Sign in to follow this  

Hello fellow technic enthusiasts,

I have been wanting to create a version of the 8258 crane truck for a while now and have finally gotten around to doing so. What I wanted to build would be something completely new but would share the appearance, to an extent, with the original 8258. When I first got the 8258 I made this picture..

It was a very quick drawing but what I basically wanted was to have a completely remote control offroad crane that featured adjustable suspension and various other things. I have finally gotten around to building my creation and have used a heavily modded version of my Modular 8 Wheeler, which can be viewed on my Brickshelf here or in its separate thread here, as a base for my creation. EDIT: The original folder has been replaced by the finished one which can be found here.

7540417450_3894d657c2_z.jpg

Essentially, I have three XL motors for drive, the first two power the first two pairs of wheels, and the third powers the back two pairs. Then I have one M Motor in the front that powers the steering for all 8 wheels. I am also currently using 1 M Motor to power the adjustable suspension but that will likely change.

What I wish to ask of you my fellow builders is what I should about the following. I have four PF remotes and their corresponding receivers and, once I remove the M Motor from the suspension, I have a5 M Motors and 1 XL motor left for functions. I also have 3 XL and 1 M but those are for the drive/ steering and will be controlled with one remote. I am left with 6 motors and three remotes to control them which fits perfectly if I wished to have two functions per remote, but I do not! I want to incorporate some remote controlled gearbox so that I can have more functions! I think I will use something similar to the design CHOOPS created on his Brickshelf account located here

CHOOPS' design uses one M Motor to switch between four functions and a second motor to power each one. I am planning on using the same thing in the base of the truck and having the second motor be an XL motor. This will give the actual truck four functions + drive & steering and then I will have 4 M Motors left to use in the actual crane.

There is an alternative though which would be to use something like the gearbox featured in the 8043 Excavator which uses 4 M Motors to control 6 functions. I could put this in the base of truck and put the extra XL and M in the actual crane. Then I could have the first three functions power the suspension, stabilizers, and winch/ lift for flatbed and then have the second three functions be the turning of the turntable and two more through the turntable into the crane. I hope I am not being to confusing.. :tongue:

The third option is a combination of the first two options and would put CHOOPS' design into place in the crane portion and have the 8043 gearbox in the truck. This would give me a total of 10 functions (AWESOME!!) + drive & steering.

The problem with incorporating the 8043 gearbox is its size so CHOOPS' design may be the solution I am looking for..

In the end I am looking for some of the following functions: Moving stabilizers (Like the ones that came with the original 8258), Adjustable suspension, Winch, lifting flatbed (Like one of those in a tow truck.. I also figured that this would make a good use of all that space in the back of the truck), and then rotating turntable, and several unplanned functions in the crane portion..

If you have survived reading this I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or feedback.. Thanks

-Crtlego :classic:

Edited by Crtlego

Sounds like quite a complex and challenging build, I like it!

From what I can see, you require a total of eleven functions from eigth motors.

4 crane functions

rotation of crane

stablizers

winch

lifting flatbed

suspention

drive

steering

CHOOPS' design uses one M Motor to switch between four functions and a second motor to power each one. I am planning on using the same thing in the base of the truck and having the second motor be an XL motor. This will give the actual truck four functions + drive & steering and then I will have 4 M Motors left to use in the actual crane.

Sounds pretty good, you will be able to control all the functions of the crane simultainiously however the rotation of the crane will be limited by the cables. You will also be left with only four functions in the truck itself + drive/steering.

There is an alternative though which would be to use something like the gearbox featured in the 8043 Excavator which uses 4 M Motors to control 6 functions. I could put this in the base of truck and put the extra XL and M in the actual crane. Then I could have the first three functions power the suspension, stabilizers, and winch/ lift for flatbed and then have the second three functions be the turning of the turntable and two more through the turntable into the crane. I hope I am not being to confusing..

I don't hink this would be a viable option because it requires two drives plus cables to be run through the base of the crane.

The third option is a combination of the first two options and would put CHOOPS' design into place in the crane portion and have the 8043 gearbox in the truck. This would give me a total of 10 functions (AWESOME!!) + drive & steering.

This sounds like the best idea so far as it would give you enough functions to do what you want. Using CHOOPS gearbox in the crane, powered by two drive shafts would give you four crane functions plus unlimited rotation of the crane. However you would only be able to operate one function of the crane at a time. Remember that (besides drive/steer) you require 5 functions in the truck itself. This means you could use 3 motors to make a smaller, four function version of the 8043 gear box leaving you with one motor/channel left for the fifth function.

So I guess it comes down to what compromise is easiest for you to make.

Drive the shifter with a worm gear. This will allow you to stop the shifting more accurately.

I hope that made sense. :wacko:

Good luck with the build. It is going to be a tight fit.

Steve

Sounds like quite a complex and challenging build, I like it!

Thanks, I'll try to keep you guys updated with the build.

This sounds like the best idea so far as it would give you enough functions to do what you want. Using CHOOPS gearbox in the crane, powered by two drive shafts would give you four crane functions plus unlimited rotation of the crane. However you would only be able to operate one function of the crane at a time. Remember that (besides drive/steer) you require 5 functions in the truck itself. This means you could use 3 motors to make a smaller, four function version of the 8043 gear box leaving you with one motor/channel left for the fifth function.

So I guess it comes down to what compromise is easiest for you to make.

I hadn't thought about having a three motor gearbox but for the space provided that may be something to consider. Thanks! :classic:

Drive the shifter with a worm gear. This will allow you to stop the shifting more accurately.

I hope that made sense. :wacko:

Good luck with the build. It is going to be a tight fit.

Steve

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll definitely do that.:thumbup:

You should maby try to use pneumatic for the crane, and remember that the stabilizers need to go out then down too.

You know I was very tempted to suggest pneumatics (deffinately the way I would go) but sometimes wonder if people are bored of me banging on about them! :wink:

I will be using pneumatics but not in the crane portion.. I will most likely be using them in the stabilizers. I guess I tend to use LA's more because I have more of them.. I never really had that many pneumatic parts. I got the 8421 mobile crane which had two and then I got the 8436 "truck" which had a couple more but I never really got into it..

I got around to building the gearbox but haven't completed it yet. If you look in the photo I posted early you will see the space in between the two XL motors in the center.. that is where I plan to put the 4 M motor gearbox. It is quite a mess..:tongue:

I have managed to fit four M Motors and their necessary gearing in between the two XL motors and have tested. It works but now I need to be able to use the outputs.. Which is actually more challenging than I thought.

I have managed to fit four M Motors and their necessary gearing in between the two XL motors and have tested. It works but now I need to be able to use the outputs.. Which is actually more challenging than I thought.

Nice one, i'm gonna be following this topic as the results should be pretty awesome from the sounds of it.

The pictures were finally moderated on Brickshelf.. EDIT: The original folder has been replaced by a new one which can be found here.

The gearbox uses 4 M Motors in a setup similar to the 8043 where 1 M Motor switches the gears.. It was a really tight setup but it actually works.

NOTE: The universal joints were just there in the picture but have no function right now.. I was testing the adjustable suspension to use if it could lift the extra weight..

I tried to make the pictures smaller so here goes.

7540416014_d9dea6c58f_z.jpg

Edited by Crtlego

Another idea for lots of remote controlled power functions, if you have enough PF parts:

betterybox1 - switch one - 4x receiver - 8 motors: 1 motor to toggle switch one (and two)

betterybox2 - switch two - 4x receiver - 8 motors: 1 motor to toggle switch two (and one)

=> You can control 2x 7 motors = 14 functions!

The two motors which toggle the switches must be controlled by the same remote laver.

You got the idea? Not switching functions with a gearbox but switching functions with putting power on 4 receivers (exclusive) or 4 other receivers.

OK, this idea is not so much fun because you don't need much gearing and you have to use a lot of PF receivers.

Another idea for lots of remote controlled power functions, if you have enough PF parts:

betterybox1 - switch one - 4x receiver - 8 motors: 1 motor to toggle switch one (and two)

betterybox2 - switch two - 4x receiver - 8 motors: 1 motor to toggle switch two (and one)

=> You can control 2x 7 motors = 14 functions!

The two motors which toggle the switches must be controlled by the same remote laver.

You got the idea? Not switching functions with a gearbox but switching functions with putting power on 4 receivers (exclusive) or 4 other receivers.

OK, this idea is not so much fun because you don't need much gearing and you have to use a lot of PF receivers.

And the switch engine need also power so 1 more box needed or you mean those other switch?(with cable)

Unfortunately, it has been a while since I have posted here and I remember saying that I would keep you guys posted so I would like to apologize for keeping you all out of the loop. It has been busy but I managed to finish the Extreme 8258 early this year and even managed to enter it into the Technic Competition and made it into the top 10. I am currently working on the video and a website where I am hoping to keep all of my legos on (in addition to Brickshelf). So it has been busy but I figured I would leave a picture for all of you who have been waiting..

default_classic.gif

6231432695_0a518c57a5_b.jpg

Unfortunately, it has been a while since I have posted here and I remember saying that I would keep you guys posted so I would like to apologize for keeping you all out of the loop. It has been busy but I managed to finish the Extreme 8258 early this year and even managed to enter it into the Technic Competition and made it into the top 10. I am currently working on the video and a website where I am hoping to keep all of my legos on (in addition to Brickshelf). So it has been busy but I figured I would leave a picture for all of you who have been waiting..

default_classic.gif

6231432695_0a518c57a5_b.jpg

That image looks great, can't access your Brickshelf folder to see more though.

Thanks. Currently there aren't any new pictures in my Brickshelf folder so im not sure why it is being moderated but I am hoping to release the video, publish it on my website, and upload my pics to Brickshelf simultaneously so it may be a while before that is all finished (but hopefully not to long.) default_blink.gif

I'm glad to let you all know that, after about a year or so (longer than I would have hoped), I have finished two videos about this MOC and a lengthy article on my website that I encourage you all to read. Also, all the pictures (assembly, disassembly..) are on Flickr and are on Brickshelf (being moderated?).

7540398218_be6133bbc9_z.jpg

A brief summary (you really can't sum this model up in a few sentences):

"The Tow Truck is my largest Lego creation ever. It weighs 12.2 pounds and has 14 RC functions including motorized all-wheel drive, steering, pneumatic stabilizers, and a working tow arm, and a four-function crane. It has three separate gearboxes which allow all these functions to be controlled remotely. It uses three battery boxes, 4 XL motors, 6 M motors, and 1 RC motor." Full Article

Here are the videos.

Edited by Crtlego

The dis-assembly of the truck was a cool video :thumbup: .

tim

Thanks default_classic.gif It took forever to make even though it's only a minute long -going through 6+ hours of disassembly footage is not an easy task default_tong.gif