Sign in to follow this  
alexGS

My proposed 12V train layout

Hello all,

I've been busy with Track Designer (and eBay: buying more track!), and this is what I've come up with.

proposed12vlayout7qn.th.jpg

The only current problem is that I've just realised that the 'table' I was going to use (two large doors) is only 2m x 1.8m, so the layout won't fit :-D

One main criteria was that I wanted no dead-ends - I wanted it to be possible for a train to run uninterrupted and traverse the whole layout. I started with an 'endless loop' (a loop that went out through the crossings and re-joined itself in three increasing circles) but it became a little complicated by the need to include sidings. Which means that now, a train cannot traverse the whole layout at once - ah well...

I am fortunate enough to have four trains (with a fifth on the way) so there should also be good potential for collisions ;-)

Does anyone have similar layouts to share? Is there anywhere to find .tdl files on the 'net?

Thanks for looking!

-Alex

Looks like a neat layout Alex. Most of the layouts that I've seen are contained/included in Track Designer. The Lego Train Depot is a good train site that provides some 9V layouts.

I had an interesting situation a few years ago when I wanted to build a layout on a table next to a file cabinet, then have it loop around my computer (desk) and return. I had the hardest time trying to get the layout to connect (close the loop). I was always a 1/2 section or a few studs off. Finally I got it to work. Just had to keep trying various ideas in Track Designer. Even with the program though, I think you still need to work with the actual track - and it's more fun.

I was just doing some searches on the web and found this link: Michigan Lego Train Club. Appears they have a number of larger layouts in TDL that can be downloaded. Try searching "lego track designer tdl files" on the web. I'm sure you can find others. Good luck!

i also think you may want to add where and what kind of building you want to position on your layout. For instance, where are you going to put your train station for passengers and where would you place your station for cargo trains? I'd also try to add a bridge. that's always fun to build! :-D

i also think you may want to add where and what kind of building you want to position on your layout. For instance, where are you going to put your train station for passengers and where would you place your station for cargo trains? I'd also try to add a bridge. that's always fun to build! :-D

Good ideas.

My main item is my airport (I used to make tremendous runways with a hundred LEDs, fourteen years ago now.) I have a fair number of roadplates, and there will also be a race circuit somewhere. I was careful to have a short piece of 'double track' suitable for my 7866 crossing, which is hopefully on the way from Germany.

The bridge could perhaps be a giant viaduct on the diagonal section, since that may be the part that 'falls off' the layout table.

My layout table used to be a large cork noticeboard (in unused condition) which fitted on a queen-size bed. I've recently acquired a pair of doors 2m high x 90cm wide. All three things together might be enough space.

I must have another go with Track Designer to see if I can draw-in bounding boxes (of specified size).

Thanks for the input!

-Alex