starstreak

Review: 8169 Gallardo LP-560-4

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This review will be on the 8169 Lego Gallardo LP-560-4

Build a detailed and authentic Lamborghini!Ready to ride? Get up close to the incredible Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 with this amazingly detailed 1:17 scale LEGO® model with opening doors and engine cover. It’s authentic right down to the engine and the famous Lamborghini rims! Includes instructions for rebuilding into a coupe Gallardo or spyder Gallardo with retractable top.

• 1:17 scale model! Includes decals for an even more detailed look!
  • Engine cover and doors open!
  • Retractable top folds into the back!
  • Vehicle dimensions: Length = 10.5" (26.7cm), Width = 4.5" (11.4cm), Height = 3" (7.6cm)

Set Name: 8169 Gallardo LP-560-4

Theme: Racers

Released: 2009

Pieces: 741

Price: $59.99/$51.16 EUR/45.96 GBP It was $70.99 here in Hawaii. Thank goodness I picked this up last year when I was at Legoland for the MSRP.

Here are some quicklinks Lego.com, Brickset, Bricklink

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

Box art front

3737134402_0c99cb77be_z.jpg

Very nice box art for the front. While the oil stains add depth to the photo, it also give the impression that it leaks oil. At least to me it does.

Box art rear

3736342865_a3c2ec86d9_z.jpg

The back of the box goes into good detail on the two Lamborghini cars.

Manual covers

3737143242_c25d087ac5_z.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just a dupe of the front of the box.

Parts bags

3736346961_185085c195_z.jpg

No marked bags here. At 700+ pieces I know I'll have fun looking for pieces.

Parts lists

3736353359_d3ab5de885_z.jpg

Sticker sheet

3736347813_eec247a31e_z.jpg

This is actually my second sticker sheet. My first one was messed up inside the box. I'm happy they sent me a replacement.

Random photos

3737135994_75740a7cf6_z.jpg

Sweet tires! I couldn't wait to see what they looked like in hand. Too bad it turned out to be just rim covers like you find in Wallmart to cover steel rims. Oh, can't forget the hologram logo.

3737149120_93b88098e4_z.jpg

Here is how the roof opens and closes. You can of course see my video at the end of the review where I show how it opens and closes too.

Picture of the rims and tires

3822012815_882cd38f8d_z.jpg

Even if this set turns out to be a dud, I know I wanted the rims. Imagine my surprise to find out its "normal" rims but with wheels covers. At least it still looks good with them on the tires. It actually makes the tires look like low profile tires. Only thing I didn't like was how, with the wheel covers on the rims, it made the tires stick out of the side of the car.

Build Process- Once again, I suppose you want to see how this beauty of a car gets put together? You're wish is my headache. To save space, I grouped it in 4s. Follow it by going left to right on each line.

4975661927_5c4b6db622_z.jpg

First off, sorry for the multi-colored background. While the actual Lego is almost the correct color, the white balance was thrown off. Don't adjust your screen.

4975661983_46c2275527_z.jpg

4975662035_0c2579f1ce_z.jpg

4976274844_5da6a10755_z.jpg

From about here is where you have to dismantle the Gallardo if you want to create the hardtop. But I'll show you the build of the convertible since it's more interesting.

4976274902_5975af3002_z.jpg

4975662209_01c11b51f8_z.jpg

4976275018_a439bf8762_z.jpg

Finished Photos

3821696346_58f0c6eaff_z.jpg

Hardtop from the side. Very flowing in design. Lego is a very... hard edged building toy so it's hard to make smooth angles, but they did it well.

3820891763_8ccd9c9478_z.jpg

Rear shot. You can see a clear view of the engine. In the convertible version, the engine is completely hidden.

3820893095_75b949d1ef_z.jpg

Finished rear shot. That's a nice rear on that car. From far, the tail lights look real and not so much a sticker. Notice the lower rear brake light?

Here is the video of the convertible in action. If you click on it and view it on youtube, you can actually watch it in HD.

3821695174_85077c6b9d_z.jpg

Front shot of the convertible version. Very Lego looking but still very nice. I just wish Lego didn't have to use stickers for the lights. See the updated police version of the Lamborghini. They actually created the headlights.

Comments: I could not wait to get this car. I love Lamborghini car designs. Since this was an official set, Lego could get all the official markings for the car. It turned out very good for Lego first try. The Polizia set came out much better but I would still buy this set even after purchasing the Polizia set. I love how you can make the convertible version of this car. The roof hids neatly inside the rear hatch. I just wish Lego didn't have to use stickers for the lights. The rims are something special too. It's actually normal Lego rims but with a hubcap cover on them with the Lamborghini spokes on them. I wish they went as far as giving emblem stickers for the rims.

My rating

Playability: 4/5 This is playable. While the front wheels don't turn, they do roll. The doors and even the roof on the convertible can collapse into the rear hatch.

Design: 4/5 I would've given it a 5/5 if the Polizia set wasn't out and I saw how much more they could've improved on the set. Like actually creating headlights.

Build experience: 3/5 It's made for ages 9-14. My son can build this. He's 8. I think they made it into the higher age group because it's more of a "model" than something that plays well with other LEGO sets.

Overall: 4/5 I think this would make a great set if you love collecting cars. It's expensive but I think it costs that much because of the licensing. If you're a AFOL (Adult Fan Of Lego) it doesn't look like a kids toy. I would be proud to display it on my work desk. Too bad work outlawed having personal items on desks...

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

All photos are click able for larger, bigger-than-life picture sizes! Here is a direct like to my: 8169 Lego Gallardo LP-560-4

Edited by Rufus
Fixed the video

Sorry to bump an aging thread, but this is an excellent review and I thought it deserved another look. I can't believe it didn't get any replies - I seem to remember encouraging starstreak to review the set in the first place and I'm embarrassed that I missed it when it first came out :blush:

I love these medium-sized car sets, whether they are the CREATOR type or licensed/racer sets like this one. There's some interesting build techniques going on in there, and the mechanism to raise and lower the roof is clever and very slick (I fixed the video link which wasn't working for some reason - it's well worth a look.)

Unfortunately I missed out on this set, so it's great to get a closer look - thanks, starstreak! :wub:

Sorry to bump an aging thread, but this is an excellent review and I thought it deserved another look. I can't believe it didn't get any replies - I seem to remember encouraging starstreak to review the set in the first place and I'm embarrassed that I missed it when it first came out :blush:

Me too! I only ran into it as I'm indexing...

Wonderful review as always. :wub: I didn't buy this one, and I don't really have any regrets. Why? Aside from the wheel covers I could build something very similar from spare parts and these days I need to be mindful of my ever-diminishing free space. Even so, this is an excellent design that looks very close to the real thing. The police version is still available locally (I think) and that's more temping for me as it's blue. Maybe I should look for it! :laugh: Thanks for the review.

Very nice box art for the front. While the oil stains add depth to the photo, it also give the impression that it leaks oil. At least to me it does.

:tongue: