Sign in to follow this  
Churchill

REVIEW: 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle

gallery_101_23_281.gif

OK, folks. This is my first review, and these are the first pictures of Lego I've ever taken, so please be kind. Sorry if the pics are too big. I hope I hit all the usual points.

530a.jpg

The Jedi Shuttle. There hasn't been much talk about this set, but from what I've posted so far, there seems to be a fair amount of interest. Lets get started.

Set Number: 7931 Jedi T-6 Shuttle

Year: 2011

Pieces: 389

Price: 59.99 from TRU-US

The set is already built, so regretfully I have no in build pics. And, since I'm new to this, and just hoping to pull SOMETHING off, no box pics. No surprises with the box, or the front of the instructions.

There is one instruction booklet, with a total of 67 pages, and 26 steps. Some random instruction booklet pics:

Blurry, but building the engine block:

551a.jpg

This is the wing gear mechanism:

552a.jpg

Building up the cockpit:

554a.jpg

This is a blurry image, but you can see the "flat" pieces on each wing where the stickers go, as well as the OR emblem, which is also a sticker.

555a.jpg

The Build:

There are four numbered bags. The first is the engine block, the second and third are a wing each, and the cockpit is the fourth. There are five stickers- two white "greeble" stickers for each wing, and the OR emblem on the port wing. There is only one printed part- a 1x2 black control panel for the cockpit.

It took me about 30 minutes to build. Build in some time for reaquiring pieces from a 2 year old, and calculating the trajectory of a piece that falls off of a table onto a tile floor and then blends in with the tile.

There really were no new techniques; the wings are standard shuttle construction with angled plates. The cockpit is very similar to the other cockpits we've seen in shuttles.

A few pics to highlight some aspects:

I actually like the engines. It's not the usual slapping a trans-color piece onto a flat surface.

534a.jpg

Here you can see at the base of the engines the white arch pieces that we saw in the space shuttle, only they are the whole 180 degree arch, instead of the 90, which I've always found flimsy.

535a.jpg

In this top view, you can see the engines better, as well as those arch pieces. The engine block and the cockpit function as one "unit" with the wings rotating around the large gear in the center.

537a.jpg

In this bad view of the undercarriage guts, you can see the L shaped techic piece which serves as the landing gear. Actually, it just balances the ship better, as the weight sits on the engine block. This piece prevents the cockpit from dipping forward. Just above this pieces is a small black gear. This gear is attached to the engine block, and the white gear is attach

ed to the wings. That's all there is to the rotation mechanism. Surprisingly sturdy, especially with how floppy many of the previous shuttle wings are.

538a.jpg

This is the inside of the cockpit. Two Jedi only, one in front of and to the right of the other. Clearly we can fit more in here without much modification.

541a.jpg

Here is a view of the windscreen with the standard shuttle attachement joint.

543a.jpg

Side view of windscreen.

544a.jpg

Rear of the cockpit, and you can also see the 1x2 trans clear pieces on the tips of the wings. These are in the front and the back.

545a.jpg

Bottom view:

546a.jpg

Minifigs:

Honestly, I couldn't take any better pics than we already have. But here they are.

547a.jpg

548a.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality.

Both Shaak Ti and Saesee Tiin's headpieces came in seperate bags. Both are made of hard plastic, but Saesee's horns are soft...? Otherwise, they look great.

Ratings:

Pieces: 8/10. There aren't alot for the size, but it ends up being a good sized ship without a really tedious build.

Price: 9/10. For the new minifigs, mostly. Though the more I look at this thing and it grows on me, the more I think it was worth it.

Design: 9/10. Good wing mechanism, solid, and sturdy. DSS knocks it down, and my fingers hurt from removing the cockpit.

Minifigs: 8/10. Should be a 10/10, but how many Anakins do I need?

Playability: 8/10. OK, not much to do with it, but a solid wing mechanism, and very swooshable. The windscreen, however, is a bit hard to get off.

Overall: 8/10. Maybe I'm being generous. The only reason I got this was for Shaak and Saesee, and given that I'm mostly an OT fan, I actually really like this ship. The cockpit could be better, with more room for the Jedi.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for your patience.

Churchill.

