Yatkuu

[MOC] A New Hope - Making history

I had this idea in my head for a while now... I don't know if this has been done before.

Anyway, probably not the average SW MOC but this is the image I have in my mind when I think of "A New Hope"... the image of George Lucas and his team filming small plastic spaceships hung by strings over a "Death Star"...

Pretty amazing when you think of it... these guys were making history, who would have thought?

1.jpg

A top view from the set...

2.jpg

As you can see, not everything is Lego here...I hope the purists will forgive me!

3.jpg

The chill room where the actors are resting between the takes.

4.jpg

In the back we can see Harrison Ford and Peter Mayhew having a make up session...

5.jpg

The Death Star shot...

6.jpg

I was not trying to be accurate, just pay a tribute to one of my favourite film, hope you like it!

Edit: resized pictures!

Edited by Yatkuu

This looks very nice. This is a very cool way to show a star wars moc. I really like some of the details such as the dressing room and C-3PO.

Great job :thumbup:

Peter Mayhew is not blonde, you know...also the lightsabers weren't colored back then in 1977 :grin: Anyway nice idea, nice creation.

This is something unique and I've never seen anything done like this before. I congratulate you on a great idea. :thumbup: Your mini X-wing is very neat and I see some very good piece usage in there.

Woah... This is the first time I have seen someone take the focal point of a star wars moc in a different direction. Most people don't show the filming of which I think you did very nicely. And the mini X-wing design is nice too.

This is definetaly outside the norm, but I think iot was done very tastefully. The studi lights look really good and your deathstar model looks cool.

I think my favorite part is C3-P0 with his head off, very clever.

Excellent idea and creation 'Yatkuu' and congrat's on being Front Paged ! :sweet:

The lighting and dressing rooms are AWESOME as to the rest of it....just as much like it would have being back in the mid-70's on set.

A piece of useless information....the blaster firing sound came from hitting a radio tower guy wire with a wrench ! :grin:

Oh, I know a little bit about a New Hope !

Again, AWESOME 'Yatkuu' and may the brick be with you ! :yoda:

Brilliant MOC Yatkuu! A truly great concept of looking at ANH in a different perspective. I think you really captured the busy behind-the-scenes activies of the movie. A lot of details are to be liked about this build - the mini-DS set-up, the rolling camera, the chillin' actors taking a break, and the dressing room. Impressive work overall! default_thumbup.gif

Good idea, never would have thought of it.default_blink.gif I understand its not exactly accurate, but it doesnt need to be, since there isn't much reference material. That s the smallest x wing ive ever seen.default_satisfied.gif

Very impresive. Good idea, never would have thought about it.

Woops, ive copied your words without knowing!default_laugh_new.gif Sorry!

Always nice to see something unusual. I like the way you did the DS setup. Did you research this first or just began building as you envisioned it?

BTW, you got it wrong- Empire was much better than the other five movies. :wink:

That is really good, I think you would have also done well if you had the chance to put this in the 'everyday life' contest too..

Good idea there, tasteful !

Love he picture with Anthony Daniels drinking in his costume, it really captures "the behind the scene" moment.

Well done !

A very funny and different MOC indeed!

I think you have captured how it might have looked like, and many funny details as well in there.

Thank you all for these nice comments - never would have tought of making it frontpage too!

This is something unique and I've never seen anything done like this before. I congratulate you on a great idea. :thumbup: Your mini X-wing is very neat and I see some very good piece usage in there.

Credits for the micro x-wing go to DrNicket MacLeod... I found his model by Googling "Micro x-wing"

link to his Moc Page

Always nice to see something unusual. I like the way you did the DS setup. Did you research this first or just began building as you envisioned it?

I just started to build randomly and it ultimately took shape, it is a fun exercise - try to build without any real plan... I had just prepared a few bricks I wanted to be included (the micros from the singer Minifig for instance) and then I tried to make it look cool as a whole.

Peter Mayhew is not blonde, you know...also the lightsabers weren't colored back then in 1977 :grin: Anyway nice idea, nice creation.

lol, now that you mention it... he is indeed nowhere near blonde (check his web site!)!! :laugh: well, what can I say "sorry Peter?" - I did this MOC with what I had available!

good catch on the lighsaber too... :wink:

Very interesting concept. Sadly, I think that an Episode I version will just be a couple hundred green tiles in a box.

Woooow that is good. Maybe you could add a minifig head on the Artoo body or one looking like he is about to get in. and if you have one replace the blue lightsabre blade with a gray one. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: (that is the first 3 thumbs up I've given, very interesting concept.

I've wanted to do some Star Wars behind-the-scenes MOCs for quite some time, myself. I'm a bit surprised to see so many others saying they hadn't thought of them before; I thought they'd been done a lot, but now that I think about it I don't really remember seeing many (any?) posted before (wow, could this really be the first one posted here?)...

Since most of the live-action shooting (such as the awards ceremony at Yavin IV, shot in a studio in London) and visual effects work (such as the Death Star surface, shot in miniature at the very first ILM facility in California) weren't even done on the same continents, I think this is meant more as a artistic interpretation rather than an attempt to accurately recreate a specific day of shooting (though interestingly, Mark Hamill did visit the ILM facilities and check out the effects miniatures).

BTW, you got it wrong- Empire was much better than the other five movies. :wink:

Yatkuu didn't say it wasn't, only that A New Hope is his / her favorite, which of course is not the same thing as the best, and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Yatkuu is the world's foremost expert authority on what movies are Yatkuu's favorites. :wink: I personally agree Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is the best movie in the series, but Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope remains my own personal favorite, like Yatkuu's (it's also the one I personally would pick as the greatest, even while selecting Empire as the best, since I also draw a distinction between "greatest" and "best").

:wink::classic:

Dont be silly ATOTC was the best of them all. (followd by ROTJ):wink:

Nice MOC I really like the DS set up and the micro X-Wing :sweet:

Dont be silly ATOTC was the best of them all. (followd by ROTJ):wink:

I thought it was the phantom menace :grin: