Admiral Croissant

20 gun frigate 'Vesta'

Wow, I'm really digging this new ship! The stern is very catchy looking. The Captains cabin is good as well. :pir-classic:

Aye, Matey.

She's a beauty alright....

WE SALUTE YOU ADMIRAL CROISSANT!

By jmp_smarty, jmp_smart, Capt. Magellan, Scallywag, John Trevor, Ruby and The 31st Pirate/Privateer/Imperial Division and the Butuan City SPED Center LEGO Collector's Club

post-14291-129017317483.jpg

Wooheee, she's completed! Fantastic model Mr. Croissant, I'm extremely impressed.

The finctionality is amazing, she's a brilliant design. Asthetically, things are perfect, the proportions are all correct and the ship looks beautiful. Seeing all the interior work too makes me wish that I had built an inside for Grandeur, but I suppose that the extra elements would have cost you more.

I also like your rigging and sails, they're all extremely realistic. The precision in your rig is very impressive, and it's clear you spent a lot of time and energy on getting it right. The black thick shrouds with the thin ratlines are very effective, a most clever design.

And it would be remiss of me not to mention the lovely artwork in the cabin.:pir_laugh2:

This is an excellent ship, most impressive. Thanks very very much for sharing. I think this more than qualifies to be part of the master LEGO ship model fleet. :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks for another page full of comments :pir-classic:

And you have to make a tutorial on that ridding, its so realistic.

Thanks for the compliment :pir-sweet: There are some better 'tutorial pictures' (sort of) of the rigging on my Bricshelf.

Wonderful new pics! :pir-wub: My favourite is the one with the long-boats...

Thanks. That's one of my favourites too. It looks really like it's moving there :pir-classic:

Wow, I'm really digging this new ship! The stern is very catchy looking. The Captains cabin is good as well. :pir-classic:

To croissant or not to croissant, THAT IS THE question! And thanks for the compliment :pir-classic:

And it would be remiss of me not to mention the lovely artwork in the cabin.:pir_laugh2:

Yup, it really cheers things up a bit :pir_laugh2:
This is an excellent ship, most impressive. Thanks very very much for sharing. I think this more than qualifies to be part of the master LEGO ship model fleet. :pir-cry_happy:

That would be nice, the Grandeur should be in it as well :pirate:

Thanks a lot. Indeed I spent a lot of time on the rigging so it's good to hear that people like it.

I'm little late with reply on this, but I have to say that this is awesome! :pir-oh:

Probably the best rigging and sails system on LEGO MOCs I've ever seen.

Congratulations both on building technique and on patience for 1,5 years of building.

Wish I could see this in real...

:thumbup:

As I told before, she is a real beauty...

... and a mystery to me, how did you fix the yards to the masts? could you share the secret? thanks!

As I told before, she is a real beauty...

... and a mystery to me, how did you fix the yards to the masts? could you share the secret? thanks!

Well that's not much of a secret really.. I just used ropes for it.

Like on this picture:

v26.jpg

As you can see there's just a small black piece of rope tied to both sides of the yard and around the mast.

And another tan/white rope going from the ends of the yard to somewhere above. I used mainly pin connectors for the masts and it's easy to tie the ropes there between 2 of those connectors.

Well that's not much of a secret really.. I just used ropes for it.

Like on this picture:

v26.jpg

As you can see there's just a small black piece of rope tied to both sides of the yard and around the mast.

And another tan/white rope going from the ends of the yard to somewhere above. I used mainly pin connectors for the masts and it's easy to tie the ropes there between 2 of those connectors.

Thanks for the inside view! I first thought it might be a Technic connector I'm not familiar with :)

WOW! :pir-wub: I know that many have wrote this before me, but this truly is such an amazing ship! And as beautiful as she is on the outside, it gets better when you take look on the inside.

"Vesta" would be a true jewel of any Lego fleet! :thumbup:

This is definitely the coolest custom ship I have ever seen.

Time for some more/better pictures:

vesta8ergrond.jpg

Edited by LEGO Lane

An amazing ship, from the sails, to the rigging, to the hull. It was well worth the 1.5 years of building! Fantastic work!

I love this ship! Everything is really nicely detailed, I really love the mast design as well as those amazing sails. The rigging job is top notch and I love the color scheme of the ship! This is a great ship Admiral hope to see more to come.

I wold like to know if there is a toutirial on how to make the rigging and sails like that.

Thanks.

A tutorial by the great Captain Green Hair for making the rigging can be found in the Index Libary or just click here.It's a simple instruction how to start the "clouds" (I learned something - it's the rigging used for climbing). If you use different kind of strings you'll got a rigging like on the Vesta. For the rest of the rigging you should look for an individual sail-plan like that:

ilsurpr001.gif

From there you can attach the strings to your ship like the Admiral did.

To create sails, you could do it like that or that (both from the Libery)

As for Vestas Sails - since I asked that allready during the Ares-building. Her Sails are made like the first tutorial. attached by sewing them to the yards and ropes. The stripes on them are simple pencil stripes.

you can also look at the building of the Achille by Perfectionist.

There you can see how to sew them to the ropes, too:

dscn1297.jpg

or the secret of pencilstrings :pir-classic:

dscn1291.jpg

I guess for most of the things you could do to make your ship more realistic there is a tutorial as well in the Index Libery :pir-devil: Hope I could help you! :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Aalak

I wold like to know if there is a toutirial on how to make the rigging and sails like that.

Thanks.

What exactly do you mean with "sails like that"?

Do you mean you want the same colour? Or you want to make the sails and rigging moveable? Or you want the 'clouds' in the same way? Or just the same sail plan?

Or all of those? :pir-classic:

Anyway, Aalak gave you a good explanation. But I did it a bit different from what he said.

I did the "clouds" the same as CGH, but I used different types of string, and I knotted everything instead of using glue.

I made the sails the same way as Perfectionist, but I made more lines (1cm apart from each other) and I made brown lines on the edges. (representing this rope)

And I did sew the sails to the yards, but I didn't sew them on the ropes.

I attached these to the lateen sails so I can also fold them up (as you can see here on the left)

And finally, here are some pictures where I try to explain how I made all the sails modular and "braceable". Good luck!

That is a wonderful ship. The colors, the details, the workmanship is all wonderful. I am just blown away.

Great Work. :pir-cry_happy: