Superkalle

Interview with LDD Development Mgr

Hello fellow LDD users!

Not to long ago I got a fantastic opportunity to make an interview with the LDD development Manager Claus Matthiesen, and naturally I jumped to the occasion. It resulted in a nice talk about the new LDD 4 and it's features, but also gave a glimpse into the future of LDD and the thoughts that lay behind the development of Lego Digital Designer.

So without further a due, I present to you the EB LDD forum exclusive LDD Interview. Download the PDF below and be sure to give your comments here in this thread :classic:

If you are not logged into EB, use this link to download the PDF.

If you are logged on - click below, it's faster

Interview - LDD 4 Final.pdf

By reading the interview I feel very optimistic about future of LDD.

It seems that in time we will have better and better software.

I am also glad that they listen for our wishes and that there is a will for optimising.

Top-notch article Superkalle! One thing I found interesting though was this:

Our goal is to make LDD run on computers that are not state-of-the-art, so we spend a lot of time trying to find algorithms to reduce the stress on the computers 3D system.

Even though my computer is pretty fast, for some reason it cannot support the new graphics, which kinda contradicts this statement :sceptic:

Even though I'm logged in whenever I click the link for the pdf I get this message "[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment."

Even though I'm logged in whenever I click the link for the pdf I get this message "[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment."

Try again now. I'm also going to fix so you can download without being logged on.

great interview, good questions, you seemed quite prepared. :thumbup:

I hope they will follow a new trend and release more smaller updates instead of letting us wait for a new version.

They gave some hope that it may happen that way.

Edited by Jan

So we can now look forward to more bricks, more features, and at least two more major versions of LDD. :sweet: Superkalle, did you get the chance to ask why there are so many licensed parts in LU? I'm happy to have them, but I can't imagine they'll be in LEGO Universe. (the game)

Top-notch article Superkalle! One thing I found interesting though was this:

Even though my computer is pretty fast, for some reason it cannot support the new graphics, which kinda contradicts this statement :sceptic:

Since when does stating a goal equate to claiming that goal has been reached? Honestly, sometimes people act as though LEGO has a godlike command of their products and software, and thus that LEGO intends problems to occur or knowingly tolerates them. It doesn't work like that-- things can and do go wrong, hence why there's a customer service department in the first place.

My computer doesn't support all the new graphic options as well. That's almost certainly the reason they're optional. If LEGO does reach that intended goal, then you can bet the optimum capabilities will be available by default.

Anyway, this was a good read. I hope that a future patch makes the flex tool more versatile-- I'm all for more parts being able to flex, but if I can't get them to properly attach to things at both ends then the tool's still pretty useless from a design perspective.

but if I can't get them to properly attach to things at both ends then the tool's still pretty useless from a design perspective.

What do you mean. Not sure I follow.

Superkalle, did you get the chance to ask why there are so many licensed parts in LU? I'm happy to have them, but I can't imagine they'll be in LEGO Universe. (the game)

No, sorry. Everything I asked is in the interview.

great interview, good questions, you seemed quite prepared. :thumbup:

Thanks. Actually I drew a lot of question from everything that has been said here in the forum the past 6 months.

Try again now. I'm also going to fix so you can download without being logged on.

works now, thanks

Thanks Superkalle!

That was a very interesting interview and good read. And it also has answered the question I still had about the building guide. Thanks again! :laugh:

I've used to work on MlCad but after reading this topic I've decided to install LLD4 on my Mac...

but, after 3 or 4 installations and few patch, it still impossible to connect LDD to internet.

So I can draw but can't access to "Buy" and more !

"LLD is Off Line"

:(

is there anyone who could help me ?

I've used to work on MlCad but after reading this topic I've decided to install LLD4 on my Mac...

but, after 3 or 4 installations and few patch, it still impossible to connect LDD to internet.

So I can draw but can't access to "Buy" and more !

"LLD is Off Line"

:(

Don't think it's LDD's problem, there've been reports of LDD unable to access the 'Net on larger networks. Where are you running it? I've got a MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz CPU and 4 gb of RAM, Internet via my home network which has an AirPort Express router; works fine for me.

Interesting interview - thanks, Superkalle !

I'm not a frequent user of LDD, but can certainly see an improvement in the graphics, and I love the ability to show brick outlines !

Incidentally, I'm a bit confused when LDD opens up and I need to select between Design By Me, Mindstorms and Creator. Other than the availability of different pre-made models to import, does selecting Creator, DbM etc. influence anything else, e.g. choice of available bricks etc.

It's also somewhat ironic that the 'baseplate' icon in the brick select pane shows a 'T' junction but despite this it doesn't appear to be possible to select road plates from this menu !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

Where's the flex tool image from? That's the short version of the chain, right? I know I don't have that in LDD...

Oh, crap. I should have known there would be something that slipped. :laugh:

No, but serioudly, I got the pic from TLG and I didn't think about it. Let's keep this to ourselves (I'm sure no-one else will read this post, he, he)

Well, this is probably because you are behind a proxy. I have the same problem when I try to run LDD at work.

Don't think it's LDD's problem, there've been reports of LDD unable to access the 'Net on larger networks. Where are you running it? I've got a MacBook Pro with a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz CPU and 4 gb of RAM, Internet via my home network which has an AirPort Express router; works fine for me.

txx for your help !

I'm running it at home with my wifi connection .

I've download LDD4 on Lego Site, and when I Launch it ask me if I want to continue because LDD is offlinde.

I look in parameters but nothing on web access...

I don't understand...

I do not use a proxy, it's my home internet connexion.... :(

LDD at work ? :laugh: take care !

Edited by lego-maniac

Incidentally, I'm a bit confused when LDD opens up and I need to select between Design By Me, Mindstorms and Creator. Other than the availability of different pre-made models to import, does selecting Creator, DbM etc. influence anything else, e.g. choice of available bricks etc.

The different modes offers the bricks that are in those modes. DbM offers only the brick that are available to purchase in the Pick-A-Brick. Creator offers the bricks that are in the creator sets etc. There might be some overlap between them, so that some brick that are in DbM are not in Creator and vice versa. Naturally the unofficial Universe Mode offers all bricks :classic:

Thanks Superkalle for doing that interview! Its really good to see that you took the time and connected (pardon the pun) with the development team to give more insight into the future of LDD. :thumbup:

P.S. Need a mirror function to create an inverted copy of selected bricks :tongue:

Just read the interview and found it very interesting, and having played with LDD4 for several hours last night, I'm glad they added the brick outline facility.

Regarding old bricks, I would love them to add the bow and stern sections for the old pirate ships, as the mid section and other pieces are there in LU mode. I could then prototype ship designs before building them for real. Another thing would be for flexible backpacks to close up so that you can actually use them on minifigs, unless there's a technique I haven't discovered yet :blush:. I would also like more decorations for bricks, especially minifigs as I tried to make a redcoat soldier last night and couldn't find the torso decoration.

Another useful thing would be for a preference setting that allows the user to start LDD in freebuild mode in the theme of their choice by default, as it seems to take a while to load up the thumbnails of my previous models on the themes splash panel at startup.

All in all I like LDD4, and will continue to use it as my main cad tool, and only resort to MLCAD when the bricks aren't available, or I want to do a photo realistic render in Kerkythea.

Thanks once again for posting the interview.

Kaitain

Nic einterview. I always find it interesting to have a look behint the scene of things and how they're developed. Thanks

So we can now look forward to more bricks, more features, and at least two more major versions of LDD. :sweet: Superkalle, did you get the chance to ask why there are so many licensed parts in LU? I'm happy to have them, but I can't imagine they'll be in LEGO Universe. (the game)

I think it's got something to do with the BrickKit tool some designers use. as he said, when one of them requests a specific part, it's done and included in BrickKit and then added to the LU mode in LDD...

Although there are a few old licensed parts too, like the HP troll, which wouldn't quite fit that explanation...

Very cool interview Superkalle. Did you have the chance to do this interview the last time you were in Billund ? It was really cool to run into you there, quite unexpected.

Very cool interview Superkalle. Did you have the chance to do this interview the last time you were in Billund ? It was really cool to run into you there, quite unexpected.

Yepp, it was there. And yeah, it was a pleasant surprise to see you in the store :classic:

I had prepared most questions, a lot of them inspired from the discussions here at the forum actually. Claus and I had some e-mail contact before. Then I finished off the interview when I was there.

I downloaded LDD4 off of Lego.com and every time I open LDD it loads and then quits by it self.

I unloaded it then downloaded again and it still has the same problem.

I don't know what I did wrong when downloading it???

I downloaded LDD4 off of Lego.com and every time I open LDD it loads and then quits by it self.

I unloaded it then downloaded again and it still has the same problem.

I don't know what I did wrong when downloading it???

Your PC specs? hardware, OS, etc...

Edited by Zblj