pif500

WINTER BREAK: Weasley' Wizard Wheezes

Excellent entry the details are superb NPU off the minifigs legs but maybe you could put and old skeleton arm in it so you can't see the technic pin?

All in all superb entry

This is what I built, but yours dwarfs mine (Mine's a little more movie inspired)! The details are superb! The only criticism I have is it's not what I really imagined this shop to look like, but to each their own.

I'm not even sure if it would be worth posting mine without a major mod! What do you think?

You've used many clever techniques to really add the details to this creation, so kudos for that. It's amazing how some people can think so outside the box during their building process. I'd never even think of using minifig legs or skeleton pieces the ways you have. I also love the SNOT floor made with the rounded 1x2 bricks.

I have to say though, that as magnificently detailed and realistic as your building is, it doesn't really fit with the image I have in my mind about the Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. I don't know, maybe my mind is just corrupted by the movies, but I find there's a distinct lack of color in this creation. The interior should be exploding with color and life - it's a joke shop, after all - but now it looks like your everyday wizarding store. Even the products are mostly white or tan or grey, so they blend in too well into the walls. You shouldn't be afraid of using bright colors, even though you must always be careful for not overdoing them (although it's very hard to make a joke shop too colorful).

So yeah, this is an awesome creation that fits well into the Harry Potter world, but it doesn't look like the building it's supposed to be in my opinion.

Well, i have a mixed opinion about this.

I agree with Sandy that the exterior seems a bit bland, it is described in the books as being eye catching, and enough to get passers-by to stare in shock at it. I personally would have gone a bit more colorful on the exterior, (still might, once i decide what to build!) But on the other hand, the interior is absolutely fabulous! I love your technique for the flooring on the second story, and the chandelier is great. The interior fits right in with the Harry Potter line of this year, it is so filled with details. To some extent, it reminds me of Ollivanders, regarding the level of detail.

Anyway, this is great work, and best of luck to you in the contest!

(Well, in all Siriusness, second best might be preferrable to me :wink: )

Sirius

For a non-HP fan who is not familiar with the real Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, I'd say this is a very well-built structure. I really like how you achieved the curved window part of the house, and the clever use of the minifig legs for the exteriors details. The interiors are very lively too, and I think the candle chandelier and attic beds are very nicely done. Great work overall and best of luck in teh contest pif500! default_thumbup.gif

Great building :thumbup:

I like the angled front door and the rain pipe on the front.

Is the window on the right supposed to be a painting / advertisement? As a window I don't think it fits the building.

Wow! That's really beautiful! Especially the interior is amazing. I would be suprised if you won't end up as one of the winners.

Wow! That's really beautiful! Especially the interior is amazing. I would be suprised if you won't end up as one of the winners.

thank you Mr.Brick! :blush:

I don't know anything about Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, but your MOC looks good. It does have that slightly disorderly look that their (the Weasleys) own house has in the movie (prisoner of Azkaban?).

I like the desk on the ground floor and the outside-design with the 'bay window'(?) and the turned legs around the window.

Good job :thumbup:

Beautiful design! I don't think it needs to be more colorful at all, I think you've got it perfect. That window turret is awesome.

This is a stylish MOC, but it doesn't feel nearly as zany and exciting as this shop did in the books and movies. I agree with some other comments that suggest brighter colors-- these could help the interior feel less drab. Of course, the problem with that is that the interior would have to be a different color than the exterior-- a problem that has always been difficult to compensate for in LEGO without making buildings considerably larger or using stickers/printing to color a specific surface of a piece differently.

I like some of the details you worked in, though, like the crotchety old man outside, the minifig goblet used upside-down as a flask of mystery liquid, and the clown face and horn from the collectible minifigures to add a touch more zaniness. The exterior is also nice, and fits the aesthetic of the Diagon Alley set (although, like the interior, the exterior is not especially exciting).

Action features might be a way to improve the notion that exciting things are going on inside. As it is, the inside feels cramped, and having things that can move around inside could help that. Of course, the Harry Potter theme's recent revival isn't too action-feature intensive, so this does fit in with official sets in that way.

Ideally, those are the things to aim for in improving this: color and action features. And since action features rarely make a difference for photographing MOCs, the color is the main thing I feel this entry lacks.

Great MOC. The drain pipe and front door are really nice touches. I'm a bit unsure abotu the bay window though. Interior is good but I'd like to see more to be honest. More colour to be in keeping with the Weasley's personality and may be a bit more happening inside the building, i'm asking a lot but this is such a great start that with a few tweaks it could be outstanding.

A really nice entry. I love all the details and nice parts usage as well. This should stand you in good stead in this competition.

What a great entry to begin this contest with! :thumbup: The overall look is very nice and you've used some great techniques and details in there. The snowy touch is also nice. I think your building fits well in a wizarding village, with all those little crazy details and the curved part, there's definitely some magic going on there. The exterior would really be complete with some purple posters, but alas, no decals are allowed.

The interior is also lovely, but as said before, there could be a bit more colour in it. But I still like it though, there are lovely details and there's a nice variety of shop items. Great job and good luck in the contest! :wink: