Superkalle

Troubleshooting guide - LDD startup and advanced graphics problems

Many thanks Calabar, starting in Safe Mode and gradually adjusting the compatibility setting in LDD4 allowed me to open the models!

--Rob

Hey,

Well its been a while but Im back working in LDD again however Ive found the same problem exists like the last one. If im working on complex mocs especially if they have a lot of bricks the program crashs, just pops up saying stuff about creating a dump file and click ok to close.

I modified my project to be more modular which has worked a treat but as above its crashing.

Also the upgrade from 3 to 4 deleted all the groups so I had do those again.

Im running an i7 3ghz with 6 gig ram, gforce GTX 295

Be nice if LDD made use of the GPU (I dont think it does atm?)

Was thinking of getting a solid state drive and trying that. Any thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, is there a way to make LDD automatically "Hide web browser" when you boot? Something that I can add to the preferences file perhaps?

Its quite limiting in the preferences and I don't think you can auto hide it to be honest but it wouldn't hurt testing it out.

Just an update on that crashing issue I had, I purchased and installed a solid state hard drive and did a fresh install of windows on it. Running LDD from the SSD is heavenly, you can handle large models and when dragging them around there is no lag or chunkiness. I would suggest doing that for any hardcore fan that deals with large mocs.

Somewhat off-topic, but Superkalle, could you fix the title of this topic? It should say "troubleshooting", and it's jarring to see a pinned topic with such a glaring typo.

Somewhat off-topic, but Superkalle, could you fix the title of this topic? It should say "troubleshooting", and it's jarring to see a pinned topic with such a glaring typo.

Fixed now. :classic: I actually wrote with one "o" just to see how long before anyone would notice :tongue:

Its quite limiting in the preferences and I don't think you can auto hide it to be honest but it wouldn't hurt testing it out.

Just an update on that crashing issue I had, I purchased and installed a solid state hard drive and did a fresh install of windows on it. Running LDD from the SSD is heavenly, you can handle large models and when dragging them around there is no lag or chunkiness. I would suggest doing that for any hardcore fan that deals with large mocs.

SDD for the win. Once you experience it, you will never go back!

Unfortunately Ive encountered more crashing when importing large mocs into other mocs where LDD will just shut down. I haven't looked at the error log but the drive was worth getting because moving stuff around is so much easier. Does someone else have an idea on how to stop the crashing?

/me wishes for Wire frame mode

Unfortunately Ive encountered more crashing when importing large mocs into other mocs where LDD will just shut down. I haven't looked at the error log but the drive was worth getting because moving stuff around is so much easier. Does someone else have an idea on how to stop the crashing?

/me wishes for Wire frame mode

I've had a few crashes too when working with models with 50.000+ bricks. Turning down all graphics settings usually helps some.

Yea Ive got them down to the minimum including turning all the features off like brick count etc. I'm going to keep trying to find a way to fix it but I'm thinking its more hope then anything. In the mean time its back to modular work :)

Good to talk to you again btw Kalle!

OK there seems to be a brick limit set to LDD, whenever the moc hits about 40,000 pieces it just closes. Are you able to ask the devs if there is a way around it?

OK there seems to be a brick limit set to LDD, whenever the moc hits about 40,000 pieces it just closes. Are you able to ask the devs if there is a way around it?

I can always ask, but I'm not sure I'll get a good answer. :sceptic:

The risk is that they simply say that the program wasn't designed for this size of MOCs (which we allready know).

I have a problem, everytime i try to run LDD, it starts, the blue loading bar goes, but as soon as it reaches half of it, LDD just closes itself, no pop-ups or crashing reports.

i've already tried editing the .ini file(UseShadersInScene=yes/no, UseShadersInPalette=yes/no, CompatibilityModeLevel=100), uninstalled and reinstalled LDD(manualy deleting all the relative folders which are not deleted with the uninstallation process too), but still it won't run.

video drivers are updated and LDD worked fine till 2 days ago, how can i fix this?

I have a problem, everytime i try to run LDD, it starts, the blue loading bar goes, but as soon as it reaches half of it, LDD just closes itself, no pop-ups or crashing reports.

i've already tried editing the .ini file(UseShadersInScene=yes/no, UseShadersInPalette=yes/no, CompatibilityModeLevel=100), uninstalled and reinstalled LDD(manualy deleting all the relative folders which are not deleted with the uninstallation process too), but still it won't run.

video drivers are updated and LDD worked fine till 2 days ago, how can i fix this?

Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

What computer and operating system are you using?

And just double checking: After uninstall you manually deleted all files in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company and C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer. Right? And you then downloaded and installed the latest setupfiles from ldd.lego.com? Did you also check that you don't have any instance of LDD running in the background (using Task Manager). This shouldn't be possible, but just to be certain.

When you edited the .ini-file, it was the one found here: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LEGO Company, right?

Also, did you try to edit these ini-settings:

UseShadersInPalette=yes/no

UseRoundEdges=yes/no

Hey, thanks for the help, I have an Asus EeePC 1005HA(Intel Atom CPU N280 @ 1.66 GHz, 1GB RAM, Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family) with MS Windows XP Home SP3.

Yes, I've manually deleted all files both in(since it's XP and not 7/Vista) "C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\ApplicationData\Lego Company\Lego Digital" and "C:\Program Files\Lego Company\Lego Digital Designer" after uninstall. Yes, I've downloaded the latest version o LDD from ldd.lego.com. Yes, when I edited the .ini file it was in "C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\ApplicationData\Lego Company\Lego Digital", and yes i've tried editing

UseShadersInScene=yes/no, UseShadersInPalette=yes/no, and UseRoundEdges=yes/no, and tried adding CompatibilityModeLevel=100.

There are no istances of LDD in the background, and when LDD closes itself, the LDD.EXE process closes itself too(unlike other programs where when they crash the process might still run and you have to close it yourself).

still it doesnt work, and as i said before, it worked fine till 2 days ago.

Edited by TheSeek

Hey, thanks for the help, I have an Asus EeePC 1005HA(Intel Atom CPU N280 @ 1.66 GHz, 1GB RAM, Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family) with MS Windows XP Home SP3.

Yes, I've manually deleted all files both in(since it's XP and not 7/Vista) "C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\ApplicationData\Lego Company\Lego Digital" and "C:\Program Files\Lego Company\Lego Digital Designer" after uninstall. Yes, I've downloaded the latest version o LDD from ldd.lego.com. Yes, when I edited the .ini file it was in "C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\ApplicationData\Lego Company\Lego Digital", and yes i've tried editing

UseShadersInScene=yes/no, UseShadersInPalette=yes/no, and UseRoundEdges=yes/no, and tried adding CompatibilityModeLevel=100.

There are no istances of LDD in the background, and when LDD closes itself, the LDD.EXE process closes itself too(unlike other programs where when they crash the process might still run and you have to close it yourself).

still it doesnt work, and as i said before, it worked fine till 2 days ago.

Very strange. It's almost that you start suspect hardware/memory issues. LDD does use a lot of memory. Maybe it fails as it's loading into memory.

What if you try to install an older version of LDD? Can you try that?

tried installing LDD 4.0.20(the only old setup i still had on pc)and it works fine, but running such an old version and not having the Extended Mode is really nnoying...

i think this problem im having is not specifically about 4.1.8, cuz since 2 days ago i had 4.1.6 installed and fully working, then this problem occurred, and after uninstallation i realized i havent the 4.1.6 setup anymore, so i downloaded the 4.1.8(wich sadly didnt solve the problem).

I've just combined my two older computers because I was tired of the series of issues I was having with my HP POS, and when I tried to install and run LDD, it kept crashing.

The system SHOULDNT have any problems running LDD, due to the fact that the current system is light years better than what I WAS running it on (Pentium 4 2.6 GHz, 2.5 GB of RAM and Windows SP3)... After updating all my drivers and everything, I decided to run the program in offline mode, and it worked!

This is, obviously, not an ideal solution to the problem, but it did work, and as soon as I log in/connect to the internet with my Verizon Wireless broadband doohickey, it crashes again...

So, long story short, what could be causing crashes on startup might NOT be your video settings, but network issues with your internet connection, so try starting it without access to the internet and see if it works in offline mode.

I'm having a similar problem to several people in that my ldd.exe process is starting, but no windows are coming up. I can see the process in the task manager, but nothing else.

I have checked for the latest drivers, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled etc, and still coming up with nothing.

I think I have followed all of the steps in this thread (including modifying the preferences.ini), and still the same thing. I installed on a WinXP virtual machine (in VMware Player), and it is working (although very slow as would be expected).

Below is some info from dxdiag.exe that may assist anyone who knows more than me (this is cut right down, let me know if you need more info):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/2/2012, 12:24:46
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
	Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
	System Model: 4298CTO
	BIOS: Default System BIOS
	Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
	Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM
	Page File: 3012MB used, 13143MB available
	Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
	DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
	Display Tab 1: No problems found.
	Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
	Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
	Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
	Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
	Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DoctorGL also gave me this info:

Video Card Vendor:	Intel
Renderer: 	Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
OpenGL Version: 	3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2538
GLU Version: 	1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

The main thing that may be an issue is I'm running 64-bit windows, but there appear to be plenty of others that can get it to load with out an issue. This is the first time I have tried to install it, so there are no previous installed.

If anyone has any ideas at all that would be very much appreciated - I've spent ages on this and it is driving me nuts! If you need any other info, please also let me know.

Thank you very much!

So, long story short, what could be causing crashes on startup might NOT be your video settings, but network issues with your internet connection, so try starting it without access to the internet and see if it works in offline mode.

it seems you're right, it worked, but as you said, it's not an ideal solution as i constantly navigate(even when using LDD)and download files when im on my pc so i can't turn off the internet connecton everytime i wanna use LDD.

i hope there is a solution which lets an active internet connection...is there a way to force LDD to run in offline mode?

Okay, I can't install LDD 4.

I'm running OS X 10.7.2 on a MacBook Pro.

It seems to install properly, but then when it tries to open an error pops up that says "LDD failed to start." : "??Could not load image descriptions??".

All my hardware and software seems compatible. Anyone know what's going on?

Does your Mac meet all of the minimum criteria listed on this LDD download webpage? Did you read through all of the "Troubleshooting Guide -- LDD Startup and Advanced Graphics Problems" topic?

"Minimum System Requirements for Mac

Operating system: OS X 10.5.8 or higher

CPU: Intel processor

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 5200/ATI Radeon 7500 or better

RAM: 1 GB

Hard disk space: 1 GB"

I had read that a few times and skimmed this topic, but I just realized my graphics card isn't either of those brands. But it's more powerful than the others I've had so I figured it'd work.

Oh well, no more LDD for me.

@ Bfahome: You should try to re-install LDD on January 17, 2012 (when there is going to be an LDD program update). There is a chance that it may work on your computer then.... :look: