Oky

2011 LEGO Boardgames News & Discussion

If the rules are good enough I'll consider building this in minifig scale that would be great fun for the whole family.

I thought about that very thing a few days before I heard about this game and how much fun could be had building all the little rooms and characters.

Yes I played D&D in school.....I'm a nerd :sweet:

I am really looking forward to this new Heroica series! Can't wait to find out more about this gameplay. It is like a modular game series with the basic pack, followed by 3 expansion packs. :wub:

The spieltest site had a video with commentary in german. Perhaps there some gameplay info buried in there?

Forum points for actual information!

The spieltest site had a video with commentary in german. Perhaps there some gameplay info buried in there?

Forum points for actual information!

Hmmkay... rough and quick translation:

You plays as a character with individual strenghts and weaknesses. You have a backbag where your weapons are stored. You obtain new weapons by collecting gold and buying them. You also collect and buy poitions to upgrade your character. There are locked door which need keys to be unlocked...and yes you also collect keys. And you obviously fight monster in this game.

Sadly there is no info on how fighting is actually handled in the video.

Why the girl keeps comparing Heroica to Videogames instead of DSA or D&D which are clearly more similiar to this, is beyond me.

Edited by Eichhorn

Why the girl keeps comparing Heroica to Videogames instead of DSA or D&D which are clearly more similiar to this, is beyond me.

This could be TLG's main selling point to parents: "this game will keep kids away from the computer/game console". Not sure if it will prove true but nevertheless I think the concept is terrific and may appeal to AFOLs (as a game rather than a part pack) much more than the current offerings.

I'm just glad the NinjaGo game comes with loads of baby skeletons... wait that didn't sound right.

This could be TLG's main selling point to parents: "this game will keep kids away from the computer/game console". Not sure if it will prove true but nevertheless I think the concept is terrific and may appeal to AFOLs (as a game rather than a part pack) much more than the current offerings.

It's most likely because the videogame market is a multi-BILLION-dollar industry that advertises its products very effectively so potential buyers (parents) are more likely to know them. How big is WOW worldwide in comparison to pen&paper rpg-products like D&D, that are effectively still the "satanist-stuff" in many a folk's mind. And watch the demographic: Same potential buyers are members of a generation who themselves grew up with videogames. Well, some will have had some exposure to rpg, but still! Furthermore, and I witnessed that with D&D 4th edition, even some modern pen&paper rpgs are in their essence a board-game simply because modern players tend to the casual game experience they are used to by playing videogames... the circle closes.

Edit: One gilded Ultra-chocolate-cookie-with-awesome-frosting goes to Eichhorn for the first ever officially recorded mention of DSA* in this forum!

*DSA = "Das Schwarze Auge" is one of the largest fantasy pen&paper rpgs in Germany. It's basically fairytales mixed with cultural influences from our world an a goog shot of Tolkien poured over, well stirred and boiled. It even saw a very short and limited release in english speaking countries as "The Dark Eye" (almost the same name as in German...)

Edited by Cutty

This is interesting. I was thinking of looking up D&D, I have a bunch of those minis, but I looked up the rules and said 'oh hell no'. But maybe I can complicate the rules of this enough so it'll be fun for us experienced (old) people too. :laugh:

I am a regular board gamer, my friends even mush more, but as mush as I love Lego and Board games, I think they are overdoing it. 10+ new games a year is just way to mush. I can't imagine that this overdose on new games is good for the general quality. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't played all the games yet.

Also, when seing this new game, the oly thing I can think of is, why not do this with minifigs, it would look so mush cooler, the characters would have real personality, you can ad weapons, the possibilities (as a gamer and from a comercial point of vieuw) seem endles. But now, with those tiny figures, I just think, pas, I just will buy another regular boardgame.

Also, when seing this new game, the oly thing I can think of is, why not do this with minifigs, it would look so mush cooler, the characters would have real personality, you can ad weapons, the possibilities (as a gamer and from a comercial point of vieuw) seem endles. But now, with those tiny figures, I just think, pas, I just will buy another regular boardgame.

It would be much more expensive to produce something like this with minifigs, you do realize that?

Besides, what stops you from making your own minifigs as pawns for this game if you want to.

I for one will be looking forward to see how this game plays. I'm not sure if these will reach the local stores where I live, since this seems to be oriented for older kids than those who drool over at the toy shelfs. But we'll see...

It would be much more expensive to produce something like this with minifigs, you do realize that?

I do, but I don't think it will change that mush, it's just a litle more parts and printing. I am sure that they can save the extra cost somewere else. The set would also be more appealing, so it would be a win win I guess.

For example, I will pas on this set, no mather what the revieuws are, but if the set would have cool minifigures, I would probably buy it no mather how bad it is and still give the game itself a try.

Besides, what stops you from making your own minifigs as pawns for this game if you want to.

That's the good thing about Lego :thumbup:

I do, but I don't think it will change that mush, it's just a litle more parts and printing. I am sure that they can save the extra cost somewere else. The set would also be more appealing, so it would be a win win I guess.

For example, I will pas on this set, no mather what the revieuws are, but if the set would have cool minifigures, I would probably buy it no mather how bad it is and still give the game itself a try.

Another thing is that with minifigures, you'd have difficulty fitting people on adjacent spaces sometimes. I know I've encountered that problem with LEGO board games back before the new LEGO Games system. In some LEGO games, it's also important to be able to fit more than one pawn on a single space. While this doesn't apply for Heroica, it certainly is essential for some other games.

I've got no problem with microfigs. The more LEGO releases, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I'm still waiting for one to make its way into regular System sets as a suitably-sized infant.

I think this is a VERY clever move of LEGO to make for their board games. The gimmick has always been with the Lego Board games that you can change them around and mess with the rules a pieces, but I wonder how many people actually did that and messed with the carefully controlled gameplay factors that make a game work. Having a D&D style modular game world, however, is uniquely suited to the capabilities of LEGO. Once the initial rules are understood, anybody can make their own world to play in. And unlike pen-and-paper games, you could theoretically add a third dimension to your world, make it a proper landscape MOC. Well played, LEGO, well played.

Heroica sounds awesome. Lego + D&D = :sweet: It's perfect, really. If you don't like the official expansions you can always make your own. The very best thing about the Lego games (besides them being Lego) is the inherent flexibility for creating your own rules and customizing the "board". I also can't wait to try building little mini-monsters for the microfigs to encounter.

Hmmm. Now I just have to figure out a way to get it without compromising my approved budget for the year.

I can totaly see this as new fantasy theme after Kingdoms!

Kingdoms line is awesome. They have civilians. I think Heroica will stay as a board game. But I'll buy it! I love board games!

I can totaly see this as new fantasy theme after Kingdoms!

Yeah! I hope for the same! A genuine heroic adventure driven fantasy-theme would be the bomb. Kingdoms' stronger focus on the mundane aspects of a potential castle-theme is all good and proper, yet since it's launch it doesn't feel "round" to me, as if something was missing. Even it's factions are bland in comparison to crownie-knights, skeletons and trolls. The upcoming civilian sets will be fantastic but essentially they're just cherries to pick and would have worked just the same, if not better (!), as a continuation of Castle, simply BECAUSE civilians could be part of either faction.

If Heroica became, say, a fantasy-world action-theme however, that'd be nice to have in addition to Kingdoms. Given the scale of action a thing as Heroica could produce I'd guess it'd be a three-wave theme similar to Atlantis.

But the worst thing is: Up until this point all the above is just wishful thinking *weeps*...

Be well all!

Cutty

I hope Heroica will sell world wide or atleast in as many countries as possible.

Very cool feature that you can combine those 4 board games or to expand it.

Indeed like others of you said before (or used other words) Lego+D&D=pretty awesome!

Can't wait to see more of it!

Another thing is that with minifigures, you'd have difficulty fitting people on adjacent spaces sometimes. I know I've encountered that problem with LEGO board games back before the new LEGO Games system. In some LEGO games, it's also important to be able to fit more than one pawn on a single space. While this doesn't apply for Heroica, it certainly is essential for some other games.

There you have a good point

looks great! Those flat pices with red, gold, and weapon pieces look like stat cards. Cool new battle axe, bow, and curved spear. The micro figs on boxes look like d&d classes. I will definitly buy at least one, but I will play with minifigs (putting them on spaces using only one foot.) It would be good if lego changed it to minifigs before the release (probobly not.) Potions look good. I will buy the forest!

I might just end up getting this. Even if I don't end up playing it, looks like a nice parts pack. I like the usage of blank microfigures as enemies. :classic: