Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

I just built Drilldozer today, and I noticed a few bugs with the Hero Factory joint system.

2192 - Drilldozer - Theme: Hero Factory

ldd_drilldozer.png

LXF File

As far as I know, there are no errors in this model, other than that the lava sphere should be marbled red/flame yellowish orange. I should point out that LDD's hinge controls are much improved--I can bend the drill arm up and down, and the support mechanism (which was quite hard to connect) in the back moves with it! :grin:

Unfortunately, the Hinge Align tool doesn't seem to work for the new Hero Factory joint system yet, and if I try to enter a degree value using my keyboard for some joints, it rejects my value and picks a random one near my value, even if my value falls within a valid range of angles.

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT: I should also point out that when rotating certain Hero Factory joints, the angles aren't the usual 18-degree increments, and sometimes other axes are rotated while one axis is rotated.

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

Another day, another bug. I can't complete step 25 of the 8070 Custom Chopper because part 32526 runs into part 64394. However, I can place part 32316 there, so at least I have a temporary workaround...I think. :sceptic:

8070_cc_bug_01.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Another day, another bug. I can't complete step 25 of the 8070 Custom Chopper because part 32526 runs into part 64394. However, I can place part 32316 there, so at least I have a temporary workaround...I think. :sceptic:

8070_cc_bug_01.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Good spotting. Defintely a case of collision volumes not being properly modelled in LDD.

4070_error.jpg

A 3.2 mm bar of any kind (in this case, part 48729) cannot fit into the bottom cavity of the headlight brick (4070) as is needed to build the toilet from set 10218 Pet Shop.

Transparent colors don't look good when rendered in screenshots generated by LDD using Ctrl+K. However, using the "Prt Scrn" key yields better results. It might be just a contrast issue (gray background vs. white background), but I still think there's room for improvement graphics-wise.

Here is the LXF file I borrowed a part from to generate the screenshots (I am refraining from posting the pictures directly because if I try to resize them for posting, their transparency would be messed up).

-Toa Of Justice

Part #6043 (TUBE 2x2x3 1/3 ANGLE) seems to be modeled incorrectly. The connection area on the corner end is lacking slots. This keeps it for attaching via studs like it should be able to.

lddscreenshot3.png6043.1069851928.jpg

Part #6043 (TUBE 2x2x3 1/3 ANGLE) seems to be modeled incorrectly. The connection area on the corner end is lacking slots. This keeps it for attaching via studs like it should be able to.

Good find. :thumbup:

And looking at the slots at the bottom, they doesn't seemt to be correctly modeled in LDD (too narrow).

[image]

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

I noticed last year that you have to be more careful with technic connections than standard ones, as they are more apt to be misaligned when joined. Sometimes it's just a matter of going back and finding that one of your connector pins is off a little and throwing the rest of your build off.

I was trying to use the Atlantis visor a second time as Iron Man's faceplate, but could not because it no longer connects to any helmet. (I had to use Boba Fett's helmet instead, which actually worked out pretty okay... )

Not sure if this is a bug but I was trying to reproduce the tower as seen here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/92430

Track #57518, 3/4 pins #4274, and 7L lift arm #32524 will not go together. I can use 3/4 pin on the track but the arm will not fit. I can use the 3/4 pin on the arm, they will not go on the track. Eyeballing it, it looks like legal but may be broken due to touchy collision?

Not sure if this is a bug but I was trying to reproduce the tower as seen here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/92430

Track #57518, 3/4 pins #4274, and 7L lift arm #32524 will not go together. I can use 3/4 pin on the track but the arm will not fit. I can use the 3/4 pin on the arm, they will not go on the track. Eyeballing it, it looks like legal but may be broken due to touchy collision?

Can you post an LXF and possibly some screenshots?

(Cool technique used on that tower :classic:)

Can you post an LXF and possibly some screenshots?

(Cool technique used on that tower :classic:)

File: download

broken_tower_1.png

broken_tower_2.png

As seen in the SS, when I move over the treadmill, it does "align" to the holes but won't go in it at all.

As seen in the SS, when I move over the treadmill, it does "align" to the holes but won't go in it at all.

If you use the 1 1/12 pin (part #32002) rather than the pin with stud you're using it does work. I'm not sure if the original is a legal connection or not, but using part 32002 probably gives a better connection anyway.

It does seem like the studed pin will not connect "stud down", so that is a "bug" in LDD (but trying that connection with physcial bricks I notice the fit is extremely tight - more so then with ordinary technic holes).

However, it connects fine in LDD with "stud up" and then you can connect the Technics beam that way (would that solve your problem?)

Strangely though, the pins can be placed illegally in LDD as shown by the white pins.

post-4755-13056110167.jpg

It does seem like the studed pin will not connect "stud down", so that is a "bug" in LDD (but trying that connection with physcial bricks I notice the fit is extremely tight - more so then with ordinary technic holes).

However, it connects fine in LDD with "stud up" and then you can connect the Technics beam that way (would that solve your problem?)

That works. I thought it was odd that what worked with real thing wouldn't work in LDD

Strangely though, the pins can be placed illegally in LDD as shown by the white pins.

That one should be reported to LEGO.

I am currently in the middle of another LDD project (oddly enough, it's for one of my college classes), and I discovered a serious bug with the trapdoor (30042) and the trapdoor frame (92107)--they cannot fit together, even if I use a 2x2 tile as a scaffold!

trap_door_error.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

I am currently in the middle of another LDD project (oddly enough, it's for one of my college classes), and I discovered a serious bug with the trapdoor (30042) and the trapdoor frame (92107)--they cannot fit together, even if I use a 2x2 tile as a scaffold!

There are two versions of the trapdoor combo, the #30042 trapdoor goes with #30041 frame, the #92099 trapdoor goes with frame #92107.

Not sure if this is where it goes but:

How do I move the wire on a power Functions motor? (is it flexible ?)

(is there an official LDD Q/A topic btw? )

Edited by Macoco

How do I move the wire on a power Functions motor? (is it flexible ?)

No, the Power Functions electrical cables are not "flexible" in LDD like they are in the real world. Each end of the cables are part of the motor or plug, and cannot be independently bent. The two ends of the motor cable are independent shapes, so they can be rotated independently.

Edited by DLuders

There are two versions of the trapdoor combo, the #30042 trapdoor goes with #30041 frame, the #92099 trapdoor goes with frame #92107.

Ah, I understand now. Thank you very much for pointing that out. :classic:

-Toa Of Justice

Superkalle, can you please tell the developers that the weird rotation thing is getting very annoying...

If you're looking at a birds eye view, it isn't even possible to rotate on the horizontal plane.

Edited by prateek

Superkalle, can you please tell the developers that the weird rotation thing is getting very annoying...

If you're looking at a birds eye view, it isn't even possible to rotate on the horizontal plane.

So it wasn't just me? I didn't remember this in LDD 3. When I rotate a brick while the POV is at default or lower (closer to baseplate), using left and right arrow key rotate the brick as expected while keeping the stud side up. But when I'm looking at higher POV (overhead for example), using the left or right arrow key doesn't rotate the brick the same way and my brick ends up on its side. This forced me to undo the flip, change the POV to rotate properly, then back overhead for hard to reach placement.

Oh, is that why rotation has been acting so weird? I use 'a' and 'w' for rotating, and I have been very annoyed by this behaviour for a while now. Pretty please, bring back the old way...

Oh, I have told them - belive me. Apperently it is supposed to work so that the rotation is always the same on regarding how the brick is viewed.

Personally it's driving me nuts - specially since you can't tell at which angle it changes behavior :sceptic:

I don't know what the best method is to bring back the old method. I guess making a petition here in the forum could be a good way. If so creating a separate topic is probably the best, and it shouldn't be started by me because they allready know what I think. Or just calling LEGO customer support filing a complaint could perhaps work too?

Personally it's driving me nuts - specially since you can't tell at which angle it changes behavior :sceptic:

Agreed. The new way is the same way Bricksmith does it, and the old way was one of the major reasons for me that LDD was so much easier to use than Bricksmith.

Though maybe newcomers to LDD find this easier, and it's just us that have been using it long enough to expect a certain thing to happen when a certain key is pressed no matter what the perspective is that are having a hard time.