Sign in to follow this  
parchioso

Is it worth it to get 6209 at a high prize today?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I found a box of 6209 in a local store, with the new Lego 8097 Slave available, is it worth it to get the 6209 set today, which will cost me around USD200? Which model do you think is better? Personally I don't like the red color base of 8097.

I would get the new one if I didn't already have 6209. The new one has quite a lot off pros such as the new Boba minifig and Bossk. The only con is the price tag its double what the olds one retail price was.

So to conclude it I would get the new one if I didn't have 6209 :sweet: Hope I helped :grin:

I started a topic like this (link) and then I bought it and reviewed 6209 (link). My opinion: if it were today, I'd rather have the new one. At half the price, I'd definitely take the new one. The big advantage of the old one is the Dengar figure, but the new one has Bossk, and a far superior carbonite Han Solo. No question. I love my 6209, but the new one is cheaper and better.

I'm a little confused, you found the 6209 in a local store for $200? I would think if you found that set in a store it'd be discounted or on clearance.

Regardless I think the real question is are you a collector? If not, why waste all that money for an inferior slave 1? But if you like to have every set you can, then I think you will want to buy it, as it will likely go up in price as all older sets tend to do.

I'd get the new one, I can't say the old one is sufficiently better enough to justify that sort of price difference. Yes it is in slightly nicer colours, but the new minifigures and parts make the redesign a lot more appealing overall.

I would get the new one for $80 vs $200 . There isn't enough difference to justify spending that much on the old one

$200? I'd say no, even though it's one of my favourite sets ever. You could just get brown parts off BL to replace the red. I don't think it will be too expensive to mod it.

Hello!

[...] is it worth it to get the 6209 set [...]

The real question is only if YOU consider the deal to be worth it. :wink:

[...]Personally I don't like the red color base of 8097 [...]

And it seems you already have decided. :classic:

From my personal experience, a certain set can cause strong addiction to it. And then it's worth it. Try to reflect yourself. Imagine you're a year ahead now, and didn't buy that set. Would you be mad at yourself in one year, asking "why didn't I get that set when I had the chance"? If you think that could be you, then you know what you have to do. :wink:

There is no answer to your question. And no one here can make this decision for you. It's only important that you are satisfied with the decision you make. Regardless if you bought the set or not. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Folder not public, hard to help.

I must say after thinking about it more, $200 is waaaaaay too much. Get the new set.

FYI - If you live near a Border's Bookstore, you can pick one up for around $60-65 with the coupons they send out regularly. No question, get the new set. Better figures, nice design. You can always do what I did and order replacement parts off Bricklink if you want to change the colors or order a smoke glass canopy like I did...for a few bucks.

Edited by mrfootball

Like many retired LEGO Star Wars sets, 6209 is now selling at a massive premium on eBay, Bricklink etc.

I personally prefer 6209 to the newer version, although as a collector I have all the Slave 1's anyway. If however you're not a collector and are faced with paying $200 for 6209, the newer version is surely a better bet UNLESS for some reason you absolutely hate the new one. And I think you'd have to REALLY hate the new one to pay more than twice as much for 6209....!

Dr. D.

Thanks to all for the feedback, look like there is a common opinion that is helpful for me to understand how 6209 is "valued" today.

I think I collect some old sets like many do, but not exactly a collector as I would see myself, Slave I is a great vehicle so I think there is a compelling drive to have all versions of it, so perhaps I would get that expensive set along with a new one, and try to build 6209 out of the new slave before opening the box.

Like many retired LEGO Star Wars sets, 6209 is now selling at a massive premium on eBay, Bricklink etc.

I personally prefer 6209 to the newer version, although as a collector I have all the Slave 1's anyway. If however you're not a collector and are faced with paying $200 for 6209, the newer version is surely a better bet UNLESS for some reason you absolutely hate the new one. And I think you'd have to REALLY hate the new one to pay more than twice as much for 6209....!

Dr. D.

If by "better bet" you mean "has a huge gap in the back where LEGO forced in a clunky flick-fire missile system" then yeah the new one is fine.

Of course, if you have the budget for the $80 8097 set I would suggest picking up one of these instead. Cheaper, more accurate, greater amount of detail. I'm aware that it may be blasphemy to recommend a plastic model kit on a LEGO enthusiast forum, but you have to remember there are some starships which LEGO just doesn't do it justice.

What I wonder is why they went from brown bricks to red bricks in the newest one. I thought each release was supposed to be more accurate then the previous model?

Thanks to all for the feedback, look like there is a common opinion that is helpful for me to understand how 6209 is "valued" today.

I think I collect some old sets like many do, but not exactly a collector as I would see myself, Slave I is a great vehicle so I think there is a compelling drive to have all versions of it, so perhaps I would get that expensive set along with a new one, and try to build 6209 out of the new slave before opening the box.

Good idea. Just save the MISB 6209 to sell later :devil:

I'd go for the new one, new boba, new bossk fig, and like you said, has the red base.

Hope you are happy with your choice though, whichever one you get in the end. :sweet:

CF

nice comparison shots fallenangel..

i think the 6209 captures the 'beat-up' look better.. the new one looks glossy?

I have 6209 and don't intend to get 8097. I think the new one is good for those who don't have a Slave I and want one, but it's not necessary for those who have 6209.

Good idea. Just save the MISB 6209 to sell later default_devg1.gif

Always a profitable options. Anyone want some Home One sets?

Always a profitable options. Anyone want some Home One sets?

If I buy 6209 at USD 200 today, I don't think I can sell it for any real profit in the future, in this thread many prefers 8097 and I think they have points.

What I wonder is why they went from brown bricks to red bricks in the newest one. I thought each release was supposed to be more accurate then the previous model?

Um, maybe red was cheaper? Available in higher quantities? I don't know.