GRogall

LEGO NASA Sets 2011

Another two images from collectSPACE:

Hi, I'm the editor of collectSPACE and author of the recent article about the LEGO and NASA partnership. I'm glad to see our photos have been of interest.

With regards to the "another two images," those were from earlier LEGO stories we posted and are unrelated to this new NASA partnership.

The space shuttle flying on STS-133, space shuttle Discovery's final flight, has been correctly pointed out as the shuttle depicted at the top of our article: LEGO space shuttle launching on NASA's 'flying brick' Discovery.

The larger space shuttle, which will be built aboard the International Space Station after being delivered there by STS-134, space shuttle Endeavour's final mission, can be seen here: NASA and LEGO partnership: Bricks in space (scroll down and click on the image to enlarge).

Also at that page is a larger image of the new International Space Station set, which will also launch with Endeavour next year.

According to LEGO and NASA, the space shuttle and space station flying on STS-134 will become part of the LEGO City line.

There are other new sets planned, including a "Satellites" set and exclusive to NASA sets -- not to be sold to the public -- that create interior scenes to the International Space Station.

Unlike the 2003 Discovery series of NASA-theme sets, these new NASA partnership LEGO sets will not include minifigures with the NASA logo, but NASA-provided educational information will be included with each set sold to the public.

I hope that helps clarify what is flying. We have a few more articles/features planned about the LEGO and NASA partnership, which we'll be publishing over the next few weeks and months.

--

Robert Pearlman, Editor

collectSPACE - The Source for Space History & Artifacts

http://www.collectspace.com/

Thanks for all those insights! Even if the NASA-exclusive sets will not be sold to the public, I hope pics eventually show up online so that we LEGO fans can appreciate them!

Thanks for the new links, with the Hi Res ISS I have almost wet my pants :P

If NASA is saying it is going to be a part of the line, then it probably will be.

Let me digest the new image for a bit and I will post some commentary

:oh: Look at all those trans pieces on the ISS!!! I like how they used the 1x8 (?) tiles in a pattern to create a solar panel effect :thumbup:

So, some information from the new picture.

Size without the Soyuz/Progress 39x84 Studs +-5 Studs. Part count probably isn't as big as one would expect. Probably less than 800.

Modules use 4x2x6 Half Cylinder (Cylinder is 4x4x6 all up). This means that most modules should fit in the Shuttle Adventure with some modifications to the cargo bay (Removal of the Grey 2x4 mainly).

The Russian segment is accurate although one Soyuz/Progress is missing. The US section seems to be missing the PMM (Going up on STS-133) and the Quest Airdock. Both these should be easy to add if required, although it might require some shuffling.

The Solar panels look good, and can rotate. The radiators are marginal, in real life they are Dk Stone Grey...

The inclusion of solar panels on some of the Russian modules is also a nice touch.

And finally, I wonder if it is balanced on the Truss. It would be a good place to hang it from.

Anyone know where on the ISS model the Cupola window is located or can see what parts TLG have chosen to use for it?

:cry_sad: i really hope that the "exclusives" will eventually show up for sale online like the vestas wind turbine.

But as many of you may know the vestas wind turbine is worth a lot of money now, so the nasa line may be very expensive for non nasa employees and children on the nasa summer camps. so i hope ne of us has a job that may give them one of the sets, and if so please feel free to post pics!

Keep dreaming of the sets! :sweet:

-Fuzzylegobricks

Anyone know where on the ISS model the Cupola window is located or can see what parts TLG have chosen to use for it?

Yes, It is above and to the right of the bottom most Soyuz. Looks like 2x2 Round Tile with a printed grill

I will link to the High Res pictures here!

Thanks to CollectSPACE for the info and new pictures!

http://www.collectspace.com/review/legospace_shuttle01-lg.jpg

http://www.collectspace.com/review/legospace_shuttle02-lg.jpg

Edit by Hinckley: changed to links, but here are the pics resized. Download high-res with grogall's links above...

shuttle.jpg

space_station.jpg

Great to se some co-op between toys and science!

Edited by Hinckley
Pictures too large for slower browsers, converted to links

*snip*

*snip*

So many trans light blue 1 by eight tiles :cry_happy:

So many trans light blue 1 by eight tiles :cry_happy:

260-odd... good for tranquil water scenes...

Hi, I'm the editor of collectSPACE and author of the recent article about the LEGO and NASA partnership. I'm glad to see our photos have been of interest.

--

Robert Pearlman, Editor

Thank you Robert! :wub:

Grogall, our forum rules are to post pictures no bigger than 800 x 600. Thanks :sweet:

I wonder why release another Space Shuttle set when there's 10213 Shuttle Adventure?

The two different price points and skill levels probably aim them to different demographics.

The ISS really looks amazing! Are those the NASA sets that won't be made available to the public?

It sounds like it will be available to the public. Robert refers to "sets that create the interior of the ISS" that will only be available to NASA...

The two different price points and skill levels probably aim them to different demographics.

Not to mention 10213 Shuttle Adventure seems to be more of a tribute of sorts to the shuttle program, as it's ending soon.

The (possibly) final shuttle looks really nice. Was it still rumoured to be 20€? Now that would be nice.

The shuttle with the new nose piece looks even worse, but the buggy is nice. It was rumored to be $40, so it most likely will be 30pounds.

I find it odd that the City NASA sets will not have minifigures, why doesn't LEGO just make a NASA line?

I find it odd that the City NASA sets will not have minifigures, why doesn't LEGO just make a NASA line?

It doesn't say they won't have minifigures, just that they won't have minifigures with the NASA logo. Judging by the picture of the shuttle, there'll still be figs but the classic space logo will be used as a more generic 'space' identifier than NASA.

It doesn't say they won't have minifigures, just that they won't have minifigures with the NASA logo. Judging by the picture of the shuttle, there'll still be figs but the classic space logo will be used as a more generic 'space' identifier than NASA.

Oh I misread that. Still odd that they brought it up being that only one set, the lunar lander, even had minifigures in 2003 sets.

Still odd that they brought it up being that only one set, the lunar lander, even had minifigures in 2003 sets.

Apologies for the confusion; I had raised the question with LEGO and NASA about the minifigures as it applied to how the sets would be co-branded. NASA's logo will appear within the included educational information (even a poster to be included with one of the sets) but not on the toys themselves.

--

Robert Pearlman, Editor