Sign in to follow this  
kyphur

WIP - My CubeDude Vignette Entry @ FBTB...

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I was already thinking about giving General Grievous the CubeDude Treatment when this contest was announced so I decided the make him the start of the Vignette!

Since Grevious is known for his unique attack angles I thought "What better than to have him offing a couple of clones by catching them off guard coming from above?" What we have is Grievous hanging from the ceiling with a decapitated (and dismembered) Clonetrooper dead on the floor as grevious turns to stop the Clone Jetpack Trooper from escaping.

The design of Grievous' head is based on the head of his UCS Statue. I just trimmed it down as much as I could without losing any important details.

His body was inspired by Larry Lar's design, okay the legs are a direct copy but they work so well. His torso is original.

Here are some renderings of the design. Note that the tan walls & ceiling are still in the design stage but I'm pretty sure I like the positioning of the 3 CubeDudes. I might rotate Grievous so that he's killing the Jetpack Trooper behind his back (more ninja-like and bad-megablocks) as it will also make his head/face more visible.

cubedude-vignette-entry-1.jpg

cubedude-vignette-entry-2.jpg

cubedude-vignette-entry-3.jpg

cubedude-vignette-entry-4.jpg

cubedude-vignette-entry-5.jpg

cubedude-vignette-entry-6.jpg

Links to photos (take with my phone) of the work so far:

http://www.brickshel...te_3-4_view.jpg

http://www.brickshel...e_back_view.jpg

http://www.brickshel..._front_view.jpg

Here is the link to the gallery once it becomes public: http://www.brickshel...des/CD-Vignette

Finally, here is the star of the show: General Grievous rendered as a CubeDude!

cubedude-moc-general-grevious.jpg

Any Feedback would be appreciated...

Nice work Kyphur.

The shoulder joint on Grievous is really well done.

That should eliminate his arms from coming off unintentionally :laugh:

Great job.

At first I wasn't able to recognize the GG in your first batch of pics, but after seeing the last one (should've been the intro pic IMO), you really made a very good representation of Grievous in CubeDude form. Very nice use of slopes for the head, as well as the distinct contrast of the 'eyes' that stand out from the white body. Even the red jet trooper is well-built! Great job kyphur! :thumbup:

Looks really good- I'm just not sure if Grievous looks CubeDude-ish enough, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's because you didn't orient his head diagonally.

This is great - nice job ! Looks better to me than some of Angus Maclane's efforts, to be honest - excellent ! Do you have building instructions for him ?

Dr. D.

Looks really good- I'm just not sure if Grievous looks CubeDude-ish enough, if you know what I mean. Maybe it's because you didn't orient his head diagonally.

I'm still trying to see if I can get a good enough head with the diagonal orientation. Still have 25 days to perfect it!

This is great - nice job ! Looks better to me than some of Angus Maclane's efforts, to be honest - excellent ! Do you have building instructions for him?

Dr. D.

Once the design is finalized I'll post building instructions for him.

Some good ideas incorporated here. I would like to see it as a real CubeDude though.

In my mind the diagonal placement of the head is the single most important aspect when making CubeDudes.

I would advise those taking part in that contest to really study the CubeDudes from MacLane and others.

They are really fun to make, but the success of the format is based on the limitations and the basic idea MacLane developed when making his first hundred CubeDudes.

This is my 4th Head design!

The original head was design #1...

Designs 2 & 3 never were completed...

Design #4 looks more menacing in my opinion and (best of all) it is offset by 90 degrees!

Compare the two heads:

cd-grievous-heads.jpg

I'm trying to decide if I should add a couple of slopes above his eyes (on the new head), here is the before & after shot:

cd-grievous-heads-2.jpg

Here is my favorite on the body:

cd-grievous-front-final.jpg

Edited by kyphur

Love the improvements.

You've got the cube dude angle now so that's good.

The one on the left in the first pic I was going to comment looked a little narrow and so was gladly surprised to scroll down and find you bulked it up.

Nice job can't wait to see the real thing.

A few minor tweaks and here is CubeDude General Grievous "In The Brick"!

cd-grievous-in-the-brick-small.jpg

Here is the 3rd set of legs I designed for him, what do you guys think?

5074157274_cf430a845b_b_d.jpg

Yeah, I'm trying to find the right balance between the Blockiness of CudeDude and the slimness of Grievous.

I think both sets of legs work, the question is which work better. One thing I like is how this set of legs lets me mix the colors better with the tiles on the 1x1 headlight bricks.

All other things being equal I think this set of legs fits the CubeDude format better than the original set.

BTW, for those interested I will post instructions for Grievous once I'm settled on the final design. Hard to believe I'm almost 2 weeks into building this little guy!

Edited by kyphur

I really like GG! :wub:

The latest version is by far the best, you've really captured him well in Cube form. :thumbup:

Could you get some pics of the red clone by any chance? He looks really good aswell, I'd just like to see him from the front. :sweet:

Thanks and keep up what your doing, and good luck!

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

Great to finally see it in real bricks! The only problem I have with the landscape is that the top of the formation GG is hanging off of is standard bricks. I'd like to see more slopes and texture, or better yet, SNOT landscaping. It's already quite good though, and I know you've spent time and money on the landscape you have now.