26 members have voted

1. 1. How good is the set?

• 1. a comprimised suit
    • 2. A bad propeller
    • 3. A nice harpoon
    • 4. A gold goblet!
    • 5. A treasure chest!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello,welcome to my review of the new ocean speeder.

NAME:Ocean speeder

SET #7976

PRICE:4:99

Release date:2011

THEME:Atlantis

#of minifigs:1

Today I will be reviewing the 2011 Atlantis impulse set 7976,I must say the set was better than I thought...

PART:1 THE BOX

october24_2010_172.jpg

A fine view of the new Atlantis packaging.I see some sort of temple in the background.

BACK OF BOX

october24_2010_173.jpg

The set has no features whatsoever,so it shows the diver,the speeder,and treasure.

SIDE OF BOX

october24_2010_174.jpg

Nothing much to see here except a actual size goblet.

PART 2:THE INSTRUCTIONS

october24_2010_175.jpg

The same picture on the box,the fact that they come folded makes me really,really ANGRY!

october24_2010_176.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the this pic,but the instructions took up most of my picture space.Also,I did not take pics steps 7 and 8,sorry. :sad:

THE OTHER SETS

october24_2010_177.jpg

I see some good stuff!

THE CRAB MAN

october24_2010_179.jpg

This guy is so cool he gets his own picture!

THE KEY

october24_2010_181.jpg

Like I said in the Atlantis 2011 topic,The key is gold and dark red.

PART 4:THE PARTS AND MINIFIGURE

october24_2010_182.jpg

some of the part's in there look good!

INTERESTING PARTS

october24_2010_183.jpg

A gunmetal harpoon and propeller,a light bley diving suit,a trans-yellow visor,a yellow hinge piece,a new leg and torso print,AND YELLOW FLIPPERS!What more could you ask for?(Maybe a guardian of some sort. :wink: )

october24_2010_184.jpg

The diver,the head is old,I think. *huh* I like the torso print though.

october24_2010_185.jpg

The back,showing a confused face and his back printing.

WITH SUIT ON

october24_2010_186.jpg

He looks pretty impressive,I think.

THE TREASURE

october24_2010_187.jpg

A very simple sub build,but I think it plays its part well.

ODD PART

october24_2010_188.jpg

When building I found this part,witch has never been seen in light gray.(or has it?...)

PART 5 THE BUILD

october24_2010_189.jpg

the third step into the build,most of the body has been built.

october24_2010_190.jpg

The sixth step,and the body is completed and a good example of SNOT is shown to attach the arms.

october24_2010_191.jpg

You build 2 of these wings,and I forgot to mention the DSS is here,but they are easy to apply.The other one has the set number on it.

PART 4 THE COMPLETED SET

october24_2010_192.jpg

The speeder in all its glory!I feel the color scheme has been pulled off nicely,Except for...

october24_2010_193.jpg

THE HORROR! A ugly mix of different colors!

october24_2010_196.jpg

A good shot of the speeder head on.

THE EXTRAS

october24_2010_194.jpg

Pretty much what you would expect from a small set,but I can never have enough 1x1 tiles and yellow flippers.

CONCLUSION

Price to piece ratio:9,you get 10 parts per dollar,pretty good.

parts:10,plenty of recolored parts!

minifigure(s):7the light bley to dark bley is OK,but also pretty ugly

playability:3,The diver can find the treasure,but theres not much to fight.(except for the snake!)

design:5 Average for a set this big.

TOTAL 8 You get a good price per piece ratio,and some new parts!PS I would like to have this review graded.

october24_2010_197.jpg

Very cool! I like this set a lot better than this year's impulses. Is this the same price, or more than impulses?

It's not an impulse; it's $4.99. Impulses are $2.50, I believe.

It's not an impulse; it's $4.99. Impulses are $2.50, I believe.

In Canada they're 4.99, so I'm curious :hmpf_bad::tongue:

That's a cool little speeder thing. I like.

Still not convinced by the yellow on the divers though, I think the original Atlantis crew in green looked much better.

Are you sure the propeller and harpoon are gunmetal? They don't look anything like it. While darker than many silver pieces, they look (from the photos) to be the same color as silver parts from the Kingdoms and Hero Factory themes-- a new color called 315 Silver Metallic, which replaced the silver color from previous years. Even the "gunmetal" parts from previous years have been phased out as of summer 2010: they've been replaced with a new dark silver color called 316 Titanium Metallic.

Many people have been confused about this already-- Bricklink lists pretty much any silver part from the Hero Factory theme as Pearl Dark Gray, despite looking nothing like "gunmetal" parts. They do not currently distinguish 315 and 316 from previous so-called "pearl" colors, even though the distinction was quickly noticed when Kingdoms sets started showing up. At least with Kingdoms sets, there's some relief to be had in that the darker shade (Titanium Metallic) is conflated with Pearl Dark Gray, while the lighter shade (Silver Metallic) is conflated with Pearl Light Gray.

Bricklink makes some pretty ridiculous color errors, especially with metallic colors, transparent colors, and blended parts. For instance, they assume that Hamm's plug from the Toy Story theme is Fabuland Brown-- I don't see how anyone with a mite of sense could assume that Fabuland Brown is being used in 2010 sets. They also identify several pre-2010 parts as Transparent Bright Green (the color of Atlantis windscreens)-- never mind that this color is new to 2010 and was never seen previously! (Most of the other parts they identify as transparent bright green are Clikits parts that are actually in 227 Transparent Bright Yellowish Green rather than the 2010 color 311 Transparent Bright Green. Blended parts (especially from the BIONICLE theme) are even worse, sometimes even suggesting that a part that has a clearly-transparent color in it is just "lime blended with... ummm... more lime".

Blah. Sorry to derail this discussion with a rant. Great review.

Not a bad set. Has some unique new recolors to start the new theme. Decent price.

If you care for some criticism, your review could use some work. Pics are small (or low res?), some are dark and several are out of focus. In addition, your type has some bad-ish grammar, few typos, and a lack of proper capitalization and spaces between words / lines.

You might look at the very well made reviews done by our "Reviewer's Academy" or see if they are accepting new people if you want to do more reviews.

Thanks for the early look though.

Are you sure the propeller and harpoon are gunmetal? They don't look anything like it. While darker than many silver pieces, they look (from the photos) to be the same color as silver parts from the Kingdoms and Hero Factory themes-- a new color called 315 Silver Metallic, which replaced the silver color from previous years. Even the "gunmetal" parts from previous years have been phased out as of summer 2010: they've been replaced with a new dark silver color called 316 Titanium Metallic.

Many people have been confused about this already-- Bricklink lists pretty much any silver part from the Hero Factory theme as Pearl Dark Gray, despite looking nothing like "gunmetal" parts. They do not currently distinguish 315 and 316 from previous so-called "pearl" colors, even though the distinction was quickly noticed when Kingdoms sets started showing up. At least with Kingdoms sets, there's some relief to be had in that the darker shade (Titanium Metallic) is conflated with Pearl Dark Gray, while the lighter shade (Silver Metallic) is conflated with Pearl Light Gray.

Bricklink makes some pretty ridiculous color errors, especially with metallic colors, transparent colors, and blended parts. For instance, they assume that Hamm's plug from the Toy Story theme is Fabuland Brown-- I don't see how anyone with a mite of sense could assume that Fabuland Brown is being used in 2010 sets. They also identify several pre-2010 parts as Transparent Bright Green (the color of Atlantis windscreens)-- never mind that this color is new to 2010 and was never seen previously! (Most of the other parts they identify as transparent bright green are Clikits parts that are actually in 227 Transparent Bright Yellowish Green rather than the 2010 color 311 Transparent Bright Green. Blended parts (especially from the BIONICLE theme) are even worse, sometimes even suggesting that a part that has a clearly-transparent color in it is just "lime blended with... ummm... more lime".

Blah. Sorry to derail this discussion with a rant. Great review.

Seeing as I don't own any hero factory or kingdoms sets,I would not know the color.

That's a cool little speeder thing. I like.

Still not convinced by the yellow on the divers though, I think the original Atlantis crew in green looked much better.

Totally agree!Im actually going to replace as much of the yellow with the older bright green,really winds me up when they change the colours but continue a theme,makes my display look all odd!

Great review tho,wish these were available in the uk already!

Nice review KrystalKING! default_thumbup.gif I agree this one is a better impulse set than its predecessor, mostly because of the additional pieces. The increased price is understandably acceptable for a better-designed mini-vehicle.

I like this set - the speeder itself is the best design yet for a small Atlantis vehicle, and you get a couple of other cool pieces into the bargain, like the speargun and the seaweed. I think the yellow contrast bricks actually tie in well with the red and yellow color scheme of Atlantis 2011. I don't really like the scheme, but it is cohesive.

That head is definitely not new. Two out of my three Atlantis 2010 sets came with the same head. I wish they'd vary them a little bit. This is a point against the set, although at least the torso has changed for 2011.

Nice review, krystalKING.

Great review for a great set! I'll definitely be buying this set, because I like the minifig included and also the design of the speeder. :classic:

Very well done on the review. :thumbup:

~buddy~