DLuders

Han's NEW 'Truck 8x4 with Detachable Lowloader"

trucklowloader_1.jpg

Blakbird noticed that Han posted a NEW "Truck 8x4 with Detachable Lowloader" on the Technic LEGO site of Han http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/index.htm . Look for it at the left side of that webpage, under the heading "Design Models". Han wrote that his new MOC is a "Detachable lowloaders are used to transport heavy construction vehicles over the road by powerful trucks. These trucks are optimized for this purpose (engine, multiple axles, extra fuel tanks) and operated by specialized companies as Brouwer, Mammoet/Seumeren, van der Vlist to name a view in The Netherlands." :cry_happy:

Here is the

[updated by Han to show a bottom view and gooseneck lifting):

trucklowloader_2.jpg

"The requirements for this model were: Ability to load the original Technic Lego® set 8275 (Remote Bulldozer), 8043 (Remote Excavator), 8265 (Front Loader) and the Prinoth Leitwolf snow groomer. As such, the gooseneck can handle a load of max. 3kg's. The challenge in Technic Lego® was the stiffness and the pneumatic lifting construction of the deck. The truck is remote controlled, but can be switched easily into manual operation (steering, driving) by shifting gears on the model.

"Until today, this is the largest MOC I designed (3.747 parts). It took about 3 months to design, 2 months for the instructions. Hope you like it!" :thumbup::thumbup:

The dimensions of the total combination (Truck with Lowloader):

* Length: 130 cm

* Height: 21 cm

* Width: 16 cm

* Width with extended deck: 19 cm

* Weight: 4,7 kg (including batteries)

* Cargo weight: 3 kg max.

* Cargo length: 42 cm max.

* Cargo ground clearance: 2 studs min.

* Number of parts: 3.747

trucklowloader_4.jpgtrucklowloader_3.jpg

"Truck 8x4 (Remote controlled or Manual) -- The dump truck 10x4 (see elsewhere on this site) was the basis for the design process of this truck 8x4, which means that most of the functionalities are comparable. The technic functions are: 2 axle steering, working V8 engine, differentials on both rear axles, power functions head-lights and power functions XL-motor for driving / M-motor for steering. Compared to the dump truck 10x4 - except from appearance (color, redesign grille and bumpers) - both steering axles are mounted 1 stud towards the truck's front side and are operated by the new 1x13 gear racks (part 64781)."

trucklowloader_t1.jpgtrucklowloader_t2.jpg

"Drive train: A power functions XL-motor is used to drive the truck. The force of the XL-motor is geared down in a two stages to the both differentials which drives the 4 rear twin wheels. The whole drive train is equipped with twin gears on each axle to apply the force from gear-axle to gear-axle. These twin gears are used to prevent damage to the gear tooth.

The XL-motor is pretty well able to drive the total combination, including a cargo load of 3 kg. However, my strong recommendation is to use only the 8879 'IR speed remote control' unit due to it's ability to control the speed of the XL-motor in multiple steps. Just applying the 'full speed' of the XL-motor from a 'stand-still' position of the total combination will result in too much stress on the whole drive train (as is done with the 8885 'IR remote control', who lacks the speed control).

"5th wheel: A technic turntable is used for the 5th wheel, together with a static connection to the gooseneck (i.e. decoupling the gooseneck means removal of an axle-10 which can be easily done). The reason for this construction is to assure a smooth ability for the total combination to turn curves, as well to make sure that a detached gooseneck will stay connected properly to the truck."

trucklowloader_t3.jpgtrucklowloader_t4.jpg

The technic specifications of the 'Truck 8x4':

* 4 axle truck, first 2 axles steered

* Turning cycle correction for 2nd axle (with gears)

* Remote controlled, ability to switch to manual operation

* Working V8 engine, including fan

* differential unit on 3rd and 4th axle, interconnected

* Headlights equipped with Power Functions LED's

Non-technic functions are:

* Cabin doors open & close

* Cabin can be opened for engine access

* Raise-able wind deflector

* Towbar

Details applied:

* Dashboard with coffee machine and coffee cups

* Fuel tanks, air compressors and air filter units between the wheels

* Fire extinguisher, exhaust pipe

* Spotlights, flashlights, horns and airco-unit on cabin roof

The dimensions of the 'Truck 8x4' are:

* Length: 45 cm

* Width: 14,5 cm

* Height: 21 cm

* Weight: 2,3 kg (including batteries)

* Number of parts: 2.052

"Detachable gooseneck with Lowloader -- As seen on the pictures, the lowloader is mostly build with the traditional studded bricks. Especially the deck is fully based on bricks, because bricks provide a much more stiff construction compared to studless beams. It took some development time to find the optimal balance between deck stiffness and minimal deck height with an acceptable ramp angle. The outcome is a deck being able to load cargo with a minimum ground clearance of 2 studs, with an acceptable sag of the deck when loaded with cargo.

The deck is mounted precisely in the middle of the 3-axle assembly, which has a pendular suspension mechanism. This is necessary to prevent tipping of the 3-axle assembly when the gooseneck lowers the deck. All the axles of the assembly consists of twin-wheels. The platform height of the 3-axle assembly is very low to support the bucket of an excavator.

"Expansion of the deck width is possible by mounting so-called 'deck extenders' which are stowed within the gooseneck stock area. These deck extenders are equipped with flashlights and warning signs."

trucklowloader_l5.jpgtrucklowloader_l4.jpg

"The detachable gooseneck is able to handle a cargo load of 3 kg ! First I considered the new PF linear actuators, but again I experienced pneumatic cylinders have more advantages (appearance, necessary space, no difficult gearing system, force). Disadvantage is not being able to couple/decouple the gooseneck remotely, although manual assistance is needed anyway to mount the gooseneck firmly to the deck (by applying so-called 'locking bars' = axle's pushed through the technic holes in the deck and gooseneck).

"The gooseneck has 2 independent pneumatic circuits. One for lifting the deck, and one for supporting the gooseneck on the truck's chassis when decoupled. The truck has an gooseneck 'auto-center' function; as such the gooseneck will center and locks when lifted.

The deck is lifted by 3 pneumatic cylinders in parallel and holds ~ 2 bar / 30 psi of air pressure when lifted with 3 kg cargo.

"The gooseneck is equipped with a stock area, a spare wheel and ladders for access."

trucklowloader_l6.jpgtrucklowloader_l8.jpg

The dimensions of the 'Lowloader' are:

* Length: 102 cm

* Height: 16 cm

* Width: 16 cm

* Width with extended deck: 19 cm

* Weight: 2,4 kg

* Cargo weight: 3 kg max.

* Cargo length: 42 cm max.

* Cargo ground clearance: 2 studs min.

* Number of parts: 1.695

There is MORE on Han's website -- too much to list here for this new MOC! Find the Parts List and BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS (in PDF and MLCAD formats) there! :grin:

trucklowloader_t9.jpgtrucklowloader_6.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Hi,

First, amazing! the detail is truely done in expertise and care.

In real life the Lowloader is re-enforced to make sure it doesn't bend as can be seen in the picture, the bending in LEGO might not do much, but in real life, such bending would mean stress on the metal and eventual break of the metal bars.

In LEGO life it would mean that the forward and backward wheels will not be at full contact with the ground, causing reduced steering capabilities.

I would suggest re-enforcing the lowloader, by adding two wheels just a few cm after the truck's last wheels (just after the connector) - so that it sits/connects OVER the wheels, rather after, this will reduce the stress on the bars of the lowloader, and put some/most of the weight on the wheels (see my picture #2)

Like this:

low-loaders-4.jpg

And this:

low_loader3.jpg

What an epic truck. Model team looks and Technic functions, with pneumatics and remote controls to boot!

After building his fantastic 10x4 dump truck, this looks to be my next project. It's going to be one pricy build with 25 wheels, pneumatic cylinders and motors, but the scale looks much better in fitting the 8043 compared to the drawbar trailer.

I think it's time to do an inventory of my parts and do some shopping at bricklink :D

Han never ceases to amaze me with his wonderful creations. This is really great MOC and with such well done instructions (0ver 700 pages) I just have to build it. I have already started the renders.

truck2.jpg

Just like his previous models, this is absolutely gorgeous. The ability to switch to manual steering & driving is a very nice toutch.

And the amount of work spent on making the instructions must have been trmendous and extremely time-consuming. Very very very good work !!! :thumbup::thumbup:

And OMG, I like this picture soooo much:

trucklowloader_t10.jpg

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Awesome model.

But IMO his Yellow Dump Truck is still his best creation, both technically and aesthetically.

Beautiful renders.

I wonder how it would look if the gas tank was red and black..

Edited by flyz

Amazerful!!!

I've been trying to build one for a while, never got to finish or get satisfied with my results.

with 2LegoOrNot2Lego's heavy loader a couple months ago via technicbricks and now han's WITH instructions, WOW, it's going to be a busy next couple of weeks (and a Bricklink expensive shopping spree!!)

This MOC is well worth the front page!!!

Edited by Countdown

What a marvelous creation! Very impressive to see that a single XL motor can drive this entire combination pretty fast, even with a 3 kg load.

A question to the more experienced LEGO builders,

Given that this has a piece count of about 3700 (>500 owing to friction pins however), roughly how much would it cost to source parts from Bricklink? I have a pretty decent collection of Technic sets, but I like to keep them built so loose parts are a bit rare in my collection..

Also, would there be a quick and easy way to import the parts into a wanted list on Bricklink?

Given that this has a piece count of about 3700 (>500 owing to friction pins however), roughly how much would it cost to source parts from Bricklink? I have a pretty decent collection of Technic sets, but I like to keep them built so loose parts are a bit rare in my collection..

Given the size of the model and the fact that it contains pneumatics and power functions, I would guess that a total Bricklink value would be about $500 in parts plus shipping. Obviously if you already have some of the parts that cost would come down.

Given the size of the model and the fact that it contains pneumatics and power functions, I would guess that a total Bricklink value would be about $500 in parts plus shipping.

Hmm, that's OK actually. I was worried it might start hitting the thousand mark.

It looks like quite some hours are going to be wasted getting the parts from Bricklink. I tried Brickstore's import from MLCAD files last night, and it appears to have trouble with a few part numbers, though probably a failure on my part rather than the programs.

Obviously if you already have some of the parts that cost would come down.

Well I probably would have a couple of dozen friction pins :laugh:

Hmm, that's OK actually. I was worried it might start hitting the thousand mark.

It looks like quite some hours are going to be wasted getting the parts from Bricklink. I tried Brickstore's import from MLCAD files last night, and it appears to have trouble with a few part numbers, though probably a failure on my part rather than the programs.

Well I probably would have a couple of dozen friction pins :laugh:

Getting organized on bricklink is a project and a half :tongue:

I often waste many hours finding the best combination of minimizing stores to purchase from and the price of parts themselves. The cheapest parts aren't always better when you factor in shipping. This is especially true when you're not in the EU.

That always happens. Bricklink and LDraw don't always use the same part numbers, so a few of them you need to give Brickstore a hint. Once you have them all in Brickstore though, it is a breeze to get a Bricklink wanted list and start shopping.

That always happens. Bricklink and LDraw don't always use the same part numbers, so a few of them you need to give Brickstore a hint. Once you have them all in Brickstore though, it is a breeze to get a Bricklink wanted list and start shopping.

No sooner said than done except for a few decorative pieces I couldn't find for the life of me. I might leave the actual buying till later on however. 391 different lots!!! :oh3:

BrickStore made it much easier except for it constantly not being able to find 3x5 Liftarms or Beam 13's. At some point it couldn't find a dozen friction pins.

Thanks again! =D

Wow, this is really great. Han has brought me in an even bigger dilemma about my LEGO budget. Spend more money in collecting sets, spend it to one of multiple WIP's (from which the designs aren't finished yet) or spend it to collect the parts and build this beauty... The last option looks the best at the moment. :classic:

Heh... I just did an inventory of my parts and I need another 2000 parts to complete. 217 lots to juggle on bricklink.

I blame Crowkiller's Gallardo and Han's Dump truck + drawbar taking up all my parts :tongue:

Btw, do you guys think the old style pneumatic cylinders will work?

It would save me from buying 4 cylinders (and $30...)