Edited by KimT

Nice review, although the pics are huge and you're missing pics of the minifigs! :tongue:

As for the actual set, it's actually better than I expected. I like the cockpit and the engines a lot more than I thought I would :thumbup:

Sorry the pics are huge. I don't have MS paint on the netbook, and I couldn't figure out any other way to shrink them. You wouldn't have wanted to see my pics of the figs. They were horrible.

Thanks for finally sharing this pictorial review Churchill. Though right off the bat, I must say the photos are waaay beyond EB's limit for image sizes. I hope you could fix that so you could give mercy to those who have relatively slow computers.

Regarding the set, I agree it's not as bad as we initially thought it would be. It's just alright, nothing spectacular but pretty decent. I think it's worth getting for the two new lovely jedi figs. The worst case scenario is that you'll have a $60 worth of new available parts + a quartet of useful jedi figs. Not bad at all.

Pics are Huge! :sing: Resize! If you don't know how, just google it, it will tell you how. :sweet:

The review is good, and the pics aren't that bad considering they are the first you have taken of Lego.

I can't wait to get this set, the ship isn't bad, but the figs are amazing!

Thanks for the review!

CF

I really like the look of the ship but would never pay $60 for it. The minifigs don't interest me too much. I don't like the look of the clone wars figs. I already have 2 Anakins that I really only use the hairpieces of.

If you have your pictures hosted on Flickr, you can resize them using the picnic editor. If you don't have the premium service you have to save them as new pics but that just allows you to save the old ones for if someone wants a closer look. It's what I do.

Sorry about the huge pics. I'm working on trying to make them smaller.

They don't look that big to me... Great review btw... I think I am going to have to get this set

Thanks for the review 'Churchill' :sweet: , MS paint should be in your accessories folder, please pretty please resize or 'KimT' may have a fit ! *oh2*

The figures we already know are COOL, but the craft....I like it, much better in a way than the previous CW/PT shuttles....still not much beats OT shuttles ! :grin:

I too, can't wait to buy one of these as my son as lost most pieces from my CW characters and some of my OT ones too ! :cry_sad:

Aw, well.....may the brick be with you ! :yoda:

Pics look fine to me

Thanks for this review, Churchill. It confirms my suspicions th the wings are ugly and primitive looking, and I see a lot of big stickers. I did see they used the Technic turntable, though, that should make the model pretty sturdy.

BTW, how come people in the rumors thread were saying Shaak Ti's headpiece is rubber? What is it really made of?

Its definitely a nice review, however the set seems average in my opinion. The engine block does look interesting to me, its a nice oasis of the blockiness around it. Now I know the wings are supposed to be kid friendly which means lots of big pieces. I think this makes it way too blocky for us AFOLs. It also makes it more profitable for lego, less pieces at the same price if they used tiles and snot and curved pieces. Isnt time that lego get some really solid curved pieces and actually used them? Or invent some techniques to provide a smoother curve instead of just angled bricks still it gets the desired effects.

I would love to see some close ups of the new minifigs! :sweet:

Thanks for the great review. It would be nice to have pictures of the minifigs in the cockpit, though :classic:

Which colour is this red, actually? Not just the usual Republic dark red, right?

Sorry the pics are huge. I don't have MS paint on the netbook, and I couldn't figure out any other way to shrink them. You wouldn't have wanted to see my pics of the figs. They were horrible.

I don't mean to sound rude but why post a review then? If it's not going to be complete. The figs are always my favorite part of a set.

Thanks for the couple pictures of a 2011 set in person though.

Ok, I don't like this review.

It is really good (pictures quality is good), but without Shaak Ti's and Saesee Tiin's pictures I don't like

it at all.

I don't want to offense you, but in this review you haven't made pictures of the most important part of this set. :thumbdown:

Please put minifig pictures, even if they are bad, please! :classic:

...but why post a review then? ...

The minifigs pics are in. Sorry for the quality.

Thanks for all the kind comments on my review. They're very encouraging.

I thought that somewhere we had really good quality pics of the new jedi. Since I was really struggling just to figure out how to insert pictures, and how to resize them, I was actually proud of what I pulled off, and hoping that someone could do a really good review (meaning, better) soon.

I did the review in the first place because I wanted to share info about the shuttle, since it seemed like not too many people had it. Frankly, I was a bit embarassed by some of my pictures, since I'm generally good at taking other pics. But I figures some info is better than none.

