L@go

MOC: Modular Pharmacy

indexed.gif B-OM-2C

Hello all,

I keep lurking around the forum, posting now and then, but not being a very active member. But I thought I'd maybe share a few pictures of my first own design since before my dark ages, a modular pharmacy.

I started off designing it in MLCAD, and then ordered the bricks via BrickLink (especially from BL store 1001bricks - well worth checking out, for European builders at least. Not the cheapest store, but they offer great service). It turned out quite expensive, but that's hardly a surprise, knowing this hobby :)

I think I should mention that I've borrowed some ideas from others; the couch on the first floor is a shameless rip-off of a design from Brickshelf user 'sheep', and the head of the swan above the entrance is based on Brickshelf user OldMcBricker's design. Apart from that, it's all my own design.

The pictures didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped - it seems my stationary computer, which I use for photo editing, shows the images as being darker than they are, so I've brightened them a bit too much, which has done bad things with the contrast. So you'll have to take them as they are, it was way too much work to go through that whole process again...

As for the building itself: I was quite happy with the way it looked in MLCAD, but when I built with real bricks I felt that there was maybe a little bit too much going on on the facade - it's a bit too busy. I like the dark blue/white color combination, but I'm not sure about the black/dark red for the top floor.

What I'm content with, though, is the interior. I tried to make it detailed without being too packed, and I think it turned out well. The ground floor features shelves with different remedies, a tray with pill boxes, a cash register, a tiny office space under the stairs, the spiral staircase itself, a couple of waiting chairs where a slightly dodgy-looking guy patiently waits for his drugs, and a very friendly pharmacist.

The first floor features a medical library, the aforementioned sofa, and a table with a lava lamp.

And on the top floor there's a couple of chairs and a table, and a TV set (regrettably, it's mono). On the terrace (is that really the correct term?) the old pharmacist dreams of the old days before he left most of the work to his young female apprentice.

Constructive comments are welcome!

dsc_0007.jpg

dsc_0008.jpg

dsc_0012.jpg

The swan above the entrance, inspired by Old McBricker.

dsc_0023.jpg

dsc_0024.jpg

The spiral staircase, complete with railing. Note the small office space under the stairs.

dsc_0026.jpg

Medical library and lava lamp.

dsc_0027.jpg

Sofa, design by sheep.

dsc_0030.jpg

mlcad.jpg

The original MLCAD design.

There are a few more pics in my Brickshelf folder.

Edited by Phred

Great work on this Modular Pharmacy MOC L@go! :thumbup: It's nice to see the transformation from MLCAD deisgn into real brickbuild. The exterior architecture looks good, but the interiors are even better IMO. The spiral staircase is very cleverly built, as are the other details inside like the medical library, medicine rack and that unique lava lamp.

Great work on this Modular Pharmacy MOC L@go! :thumbup: It's nice to see the transformation from MLCAD deisgn into real brickbuild. The exterior architecture looks good, but the interiors are even better IMO. The spiral staircase is very cleverly built, as are the other details inside like the medical library, medicine rack and that unique lava lamp.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

This is really nice and lots of stunning details, I love it :wub:.

Thanks, CB

Very nice pharmacy :thumbup:. The spiral staircase is really great (I'm a sucker for spiral staircases in LEGO :tongue:). That lava lamp is also a really nice touch. I think you've done a great job on both the exterior and interior of this building :sweet:

This is one of the best modulars I've seen in a while. The level of detail is perfect, and I like what you did for a spiral staircase railing. My favorite detail is the lava lamp - so simple a build yet spot on in terms of accuracy. I hope this turns out to be the first of many of your creations you share here :classic:

Great modular building! It is highly deatiled. I particularly like the brick-built swan. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Wow! I love it. The swan on the exterior and the staircase inside are my favourite details :thumbup:

:grin: AWESOME modular creation you have here 'L@go', beautiful exterior with that excellent swan above the doorway. Plus the interior, very nice too....my favorite parts are the pieces of furniture....AWESOME sofa and before I forget..that staircase :thumbup: very clever design. :grin:

Great work 'L@go' and keep on MOCing ! :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

This one is really awesome.

I don't like "plain" floor, as I think, a lot of Lego Feeling is lost, but that doesn't make your MOC less impressive.

I wish I would be as creative as some of the guys here. ;-)

Wow guys, I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback! Wasn't prepared for so much of it :)

I'm a sucker for spiral staircases in LEGO.

Yeah, I guessed from the pic in your signature! Quite happy with the design, haven't seen anybody else do it like that and I like how it turned out.

This is one of the best modulars I've seen in a while. My favorite detail is the lava lamp - so simple a build yet spot on in terms of accuracy. I hope this turns out to be the first of many of your creations you share here :classic:

Thank you very much - coming from somebody who creates the builds you do it means a lot! I just had the idea to put a lava lamp in, and thought it'd be a nice touch. It's fun to see that you like it so much! :)

I particularly like the brick-built swan.

Thanks a lot - along with the detailed interior it's the feature I'm the most happy with. Didn't take so long to figure out how to do it about right, either - it just sort of came together quite easily!

AWESOME sofa and before I forget..that staircase :thumbup: very clever design.

Thanks again - I won't take any credit for that sofa, as I said it's a design from Brickshelf user 'sheep' - although I do think it fits very well into the interior in dark red.

I don't like "plain" floor, as I think, a lot of Lego Feeling is lost.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but maybe you're talking about the tiled ground floor? It's sort of become standard for the modulars to have a tiled ground floor, so that's why I did it, plus I do think the chess-board pattern looks nice. But I guess it's all a matter of what you fancy :)

Again, thanks a bunch for all the nice words! In fact, I found it so inspiring that I've gone back to MLCAD this afternoon to start working again on my next build, which has been left in limbo with just the (tiled) ground floor finished for a few months now. But who knows - if I have the time and money over the next couple of months I might present it to you some time - it's a 32x32 tan modular building with a couple of nice interior features...

Very nice beautiful pleasant MOC filled with nifty great details inside out. Love the spiral staircase very much and the amount of details that you gave for your interior. Given the limited amount of space, you have managed to make it appears to less clutter. Thanks for sharing it with us and I will be looking forward to more of your works. :thumbup:

By the way, this MOC is now blogged in,

See it on Classic-Town.net

By the way, this MOC is now blogged...

I'm honoured! Thank you very much!

It's interesting that you should bring up the space issue. When I decided to do my first modular on a 16x32 instead of a 32x32, I did it because I thought it would be better to start off small. But actually, now that I work on the interior for my next building, which is 32x32, I find that so much easier than dealing with the cramped space of the 16x32... and that's one of the things that makes the spiral staircase a very good choice in this case. The way I've used it it doesn't take up more space than a 7x7 area in the corner, and it still leaves room on the ground floor to put some furniture underneath it, like the tiny office space.

Edited by L@go

A modular pharmacy is a very good idea L@go. The building is very well done with a great deal of detail. Good job! :thumbup:

A modular pharmacy is a very good idea L@go. The building is very well done with a great deal of detail. Good job! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! I don't know if you remember, but if you've seen my Brickshelf folder, you've probably been reminded that I was the one who liked your Small Car Dealership so much I copied it. I'm planning to snap some better pictures of that and share it - although it's more or less identical, it features the cars in different colours and a Crossblade.

That is a great modular building, especially the spiral staircase.

Coming from you, that means a lot. In my opinion, your modulars are among the very best out there.

Edited by L@go

This MOC looks really good! Good job with the staircase! It looks fantastic and really well done.

From experience, I find it really hard to make a good modular house with the 16x32 base plate, but you sure did a good job with this one!

Amazing so many great details the swan staircase and so forth good work. :classic::thumbup:

Amazing so many great details the swan staircase and so forth good work. :classic::thumbup:

Funny to find this on the first page of the Town forum again :)

This MOC looks really good! Good job with the staircase! It looks fantastic and really well done.

From experience, I find it really hard to make a good modular house with the 16x32 base plate, but you sure did a good job with this one!

Thanks a lot! The 16x32 footprint does make things a bit harder - but I like a challenge.

Your minifig museum isn't too bad, either :) Let me know the next time you're putting it on show somewhere, I might just have to stop by and take a look at it...

Wow. It's beautiful a beautiful pharmacy! :classic:

Do you have the building instructions for sale?

Thanks! And no, I'm sorry. "The building instructions" don't exist - if they did, I'd be more than willing to sell them to you :)

I've been toying with the idea of making instructions for a couple of my MOCs, but that's a lot of work. So I'll have to wait until I have too much time on my hands...

What a beautiful modular building!

A love the railing on the stairs and the great inner details. Awesome stuff in this Pharmacy!

Nice work!

Thank you! It's fun to see how many people like the staircase. I've used the same design in another modular, a massive white bank building that I'm planning on sharing here soon, but I haven't got around to taking photos of it yet. Plus, I'm not sure I'm happy about the roof of that one - for some reason, my inspiration seems to run dry once I get past the second floor...

Thanks for your reply!

It's unfortunate that you don't have the instructions. :sad:

If you do manage to make one some day in the distant future, please let me know because I'd definately buy it.

I'm a pharmacist and I really want build one myself.

Keep up the great work! :wink: