Daedalus304

MOC: Split-Engine "Sparrow"

What happens when you get a crazy concept idea? MOCs happen, that's what! I got a crazy idea that I really am not sure how to explain any way other than showing you the MOC I built as a result! You can click on any picture to see a larger version. I'm sorry about the distracting background/odd lighting in some of them, I had a hard time finding a good place to photograph it.

New pictures have been added!

Click here to see the whole batch on Brickshelf!

img_0315rs.jpg

As you can probably see, the engine system makes up most of the body. There are two inlets (With turbofans inside), which led to the "bent" engines running down the center of the craft. Then they meet together at the end, where they fuse together and share an afterburner! :wacko:

img_0318rs.jpg

In this shot it almost looks like there are gaps between the body and the engine, but there is a black layer of SNOT in there helping hold the engines up and in place. The engines and afterburner ended up being fairly heavy, but it was hard finding a way to secure them because of the odd angles.

img_0323rs.jpg

Just thought I'd take a picture with a closer view of the engines.

img_0321rs.jpg

I always love designing cockpits, so I made sure to throw in a bunch of fiddly bits. I didn't really get a good picture of the seat, and in fact there are a lot of views and shots that I've missed. I'm going to get some more tomorrow when I have light to work with.

There are a couple more pictures here on my Brickshelf (when moderated), and I will be uploading more later as stated above. There were a lot of tricky connections involved in this model so if anyone wants to know how I did anything, I'd be more than willing to get pictures of specific inner workings.

img_0340rs.jpg

I've added on some landing gear, finally. It's not retractable, unfortunately, but I think it at least looks pretty neat. The rear tire is on a swivel so it can turn, as well.

img_0353rs.jpg

LXF Added

Download the LXF!

I originally designed this model in Lego Digital Designer, then built it with physical bricks. I had to make a few adjustments in the physical model because of parts I didn't have or structures working out slightly different (Weight issue with the engine and tail mainly), but I should be able to update the LXF file to match this (Done).

I know a lot of fellow AFOL don't like mixing old and new grays together, but I think there are cases where it's pretty nifty. I didn't manage to sneak as much old grey into this model as I would have liked, but there is some. I had originally been planning to theme the colours as if it had been built out of a variety of scrap metal and broken aircraft (Sort of a junky mad scientist style), but part colour limitations sort of scrapped that!

Anyways, questions, comments,pic requests, critiques, and anything else you have to say is all welcome! :laugh: Sorry about the lack of pictures, I'll hopefully get that fixed in short order.

Edited by Daedalus304

Very interesting aircraft design Daedalus, the "bent" engines are quite a unique concept. It's always nice to see some unorthodox building styles every once in a while, so great job there! default_thumbup.gif

Oh, wow! This is really a great plane you build there, Daedalus304. The overall design reminds me a lot of the Lockheed P-38 while beeing quite different at the same time. And I agree with KielDaMan that the bent engines are really something special. Very well done. :thumbup:

This looks great. I really like the bent engines. I also like how you made the front part were a propeller would go.

Great job :thumbup:

Hello!

A really unusual concept but it works out fine here! You surrounded the cockpit excellently with the engine fuselage. The use of many wedge shaped elemements give it a smooth curved look. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I agree with the others - great design, great "wrap around" engines, everything from the nose to the back of the engines, including the wing design... the only thing that bothers me about it is that the tail looks on level with the exhaust, and I think that would rip the tail apart.

I think it looks like an Aeroplane from second World War , but that is the reason why i like it :thumbup: .

Edited by Stephen25

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm sorry I haven't yet got the other pictures up, I took them but haven't had time to upload them. I will definitely do so later today, I have some free time.

Part of my sort of "Theme" for building the plane was to have an older aircraft sort of feel to the design, despite the engines, so I'm happy to see that it reminds people of the P-38 and other such craft.

I agree with the others - great design, great "wrap around" engines, everything from the nose to the back of the engines, including the wing design... the only thing that bothers me about it is that the tail looks on level with the exhaust, and I think that would rip the tail apart.

Thank you for the kind words. The tail actually was a mixture of a lot of things for me, design wise. There was the design style I wanted, and trying to find a good way to put a tail on the plane's somewhat uncouth rear. I did try and elevate it a bit so the tail sits around the top of the engine, but not quite over it. The stresses and heat issues with that part of the design are definitely the biggest issues with it for sure, what with the engine there, but I like to pretend that the tail works like the tail of the A-10 Thunderbolt II, and helps lower the plane's heat signature a bit. A lot of problems with that I'm sure, but that's why it's pretend. :tongue:

This is cool, but could use just a little work. The body itself is lovely, the engines are a cool shape and design and the bulk is wonderful. The only issue is that the wings appear flimsy and un-interesting in comparison.

I've added the LXF file to the first post!

This is cool, but could use just a little work. The body itself is lovely, the engines are a cool shape and design and the bulk is wonderful. The only issue is that the wings appear flimsy and un-interesting in comparison.

Well, the forward wings I'm pretty happy with. I usually struggle getting them a shape that I can live with - let alone like. I'm not too sure what I could to to make them better, unless I weaponize them. If you have any suggestions about what I could do to make them more interesting I'd love to hear them!

And as for the rear wings/tail, I agree that there's most likely less flimsy designs. I sort of touched on it earlier, but they had a bit of compromise to them since I was having a hard time finding ways to attach them. I may revisit it in the future (I would love to try and fit these engines onto a delta winged craft :wub: ). I hope I'm not coming across the wrong way, I'm very glad to have heard your thoughts. :classic: I just am not quite sure how to change these few things for the better!

I really like your engine design. How they form together to almost make one giant thruster. Really cool design. :thumbup:

This is fantastic. Is there an .lxf of this? I like poking around with things like this up close. =3

This is fantastic. Is there an .lxf of this? I like poking around with things like this up close. =3

Yes there is! There are a couple parts that couldn't be placed, but they are right by their proper spots. The link to the LXF is under the final picture in the first post (With a bold banner), but I'll post it here for you just for easiness' sake. :classic:

Here you are!

I'm glad you like it!