LuxorV

Let’s go Cosplay! - Minifig Customization Workshop Contest 2010

Let’s go cosplay! - Minifig customisation Contest

Eurobricks Staff in co-operation with BrickArms is proud to announce the Minifg Customisation Workshop Contest 2010

gallery_1771_104_214177.png

The Theme

Create a new custom minifigure depicting someone who is going to take part to a cosplay meeting.

Explanation:

For those of you not familiar with the term, here is a handy link to the meaning of Cosplay.

It can be anything, from anime, manga or films/movies.

Here comes the interesting part: the masked minifigure must include details of both the cosplayer and ordinary life nature (i.e., how your character is in his/her dayly life, when not wearing a costume). This means that you have to make a fat Darth Vader, a dwarf Spiderman, an aged Wonder Woman or a male Sailor Moon… Adding 'home-made' details to the costumes could also be a way. Your imagination is the only limit!

The main goal is not to create the perfect Cosplay custom minifig but to create an imperfect but realistic Cosplayer minifig. By 'imperfect' means the Cosplayer should have like an amateurish costume, not very well done make-up, hair, and the like. (Thanks go to KielDaMan for this perfect description)

Note - Just one custom fig is required: the one with the costume; any other figs (like a not masked version of your character) will not be considered part of the entry.

The Rules

• Your entry must be a recognisable reproduction of a cartoon/comics/films/other media character

• Your custom must be clearly recognisable as a masked geek: include some details to allow us to understand he/she is not the real character, but just someone pretending to be that

• For the nature of this contest, no digital entries are allowed - only actual brick-built entries

• For the same reason, photo editing of the entries will be allowed only for a better presentation; no digital added decals or parts’ colour changes will be allowed

• Your entries must be at least 51% recognizable LEGO

• Entries must have a background story, a note on which theme they are 'from' and which character you've copied

• Your custom figure must be showcased in an 8x8 vignette, showing how it blends into the LEGO world

• Entries' description must include an indication of the cost of the material used to create the custom (Not including the parts used for the vignette!)

• Contestants may submit a maximum number of 5 pictures per entry, keeping in mind that a base of 4 pictures (overall vignette plus front, side and back of the figure) is required to qualify for this contest

• Entries should have a link to a picture folder (non-resized pics, close-ups and stuff like that for the rest of us to enjoy)

• Max picture size for deeplinked pictures is 800 x 600 pixels

• No webcam or phone pictures - The pictures must be undisturbed - make a studio, anything but a table with a cat in the background

• Entries must be new customs. Any entry published online prior to the start of the contest will be disqualified

• You may not include in your entry any decal or other design element created by other customisers; actual custom plastic items (such as BrickArms, BrickForge and similar) are allowed, as long as you clearly refer to them in the text and you give due credit

• Clone brands’ (Oxford, Megablocks and suchlike) parts are definitely forbidden!

• Contest entries must be posted before the 20th of October 2010 12:00 GTM

• Only one entry per person

• All entries posted until the end date of the contest are considered Works In Progress

• All entries not living up to the rules on the end date will be disqualified

• Entries must be something the whole AFOLs’ community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content

• All entries will be commented 1 week before the end date by me, giving guidelines on how to qualify for the vote

Entries are to be posted within the Minifig Customization Workshop and type "MCW Contest 2010 Entry" in the topic description line.

PRIZES

There will be 3 prizes consisting of rich items’ packs offered by BrickArms

Find out more about the prizes here.

The Contest will run from today (20th of September 2010) to 20th of October extended to the 27th of October (12 GMT)

Have fun and start customising!

Sounds very interesting! ) :sweet:

I can already see many talented customizers showing their work! Oh, the joy! :laugh:

Am I correct in sayiung that we are allowed to use paint and sculpey? )

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Am I correct in sayiung that we are allowed to use paint and sculpey? )

Yes you are. You can use every customisation technique you want, as long as the result is clearly LEGO looking, does not contain clone-brand parts, and it is your own work.

Just remember that

Entries' description must include an indication of the cost of the material used to create the custom

So, you'll have to include an estimate of the cost of the sculpey and paint you used.

I think I might just give this a try! :classic:

I'm not going to be using any sculpy, so I'll have to give it a lot of thought.

Oh, thank you very much for a fast reply, LuxorV!

I suppose it'll be a great fun, participating in this contest! ) :classic:

I'm not going to be using any sculpy, so I'll have to give it a lot of thought.

As if using sculpey does not require that. :sceptic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

As if using sculpey does not require that. :sceptic:

? sculpey requires lots of thought, and moreover, skill, but it allows you to have any shape you want. If you're going to stick to established parts, you will need to be cleverer to make your figure have the zazz! to win.

I bet the winner uses sculpey of some sorts. It produces great results. Nothing dubious about my first post :sceptic:

I am having difficulty followning the rules...

We have to have a fellow masquerading as the character AND the character in his normal every-day state of being? :wacko:

I am having difficulty followning the rules...

We have to have a fellow masquerading as the character AND the character in his normal every-day state of being? :wacko:

Ok, that part may be a bit tricky. In short, your entry is a minifig masked as a fictional character, but his/her costume is not a professional one, and you have to show it.

It may be a Darth Vader in a discoloured or mismatched dark grey suit instead of the regular one, or a bald Wolverine. It may be more subtile, like having the right suit and all, but with clearly visible trade marks on it (for example, someone dressed like Neo, but with an eye-catching Nike mark on the shirt). It may be even an ethnic exchange: having a caucasian impersonating Blade would look quite strange, even if the costume was perfect.

Hope this helps to clear things a bit :classic:

oh, this sounds good. Can you also make an entry based on purely official lego parts? As in no custom bits.

Of course you can: it's called 'purist customisation' :wink:

As I participated in the first MCW Contest, I think I'll keep the tradition alive and enter this one! (and make my second custom minifigure ever) :tongue: There are so many choices which can be made here, so thanks for the freedom.

I'm looking forward to all the entries. :thumbup:

I don't think I entered in any MCN contest yet, so I'll definatly have a go at this one :sweet:

The prices are great, but there is some good competition :wink:

What a fun theme! I have but one question, are cross-dressing minifig entries allowed?

I have been dying to do some more Anime-related figures for quite some time now.

Good luck to everyone. :classic:

I am definitely taking part in this. It will be my first custom minifig contest so it should be good to see if I can do this or not.

What a fun theme! I have but one question, are cross-dressing minifig entries allowed?

As long as you respect this rule:

Entries must be something the whole AFOLs’ community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content

everything is allowed.

Staffers will reserve the right to indicate if any entry falls too far.

Figured out what I am doing, and very excited to start on it after work tonight.

-Omi

Yeah, me too! And thanks for clearing that up LuxorV, don't worry I don't plan on designing any offensive figures. :classic:

So, I still don't get this.

I need some examples of Cosplay. I mean, what IS it?

You seen pics of ComicCon right? Or Star Wars celebrations? You see how people dress up like characters from games and comics and movies? That is cosplay.

For example, this is me cosplaying Balthier from Final Fantasy XII. Because my cosplay has a resemblance to the actual character with little difference, this would be the Lego fig, if I were to enter it.

However what Luxor wants, from what I see in the rules, is that it has to look like its actual cosplayy with the attributes of everyday life. Most cosplayers don't wear the right colored wig or outfit, or never take of glasses. I could make a Cloud Strife cosplayer with crappy spiky hair and wearing reading glasses and make the outfit look like it was pieced together. Or a guy wearing a Zelda or Peach outfit. Or these chicks.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron