Sign in to follow this  
Still Raindrop

Review: 7977 Seabed Strider

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

7977-00.jpg

I went to Toys R Us today, and picked up a few of the new 2011 sets. In this topic, I will be reviewing 7977 Seabed Strider, which I got for USD 10.

The Box

The box has attractive artwork on the cover, with some bioluminescent fish and a temple in the background. The back of the box shows the transforming feature and a close-up of the Hammerhead Warrior.

7977-01.jpg

7977-02.jpg

The Pieces

Pouring out the contents of the box, one finds two polybags, instructions, and a small sticker sheet.

7977-03.jpg

The contents of the bags.

7977-04.jpg

Here are some of the more interesting/unique pieces (minifigure pieces not included--I'll show those soon).

7977-05.jpg

7977-06.jpg

The trident is the newer mold. I know that these came out in last year's sets, too, but I only ever got the old mold, so I'll show a comparison.

7977-20.jpg

I was pleased to find that the new mold is also unable to do this.

7977-21.jpg

The Minifigures

The diver is ok. That just about sums up my feelings on him. I think he's a step down from the previous divers, especially in the level of detail on his torso--it feels almost like a 90s print. I do like the printing on his legs, though.

7977-07.jpg

7977-08.jpg

7977-09.jpg

7977-10.jpg

7977-11.jpg

7977-12.jpg

The Hammerhead Warrior, on the other hand, is simply beautiful--and I don't just say that because hammerheads are my favorite sharks. The headpiece is fantastic in both look and feel--the softer plastic gives it a sharkish, cartilaginous feel. I can't fully capture it in photos, but I can try! In addition, the trans-red head is great, too. The printing on the teeth is a little thin on mine, but that's ok--the red underneath makes it look like the rows of teeth (which they did very well) are bloody!

7977-13.jpg

7977-14.jpg

7977-15.jpg

7977-16.jpg

7977-17.jpg

7977-18.jpg

7977-19.jpg

Part two will be coming later--I have to get to work!

Edited by Peppermint_M

Great! I like this set. The sharkman is cool :thumbup:

It's nice to see they "fixed" the trident :classic:

Can't wait for the rest of the review :wink:

Edited by prateek

Thanks for the review and pics!

The new column pieces are so awesome, can't wait to get my hands on a bunch od those!

The hammerhead headpiece is simply amazing, along with mantis and "regular" shark head these could make one hell of a crew for the Flying Dutchman!!!

Pirate

Nice to see that new Sharkman. Can't wait to red the rest. I got this set but have yet to open it. I just might now!

Can't wait for the review! I hated this set at first because it just looked stupid as a mech, but seeing how it can transform into a speeder I like it a lot now. And the Hammerhead minifig is just awesome!

The Build

First, a random instruction page.

7977-22.jpg

We begin our build by making a column. Three steps and we're done.

7977-23.jpg

The build then begins on the main part of the sest--the Seabed Strider. Within a few steps, I noticed that there are two connection methods used right next to each other--a click-hinge and a clip. I'm not sure of the reason for this; it operates just like a regular click hinge. Perhaps it's for extra stability if the hinge gets loose?

7977-24.jpg

A few steps later and the body is done.

7977-25.jpg

I like how the lights look. I'm not sure why--they just look cool.

7977-26.jpg

Next, we build the two little propellor/engine modules.

7977-27.jpg

We then attach them to the aforementioned hinge and clip.

7977-28.jpg

The last things built are the leg sections.

7977-29.jpg

Here are a few views of the completed set.

7977-30.jpg

7977-31.jpg

It looks nice as an underwater mech, but unfortunately, this is as far forward as the legs go.

7977-32.jpg

Not very useful for walking around the ocean floor (not that walking is the best way to get around the ocean floor, of course). But that's what the transformation feature is for, right? Well, here are a few shots of the transformed walker.

7977-33.jpg

7977-34.jpg

That's how LEGO says to do it. I'm not sure whether I prefer it in the official, "frog kick/Superman" position, or in a slightly more closed one.

7977-35.jpg

7977-36.jpg

Here are the leftover pieces. Nice to get an extra set of yellow flippers.

7977-37.jpg

Thoughts

What are my thoughts on this set? Well, they're very mixed. As I mentioned, the Hammerhead Warrior is one of the coolest minifigures I own. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel that the set itself fails to deliver. I am very disappointed at the mech's lack of poseability. I mean, it looks cool and all, but you can't move it into any sort of walking position for an action pose. It just stands there. What's the point of making a non-moving mech? It's not very playable at all. I would even have preferred the old sliding method that the old classic space robots, Roboforce sets, and original AT-ST used. At least you could play with those and put them into cool walking positions. This one is just static.

As far as the transformation goes, I like that a lot less than I thought I would. Sure, it's better than the walker mode, but it looks rather awkward, truthfully. the legs don't look like part of a submarine as much as they look like, well, legs. The undersea scooter mode still looks cool, but the legs detract from it.

In conclusion, I would have a really hard time recommending this set to anyone. The hammerhead warrior is awesome, but you can get him in another set, and, quite frankly, the vehicle in that other set looks better than the one in this set (and it would make a better parts pack). The shield is the only unique item, but that can probably be picked up on Bricklink soon, at a much cheaper price than the $10 the set is going for. As much as I want to like this set, it just feels like it falls short.

7977-38.jpg

Edited by Mariko

Again, nice pics! Seeing the set, I feel that this new line of Atlantis is like past ones. The sets look cool, but they're missing something. Something important, but very difficult to explain. Someone back me up on this! :sadnew::tongue:

Again, nice pics! Seeing the set, I feel that this new line of Atlantis is like past ones. The sets look cool, but they're missing something. Something important, but very difficult to explain. Someone back me up on this! :sadnew::tongue:

I agree. While the larger subs, creatures, and Atlantean places (Gateway, Portal, Temple, etc) are stunning, the smaller subs are less than satisfactory. Sure, they're nice sets, but they're not as appealing as the larger ones. I guess I can't explain it either. :tongue:

Thanks for the review of this excellent set 'Mariko', a transforming sea-scooter - SWEET ! :grin:

Plus another new baddie, this is just about the only set from this theme I will be buying !

Keep on diving ! :wink:

I feel that for the price, this set isn't bad. It's a nice parts pack for smaller builds or for details and has plenty of new/recoloured parts as well as one very fantastic minifig. I think that 'playability' is defined by the individual these days since the old definition of 'playability in LEGO has become... outdated.

There was a time where sets were build with functions galore in clever and unique ways, but nowadays, I think that features like that are few and far-between to the point where we should begin to redefine what makes a set 'playable'.

Great review, though! You put plenty of commentary inn it and I like that a lot in reviews :) And your pictures are nice and clear, which is a plus :thumbup:

On a side note, would you be opposed to taking pictures of the other sets pictured in the back of the instructions, perhaps with emphasis on the crab warrior? I'd like to see if I can make out any details.

Thanks for this great review!

I was sure I was going to buy this set, but now I think I'll pass.

Sure the minifig is cool, but its not that great to spend 10$ on.

And anyway, Atlantis is really one of my favorite themes. :classic:

Great review Mariko, thanks for sharing! default_thumbup.gif This one is very interesting, a medium-sized set with a decent vehicle and nice selection of minifigs. IMO, the vehicle is better in the 'frogkick/Superman' mode compared to the mecha/walker mode. And the Hammerhead warrior looks cool! That's actually what's great about the Atlantis sets, the cool-looking villains.

I completely agree! It's something I can't quite put my finger on, but all the Atlantis sets I bought have been pretty quickly disassmbled.

The click hinge and bar/clip combination is a pretty odd detail.

I've been thinking a lot about what keeps Atlantis from being truly exciting as a theme. From what I can see, it is a lot subtle oddities that add up.

It looks like the designers are still trying to find the ideal balance between function and design to make the transformable vehicle gimmick look good. The sense of scale seems off. For example, the vehicle in this set would feel very different if you remove the controls for the minifig and imagined it to be in midi scale. I would also like to see more details like oxygen tanks to give the vehicles more of an undersea feel. The human minifigs tend to look like clones because all of their personalities are hidden behind identical diving gear.

Wasn't too impressed by initial pics of the set, and this review doesn't dispel any of my skepticism. That of course is no criticism of the review, which is clear and informative with lovely pics.

The hammerhead guy is great, I have loved all the Atlantis warriors so far and they are really pushing the boat out ( :hmpf_bad: ) with the 2011 ones. Awesome. However the walker just doesn't excite me. The transformation seems a bit weak, and the colours grate a little compared to last years Atlantis sets.

Great review! As stated, I liked your honestly when going over the pros and cons of the set.

I picked this one up today and wasn't disappointed (though I didn't set my standards too high for this set). I was delighted with the minifigs and column, but the walker did leave something to be desired. It would be better if they'd included a seat, or at least a place for the diver to stand on it. I always hate how the divers are often barely hanging onto their smaller crafts by a lone handlebar. default_sceptic.gif

This is actually looks to be my favorite Atlantis set yet reviewed.

At Target yesterday I could have gotten Deep Sea Striker and the Seabed Scavenger for $10USD each, but I can't stand the Atlantis animals, and the Seabed Scavenger I feel I can wait to see if I still want it during clearance. Atlantis has been on sale for about a month of so now.

I feel this set is better for $10 than those to other ones. I like this transforming sub, I love the minifigures, I love the 90s feel to them (even if it doesn't fit), I can't stand the light bley helmet, it looks cheap, but I'll get used to it. I rather spend $10 on this set, than the 2010 ones.