starstreak

Review: 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter

gallery_101_23_281.gif

This review will be on the 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter

Battle the Rebel Alliance with the Imperial V-wing Starfighter!After the fall of the Galactic Republic at the end of the Clone Wars, the Imperial V-wing starfighter became one of the first battle crafts of the growing Empire. The Imperial V-wing starfighter hunts down the Rebel Alliance with a working cockpit and rotating wings. Includes Imperial pilot and astromech droid R2-Q2 minifigures.

• Includes 2 minifigures: all-new Imperial pilot and Astromech droid R2-Q2
  • Rotate wings to navigate ship between flying and landing modes!
  • Deploy your forces against the #7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack
  • Imperial V-wing starfighter measures 5” (12cm) wide, 9” (22cm) long

Set Name: 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter

Theme: Star Wars

Released: 2010 for 2011

Pieces: 139

Price: $19.99/14.98 EUR/12.91 GBP I ordered mine from Lego.com.

Here are some quicklinks Lego.com, Brickset, Bricklink

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

Box art front

5291296023_3ae4f2de2b_z.jpg

I do like the new style of boxes. Looks very well done. Nice background without too much fluff to throw you off on what's in the box.

Box art rear

5291899572_1b5865ccd6_z.jpg

Like the other 2011 boxes, it shows what moves and views of other sets for you to spend your hard earned money on. Btw, the original 6205 V-Wing did not have wings that swivel.

Parts list

5309126718_377b224f17_z.jpg

Parts Bags

5308536679_6ce4e15be5_z.jpg

Notice that they didn't put the nose piece in any bag. Oh no. There's no numbered bags. Oh how am I going to build this...

Instruction Manual

5308537715_8cdbd21132_z.jpg

I wish there was a way to not get the manual all bent out of shape.

Sticker sheet

5309127772_9019223e55_z.jpg

The stickers felt a bit thicker. I hope they don't peel off/get brittle in less than a year like some of my other stickers. Oh, the 6205 V-Wing didn't use any stickers.

Minifigs Front

5309128540_d29ee4758b_z.jpg

R2-Q2 and the Imperial Pilot. I love the silver look for the R2.

Minifig Back

5309129330_44fb01210b_z.jpg

R2-Q2 and the Imperial Pilot. But I hate the swirly marks the silver makes in the R2 shell.

On to the build!

5309130270_a441f1d7a5_z.jpg

5308543265_97821ee83c_z.jpg

5309132112_e750c28c47_z.jpg

5308545051_69411f4982_z.jpg

5308545849_16b6d719b2_z.jpg

Here is your first view of the gear that helps rotate the wings. Not very hidden.

5308546803_4ff6f0eff2_z.jpg

5308547693_f54a342bed_z.jpg

5308548507_5aedbab44b_z.jpg

5308549297_465369e751_z.jpg

That "L" grey technic piece is used so the wings only rotate in one direction and also so it stops at the right angle for flight. Nice idea, but again, not very authentic looking on the set.

5308550131_ae1723efcb_z.jpg

5308550943_0e29547479_z.jpg

5309139894_9458f08f3c_z.jpg

Finished! Not bad looking.

Extra Parts

5308552749_b104045636_z.jpg

Wow. Only 2 pieces. Even the smaller sets have more spare parts. lol.

Finished photos

5308560003_34b03b3934_z.jpg

A picture on how R2-Q2 fits in the back. Oh look. He flies without his body.

Front view

5308560863_8c18523960_z.jpg

This view give the ship a very sleek profile. Don't ever look under this ship. Very ugly. But it's better than the 6205 in that respect.

Rear photo

5309149522_b3f253e7c1_z.jpg

Ah, now you can see the gears for the wings. I guess it's cheaper to make stickers for the imperial logo than to make pieces with it on them.

Front profile

5308562493_db8b14ae6e_z.jpg

Final shot from the front.

Canopy open

5309151184_aa8d60f6a1_z.jpg

Yes. No control panel. And yes, he's holding his weapon. Why? The instruction book shows him in the cockpit that way. Very sad. At least the cockpit is hinged. The 6205 is not.

6205 vs 7915

5309205308_076e2f8a04_z.jpg

I'm sorry for the BRIGHT yellow stands. I don't have any clear pieces. Overall they are about the same size, but you can see where the extra thought went into making the newer version. Larger, rotating wings, detailed nose, better canopy, and stickers. But that's a toss up.

Front view

5308619027_18a9a05c33_z.jpg

Rear view

5309206354_82a76be652_z.jpg

Again, you can see how it's cleaned up some. Since the new version uses stickers, the wings don't look as bulky. The wing hubs don't have holes in them.

Comments: I like this set. But only because it's a V-Wing. It feels cheaply made. Better than the 1st version, but not up to par. Like buying the Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter for $99. It didn't feel like a UCS set. This set kept wanting me to want more.

My rating

Playability: 4/5 This is playable. They give you both the pilot and full droid. And the R2-Q2 is unique. Nothing really breaks easy. And parts move for great action flying for the kids.

Build experience: 2/5 Easy build. I see no problems in putting this together. EXCEPT for the stickers. I HATE putting round stickers on. It's a pain to get them just right in the middle without it looking like something isn't right.

Overall: 2.5/5 I can see this going on clearance. It's OK. Good for collecting if you love Star Wars. But a bit weak on design. I can just see Toys R Us selling this for $30. Resist the store. Well, unless it's the $19.99 price.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

All photos are viewable in full size on my flickr site. Here is a direct like to my: 7915 Imperial V-wing Starfighter

Nice review! :thumbup: I like how you start reviews with 'This review will be on the...'

On a whole, nice set, but I still prefer the old, more accurate version. The cockpit shouldn't be that big and I hate the looks of the new guns.

Also, you put on an extra white 1x2 tile on the tip of the nose of your old V-Wing, it's not supposed to be there. :laugh: Otherwise, thanks for the comparison shots.

Nice review! pirate_thumbup.gif I like how you start reviews with 'This review will be on the...'

On a whole, nice set, but I still prefer the old, more accurate version. The cockpit shouldn't be that big and I hate the looks of the new guns.

Also, you put on an extra white 1x2 tile on the tip of the nose of your old V-Wing, it's not supposed to be there. default_laugh_new.gif Otherwise, thanks for the comparison shots.

Lol. That's what happens when you have kids. I didn't even notice it being there. I just took it off my shelf. I like the new cockpit. Heck the old one even had a huge gap between it and the body.

Thanks for another wonderful review starstreak! I guess this completes the review of all the 2011 first wave sets. I love the comparison pics of this V-Wing with the previous version. :thumbup: I'd say this is a pretty good buy for $20, you get a decent upgraded version of the V-Wing, and two new cool minifigs - the black Imperial pilot and that fantastic metallic silver astromech. It's also quite noticeable how TLG clearly differentiated this V-Wing with the previous one, not only changing the colors to Imperial black and grey but also appropriately using the Imperial logo to replace the Republic insignia of the old V-Wing.

Even at im not a Star Wars fan, im going to buy this set. The overall looks is amazing and the minifigs are just lovely done :wub: I only wishthey would have printed those 2x2 round tiles but oh well, i dont complain about that. Its still a great set wich im gonna get when i can.

Thanks for this great review :yoda:

Captain Becker

Thanks for another quality review, Starstreak.

This looks like a fairly nice set, and at $20 it's in my price range. I love the minifigs. Unfortunately the ship itself isn't perfect, but it is an improvement over the previous version.

Nice review! This needs a 50% discount to be on a normal price! 28€ is directly brutal!! It is 20 cts/piece and it has nothing really special... has it?

Great review. It's one of my must buys. However the uk price isn't £12.91 it's £21.99

EDIT:

Deploy your forces against the #7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack

That doesn't make any sense !! They're on the same side!!

Edited by simonjedi

Thanks for the review. Not sure how much I like this one. The best part by far is the astromech but It might be one to wait for a target sale for me if I ever get it :wacko:

Nice work Starstreak! I don't like the marbling much either but he's still cool looking. The new cabin and the new clone look ace though.

Great review. It's one of my must buys. However the uk price isn't £12.91 it's £21.99

EDIT:

That doesn't make any sense !! They're on the same side!!

My thoughts exactly. :wacko:

Thanks for another first review. I really don't like this set. To me it's like paying $10 for $5 of improvements. And while it looks very sleek, the body and cockpit are the wrong shape. Better than the first, but not worth $20 to me.

Hmmm... This set is very interesting. I think I've got a sweet spot for V-Wings, but I think your ratings are a bit harsh. I think this set is way better than most of the 2010 sets, but it's under par when compared to the new 2011 sets. I don't know if I should spend $25 on this now, or wait until it drops, since SW sales are very rare...

My thoughts exactly. :wacko:

Thanks for another first review. I really don't like this set. To me it's like paying $10 for $5 of improvements. And while it looks very sleek, the body and cockpit are the wrong shape. Better than the first, but not worth $20 to me.

I'm sure theres a mission in Battlefront 2 where you play as imperials and you have to destroy something on kamino, so your fighting your own clones, I don't know the details but I know it exists. But still, im pretty sure its just negligence on TLC's behalf.

I like this st, but not enough to get it at thirty dollars, I'm going to wait a while and pick it up on sale.

I'm sure theres a mission in Battlefront 2 where you play as imperials and you have to destroy something on kamino, so your fighting your own clones, I don't know the details but I know it exists. But still, im pretty sure its just negligence on TLC's behalf.

I like this st, but not enough to get it at thirty dollars, I'm going to wait a while and pick it up on sale.

Yes, there is, but that's a land battle, not space, and none of the troopers in the BP were involved.

Thanks for the nice review starstreak! :sweet:

Im planning on getting this set as I have the old V-wing. I think Lego have done a nice improvement on it from the old, but I agree, its lacking in something...

Thanks again for the review!

CF

I wasn't planning on buying this one, but it looks a lot better now that I've seen it from all angles. That canopy piece is pretty neat, but what tops this set off are the figs. That pilot is amazing overall, with a black version of the clone pilot head and helmet. The metallic droid is pretty sharp, too.

Thanks for the review, Starstreak.

A very nice ship, if not a pricey one. Despite being licensed, it's wedged between Flying Mummy Attack at 125 pieces and Angler Attack at over 200 pieces, all three for 22.99 at the US TRU I checked this morning.

Thanks! I'm glad you folks like the review! Overall, it is a very sleek starfighter. I would rather fly this than a Jedi starfighter.

BTW, starstreak, why do dislike the bottom so much? I built it in LDD, and it doesn't look bad at all.

Also, I picked out all the parts and built it without instructions, but I can't seem to make out where 2 of the dark grey 1x1 round plates go. Any suggestions?

Edited by prateek