Seems like you can't please everyone, though. I was going to try the V-wing today, but I think I'll pass. I'd rather spend the time playing with the new sets with my daughter than trying to struggle for an "outstanding" review for everyone.

If anyone has any questions about the V-wing or the Shuttle, I'm happy to help.

Again, thanks for the kind comments. It actually made me really happy this morning to see that some people thought I actually did a good job!

Churchill

After seeing this review, I'm actually a little less inclined to buy this set. The section under the engines on the bottom looks terrible and blocky, like LEGO just tacked it on to be functional, completely abandoning any attempt to make it mesh with the rest of the ship. If it weren't for the minifigs, I wouldn't even give this one a second look, honestly. Except for that whole OCD, collectors thing, which means I'll have to get it eventually. :grin:

The minifigs pics are in. Sorry for the quality.

Thanks for all the kind comments on my review. They're very encouraging.

I thought that somewhere we had really good quality pics of the new jedi. Since I was really struggling just to figure out how to insert pictures, and how to resize them, I was actually proud of what I pulled off, and hoping that someone could do a really good review (meaning, better) soon.

I did the review in the first place because I wanted to share info about the shuttle, since it seemed like not too many people had it. Frankly, I was a bit embarassed by some of my pictures, since I'm generally good at taking other pics. But I figures some info is better than none.

Seems like you can't please everyone, though. I was going to try the V-wing today, but I think I'll pass. I'd rather spend the time playing with the new sets with my daughter than trying to struggle for an "outstanding" review for everyone.

If anyone has any questions about the V-wing or the Shuttle, I'm happy to help.

Again, thanks for the kind comments. It actually made me really happy this morning to see that some people thought I actually did a good job!

Churchill

The review itself isn't bad, but certainly could be improved. Big Cam thinks that all reviews should come from Reviewers Academy reviewers, or be of the same quality. I can't say I disagree too much, though some non-RA reviews are far worse than this one. /end shameless plug

Thanks,Capt Dan. I ordered it online on Saturday- arrived yesterday. Just don't ask me what the shipping cost. I saw last night that TRU has already marked up the prices. That didn't take long at all.

Thanks for the great review. It would be nice to have pictures of the minifigs in the cockpit, though :classic:

Which colour is this red, actually? Not just the usual Republic dark red, right?

I think it's just standard red.

I think it's just standard red.

That really sucks...don't think I want this set anymore after this review. Maybe I'll buy Saesee and Shaak from BL...but the shuttle is rather useless and ugly.

Pics look fine to me

Thanks for this review, Churchill. It confirms my suspicions th the wings are ugly and primitive looking, and I see a lot of big stickers. I did see they used the Technic turntable, though, that should make the model pretty sturdy.

BTW, how come people in the rumors thread were saying Shaak Ti's headpiece is rubber? What is it really made of?

A youtube review was a little vague...Churchill said its plastic :classic: .

Great review Churchill, I think I'm gonna get this :thumbup: .

Edited by brickartist

A youtube review was a little vague...Churchill said its plastic :classic: .

Great review Churchill, I think I'm gonna get this :thumbup: .

I'll just say the top of both heads feels like Ahsoka. The horns and the head tails are bendable. They don't feel like rubber, like, say, Plo Koon's head.

How they smell? Well, you'll have to get that off of Youtube.

I'll just say the top of both heads feels like Ahsoka. The horns and the head tails are bendable. They don't feel like rubber, like, say, Plo Koon's head.

How they smell? Well, you'll have to get that off of Youtube.

So are we talking hybrids, like the finial pieces in the Assassin BP (the one's previously in Exo-Force)?

Wow! Great review, and thanks! I kinda really want to buy the set now. It definetely looks better than I thought it would.

I agree with what you said, we already have great pics of the minifigures, so i'm not too bugged about that. :classic:

So are we talking hybrids, like the finial pieces in the Assassin BP (the one's previously in Exo-Force)?

Hmmm. Could be. I looked at the finials again, and at first I thought they were plastic covered with rubber, but what looks like the plastic piece also bends on the end (looking at the underside).

I don't know. I'm curious to see what others think when they get the pieces.

Wow! Great review, and thanks! I kinda really want to buy the set now. It definetely looks better than I thought it would.

I agree with what you said, we already have great pics of the minifigures, so i'm not too bugged about that. :classic:

Thanks Brickbuilder. I didn't think the minifig pictures were that big a deal either.