antp

Lego and cats

My cat would find and pick up a small piece of Lego in his mouth in the middle of the night. He would then meow all night with it in his mouth outside my bedroom.

When a cat does this, it is basically the cat bringing you what it has 'killed.' Be thankful it is a LEGO and not a mouse. The cat is showing you what a good hunter (s)he is, that (s)he likes and respects you, and that (s)he is willing to share food with you. One of my cats used to steal baby socks and small baby toys and bring them to me like this, but never LEGO.

While my cats haven't taken to carrying LEGO around or hunting it like this, they do like to sit on road plates and walk through my kids' LEGO City.

Make longer cats with Lego:

*snip*

Great picture! So lovely... :wub:

You know, I'd very much like to have a cat myself, they're my favourite animals but unfortunatly, my brother's allergic.

Here's Alpo:

*snip*

That orange fur ball is really cute! I can totally imagine you having great fun in the evenings building "with him" and simply being happy! :classic:

When a cat does this, it is basically the cat bringing you what it has 'killed.' Be thankful it is a LEGO and not a mouse. The cat is showing you what a good hunter (s)he is, that (s)he likes and respects you, and that (s)he is willing to share food with you. One of my cats used to steal baby socks and small baby toys and bring them to me like this, but never LEGO.

While my cats haven't taken to carrying LEGO around or hunting it like this, they do like to sit on road plates and walk through my kids' LEGO City.

I wish my current cats would hunt mouse. We had a mice problem in the house a couple of years ago and the cats didn't know what to do with them. They cornered one in the bathroom and let it go. My previous cat would have had ate it and she wasn't the sharing type of gal. Can't win. :classic:

I have had cats and LEGO for almost all of my life.

There have been both some funny and some less funny experiences when the two meet each other. I have seen cats attack random bricks scattered across the floor. I have seen how my cats try to crawl into a LEGO box. It has happened that my cat has taken a nap on a pile of LEGO I had gathered in a box. Unfortunately I have also experienced that my cat has chewed on some LEGO pieces, more specifically it chewed on some mast parts and string. Even worse, my cats have used a box full of LEGO pieces as a litter box :sick: .

Playing again with another Lego box:

That video is so f***ing cute! I've also watched the sequel or prequel (don't remember) and can only say: keep 'em going! :sweet:

I have two cats as well, brothers. "My" cat Smoky, follows me like a dog :laugh: , loves my Lego Room. He has a few spots in there where he curls up in a ball surrounded by cars or boats if he's in the harbor. Rocky just likes to sit in the middle of the closet and look around. I like to keep them out most of the time when I'm working in there due to dander. Invested in one of those Sharper Image Ionic Breezes. It actually does pull a lot of dirt outa the air, but since it charges the air it leaves the smell of electricity, imagine a the smell after a lightning storm, but without moisture in the air.

Found my missing cat, Penny Kittie, yesterday. She had been missing since October. It seems she accidentally fell in the private pool near our house. I think she passed from hypothermia rather than drowning. May she rest in peace :cry_sad:

R.I.P.

Penny Kittie

2006-Oct. 17,2010

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

I have two cats as well, brothers. "My" cat Smoky, follows me like a dog :laugh: , loves my Lego Room. He has a few spots in there where he curls up in a ball surrounded by cars or boats if he's in the harbor. Rocky just likes to sit in the middle of the closet and look around. I like to keep them out most of the time when I'm working in there due to dander. Invested in one of those Sharper Image Ionic Breezes. It actually does pull a lot of dirt outa the air, but since it charges the air it leaves the smell of electricity, imagine a the smell after a lightning storm, but without moisture in the air.

You mean smell of ozone?

I dig up my old topic, I hope it is not a problem.

I just made a video of Maersk train + Horizon Express running on 12V track, and it ended up as a cat-video as one of my two cars seemed very interested:

Haha! The best part was the first shot. Cat's just sitting on the track minding it's own business...BAM! train. But, a disclaimer to people who really want to buy 2 10233 Horizon Express, but are trying to resist the temptation: DO NOT watch the whole video! It will only make it necessary to do so. And buy PF to motorized it. :wink:

Edit: cute kitties.

Edited by Legocrazy81

It seemed an obvious fact to me: this set cannot be bought alone, you need at least two :D

My cat doesn't care to play/sit/chew/etc with my LEGO. What she does like is the plastic baggies from the set because of the crinkly sounds they make, that and poking her head into the empty boxes.

My cat is very odd, She likes to steal lego minifigures heads and roll them around the tiled floor. And pick them up in her mouth then watch them bounce along the floor.

As I type this my cat is fast asleep on my knee, she tends to jump up on the table when I'm building lego sets and she tends to rub her head on my new sets, she even lies on top of my instructions when I'm building sets, I think she does that on purpose so I play with her instead of my lego. :classic:

My cats are interested in the lego minifigures not the sets. When there is a minifigure in the built set, they like to detach the minifigure out of the set and throw it on the floor. They like to jump on my book shelf and whack the minifigures off the shelf they are standing on. When you put a minifigure on a jar in the kitchen, they like to knock it off the jar by hugging the jar down or whacking it off with their tail or paw.

My older cat is usually more interested in the box than the bricks, but my younger kitty is currently terrorizing my Winter Village set-up and just the other day I found a cow, two mini-figures and a lamp post in my slipper...

One of my cats is interested in one particular ninja. I can leave all the Lego on the table I want and he'll leave it alone, but if that specific ninja is out, he will go through the rest of the Lego to find that one ninja, surgically pluck him out (even surrounding him with other ninja bodyguards in the center of the table doesn't work!) and then knock just that ninja off the table and bat it around the room.

The other cat however, is far meaner. He's only interacted with my Lego once, and it was to knock the tree from my brand new just built MMV onto the floor to chew up one of the nice dark green leaves.

Any bricks lying alone on the floor must be pawed and sniffed.

Funny when there is a load of bricks on my desk their not interested.

However when I get the white paper out when photographing my builds, its an invitation for them as this pic shows;

6881038008_9151a26328.jpg

As for the cat in the box video, it is an all too familiar scene in my flat!

I have a seven year old British Long Hair and he really likes boxes.

I have several sets I have yet to make up and have to keep them out of his reach otherwise he will try and open them, the little bugger.

He has never shown any interest in actual bricks and he knows he is not allowed on my desk where I build my models. His fluff however does not know it is not allowed on my desk and even in winter he sheds enough fluff each day to create a life sized model of himself!!

Boxes are certainly his thing, he has even tried to open orders that the delivery guy has just dropped off.

He has shown some interest in chasing the trains but only if he is sat on the track and they run into him. Why does he have to sit on the track when he has the whole house to sit anywhere else?

Today i am not in his good book as he came in from outside with his paws covered in Oil and had to have a wash, he knew that was going to happen, he waited outside until he thought I had left the room before coming in. It is surprising how strong a fully adult Tom cat can be, especially a huge one like him, I have trouble holding onto him with one hand and washing his paws with the other. Today he twisted around and I lost my grip on him, he slipped on the bottom of the bath though and got drenched, now he thinks it was my fault.

When I was a kid we had a rabbit called Rudy. He used to go around my LEGO and pull up the old blue railway track that I had in the 4.5V days. He was in the house a lot of the time and he would take it and hide in behind the chairs. If I was not careful or not paying attention he would stash a huge amount of it there, I would literally come home and find whole circuits of track with just the white 2X8 plates left and all the blue track hidden behind the chairs.

I dig up my old topic, I hope it is not a problem.

Not a problem if you post videos like that. :wub:

I have two cats myself. One is older and pretty calm/lazy that never had an interest in my Lego pieces, but my year-old energetic (and fat!) cat steals anything he can get his paws on. If I leave pieces on the floor unattended some will go missing for sure. He even jumped up on a shelf with Lego displayed once, which is a big leap for such a fat cat. :laugh: He also likes to steal other things, like remote controls and food off the table ( :hmpf:). I've never had a problem with the cats chewing or swallowing pieces, and I get them back eventually. Usually they're only the smallest parts, too.

My cats normally aren't a problem when it comes to LEGO, I trained them early on that they were off-limits. However, if I've got a model on the table from photography and leave it there overnight, sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and find that they got mad at each other and chased around the house all night. The evidence is usually a completely destroyed model mess of bricks scattered all across the floor, with a pair of very friendly cats sitting nearby with a look of supreme innocence on their faces. :tongue:

Ha, funny cat videos. My cat also like to get into the video when I'm recording my MOCs.

Nice :D It is indeed difficult to make a photo or a video of something (either on the ground or on a table) without having the cats checking what happens.

For example when making this pic : http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=5482861 the cat came there after I started laying the rails... and left when I finished taking pictures.

Edited by antp

Sorry to bump but my cat has taken to sittion inside my broken filing cabinet where I store my instruction manuals. I took a couple of quick photos. They are not that great. And she killed my custom scarecrow while getting up :cry_sad: (Was sitting on the Hogwarts cards table before he died)

8571781965_e70b142b5f_c.jpg

004 by Joker 789, on Flickr

8571782145_50830f1947_c.jpg

002 by Joker 789, on Flickr

8572876124_922a122651_c.jpg

001 by Joker 789, on Flickr

My cat has been the death of almost every MOC I build.... I really miss this really tall house I made almost entirly out of parts from one day of PaB..