching to build something else, but I might try to re-do this.

Nice build overall, looks fun to play with or maybe a good start to a costal fort or town.

Thanks! And thanks for taking the time to write out a thought out reply. :-)

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate it. :-)

The masts of the ship are much too short and the sails are too small. It would be nice if the wall with cannons on its top were, say, 2 studs wider, so that the cannons have more room to be pulled backwards, loaded with cannonballs and pushed back forwards. Apart from that it's a great MOC, I like the way you used 75 deg. gray slopes and arches as parts of the wall - they make a nice structure together. The small tower looks very good but I can't see any ladders or stairs leading to its top - perhaps you should add some? And I like the rocky cliff very much! Believe me, as a geologist I can tell a good-looking cliff from a bad one! And this one looks pretty authentic. Those BURPs aren't such bad parts after all, they're quite useful for building big rock structures.

Phes is on the scene to interview the creator of the latest Pirate MOC!

dscn3591.jpg

Congratualtions Sir Dillion, you have made the right choice developing this into an Imperial MOC and you seemed to pull it off very well. You've created a fort and a boat - that's something I was contemplating doing in a future MOC! My inspiration being drawn from the smaller vessel including with the Imperial Trading Post, because there is just not enough of them!

Now I'll start the interview by asking if this MOC has a name for either the ship or fort, or the creation as a whole? And is there a story behind what's going on in the picturs? Why is this ship docked here? Is it a merchant ship delivering supplies?

Congratualtions Sir Dillion, you have made the right choice developing this into an Imperial MOC and you seemed to pull it off very well. You've created a fort and a boat - that's something I was contemplating doing in a future MOC! My inspiration being drawn from the smaller vessel including with the Imperial Trading Post, because there is just not enough of them!

Now I'll start the interview by asking if this MOC has a name for either the ship or fort, or the creation as a whole? And is there a story behind what's going on in the picturs? Why is this ship docked here? Is it a merchant ship delivering supplies?

Interview?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. The ships name is The Black Widow, hence the spider on the front. The dock doesn't have a real name as of yet, it just goes by 'Imperial dock' or something like that.

The ship is supposed to be a small merchant ship, I would guess their delivering supplies of some sort to the troops, but I'm not sure. Thems merchants is awfully shady about what they were delivering, and didn't want to talk about it. ;-)

The name Black Widow has been ringing a bell since I first saw it. I've done some research and I've found what I've been looking for:

The Black Widower

I first saw this one a year or so ago and now I've experienced a sort of d

Yes Sir Dillion, "interview" - just look at my title beneath my my avatar... It should explain a lot...

Now there's something I need clarification on... The fort looks like its constructed from grey pieces but what I want to know is are they really white? On my monitor its slightly hard to tell exactly what colour they are you see.

The name Black Widow has been ringing a bell since I first saw it. I've done some research and I've found what I've been looking for:

The Black Widower

I first saw this one a year or so ago and now I've experienced a sort of d

Yes, my monitor is about 12 years old and the blue cathode is on the blink so it gives everything a yellowish tinge making it difficult to determine lighter colours. I badly need to get a LCD or Flat CRT monitor but that can't be done until after I get these blinkin assignments out of the way.

dscn3599.jpg

So we have a rear view of the fort... You've even bothered to include some smaller details like the torches around the doorway, muzzleloader stick attached to the cannon, and the barrel full of weapons - these are quintessential LEGO pirate characteristics so you've done well to include them.

Sir Dillion, did you include these details conscious of them being trademarks of the Pirate theme or did they just happen "naturally"?

I think I'm a little unsure about what your asking.

I don't think I put the items there because they're pirate trademarks, but I also didn't put them there 'naturally'. I put them there because I thought the looked good, and would add to the creation. Did that answer your question?

so it gives everything a yellowish tinge making it difficult to determine lighter colours.

Well, there is a yellowish tinge in the pictures from the lighting, but it might be worse on your computer then mine.

dscn3595.jpg

One detail I notice is missing is a flag! Being red coat Imperial Guards I'd somewhat except to see their large flag somewhere, probably on the tower. Sir Dillion, did you forget to place one on this MOC or did you just not have one, or is there another reason for not having one?

Ah yes, a flag. I don't have any large red imperial flags, but I know I have at least one little one somewhere. I looked for it a little, but couldn't find it, and then forgot about it. :-$

but couldn't find it, and then forgot about it. :-$

That just isn't good enough.... X-D ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan

Mr Norro is correct, this is abosolutely appalling Sir Dillion!

dscn3601.jpg

dscn3598.jpg

Ok, so looking at the front and back I see the fort structure look solid. I was wondering how it would look if you left some openings at the front and made it so the archways were doorways rather than filled in. It looks like there's a space inside the fort that's going to waste - unless there's a secret entrance somewhere...

Mr Norro is correct, this is abosolutely appalling Sir Dillion!

Sorry! Next time I'll make sure to try harder to think up a better excuse. X-D :-P

ok, so looking at the front and back I see the fort structure look solid. I was wondering how it would look if you left some openings at the front and made it so the archways were doorways rather than filled in. It looks like there's a space inside the fort that's going to waste - unless there's a secret entrance somewhere...

Well, I wasn't planning on showing the back at all, as it was going to be filled in with red, but since I had enough grey, I filled it in with that. The reason I made the sides and the back solid, was I wanted it took look like this was just a segment of the dock, and it keeps going, but I guess the back looks a little strange as I put the back of the top wall on...