Derek

Collectable Minfigures: Worth the Hype?

Been perusing this thread for a few days now and decided to post.

The simple answer to the question is YES, they are worth the hype for a lot of people. LEGOman273's post is right, but it goes even beyond that. The figures spark the imagination of what you can do; I look at some of these figures and the MOC just appears in my head... Three Musketeers, The Three Weird Sisters (witches) from MacBeth, all the classic b-horror movie figures. On top of that, you get the every day city folks to flesh out your city layout (if you're into that); the skateboarders, medical personal, better policemen (IMO) than what they release in sets, computer programmers...

And then there's that some of these make incredibly awesome little gifts... I've been saving graduates (a lot of kids in my extended family), I've been collecting programmers to give to people at work (because it's what we do), I've been giving Statues of Liberty to people that I know that have recently become U.S. citizens. No doctors in the family, don't know any skateboarders, but I can easily see how a lot of these figures can be used that way.

On top of all that, you get the army builders... I'm guilty, too. I have a dozen elves and a dozen "evil" dwarves. I don't army build like some, but for some people these CMFs are god-sends.

Lastly, as has been mentioned many times, all the different new faces and parts and torsos... outstanding.

I am to the point where, after having ordered by the box a couple of times, I think it's actually more cost effective for me to just order the box. I do enjoy "feeling" the packets, but I do that even when I get the whole box in order to sort them out. I verify my counts with Whitefang's reviews; I open up a complete set for display (all 112 at the moment), keep a sealed set for posterity, and trade away and use the others. I'm the big LEGO fan in my family, but EVERYONE likes them - both kids and my wife, they always pick a few from each series that they'd like, so I end up having to get even more than what's in the box, but I get to use extras for trading. Finally, when the MOC ideas start flowing, I try to trade for extras of those figures, too. See my signature if you want to trade!

My complete set of the first five series, 80 figures in four cases:

6175745707_78eb0ff4ed.jpg

DSCF0851 by FredJH, on Flickr

So yes - they may not be for everybody, but people get just as excited for these as others do for other themes. I think they were a fantastic idea.

Edited by fred67

I love them, design and the whole idea of randomized, non-connected minifigs. I rarely use the whole minifig, I use parts and accessories, combining them with other lego parts and that is my main happiness about CMs

I like them very much, but i am rapidly losing my interest. Here are my reasons:

• The price of the minifigures in rapidly increasing in Singapore. Yes it seems to be only a little increase in money on Lego.com. But if you convert it into Singapore dollars, the difference is astronomical. You can buy a set already(if you want the entire series of Series 7 you can buy a very large set already) or a ton of food(Not exactly comparable but...*shrug*)
  • The Collectable minifigures are increasing scarce in Singapore.Only available in a bunch of shops. One particular Lego shop( I shall not mention names) actually removes all the highly sought after minifigures from the box almost immediately! :angry: So you can stay there feeling for the minifigures(Even the common ones like the Galaxy Patrol) and you are just simply wasting your time! I would like to point this out to Lego. What fairness is that? The Lego shop in question is the only Lego shop in my side of Singapore, so I can only rely on that.

I hope that lego could do some measures in preventing this from happening. I am very disappointed regarding this. :sad:

P.S. I shall not reveal where I stay, but there has been rare sightings of me in the Eastern side of Singapore :wink:

Omega X

Edited by Omega X

I like them very much, but i am rapidly losing my interest. Here are my reasons:

• The price of the minifigures in rapidly increasing in Singapore. Yes it seems to be only a little increase in money on Lego.com. But if you convert it into Singapore dollars, the difference is astronomical. You can buy a set already(if you want the entire series of Series 7 you can buy a very large set already) or a ton of food(Not exactly comparable but...*shrug*)
  • The Collectable minifigures are increasing scarce in Singapore.Only available in a bunch of shops. One particular Lego shop( I shall not mention names) actually removes all the highly sought after minifigures from the box almost immediately! :angry: So you can stay there feeling for the minifigures(Even the common ones like the Galaxy Patrol) and you are just simply wasting your time! I would like to point this out to Lego. What fairness is that? The Lego shop in question is the only Lego shop in my side of Singapore, so I can only rely on that.

I hope that lego could do some measures in preventing this from happening. I am very disappointed regarding this. :sad:

P.S. I shall not reveal where I stay, but there has been rare sightings of me in the Eastern side of Singapore :wink:

Omega X

Have you tried ordering the figures you're after from eBay or BL? Depending on who you order from, it can be a really good bargin. That's what i did with the series 6 and 7 figures along with a series 4 skateboarder(3 different orders). I also picked up parts and i needed and it worked out well.

The Collectable minifigures are increasing scarce in Singapore.Only available in a bunch of shops. One particular Lego shop( I shall not mention names) actually removes all the highly sought after minifigures from the box almost immediately! :angry: So you can stay there feeling for the minifigures(Even the common ones like the Galaxy Patrol) and you are just simply wasting your time! I would like to point this out to Lego. What fairness is that? The Lego shop in question is the only Lego shop in my side of Singapore, so I can only rely on that.

I can totally understand that frustration but there are ways to overcome it. There are also other LEGO specialty stores in Singapore, and you might want to try your luck too. I will think that those 'desired' ones are no longer around in those opened boxes, but still, you could just give it a try from time to time.

The Collectable minifigures are increasing scarce in Singapore.Only available in a bunch of shops. One particular Lego shop( I shall not mention names) actually removes all the highly sought after minifigures from the box almost immediately! :angry: So you can stay there feeling for the minifigures(Even the common ones like the Galaxy Patrol) and you are just simply wasting your time! I would like to point this out to Lego. What fairness is that? The Lego shop in question is the only Lego shop in my side of Singapore, so I can only rely on that.

*oh2* I didn't know that happened. I have used Bricklink to collect series 1,2,4,5, and 6, and I definitely recommend it. I'm purchasing series 7 soon. :classic: There's shipping costs, but it's worth it, considering that you need to do no bag feeling.

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Have you tried ordering the figures you're after from eBay or BL? Depending on who you order from, it can be a really good bargin. That's what i did with the series 6 and 7 figures along with a series 4 skateboarder(3 different orders). I also picked up parts and i needed and it worked out well.

I can totally understand that frustration but there are ways to overcome it. There are also other LEGO specialty stores in Singapore, and you might want to try your luck too. I will think that those 'desired' ones are no longer around in those opened boxes, but still, you could just give it a try from time to time.

*oh2* I didn't know that happened. I have used Bricklink to collect series 1,2,4,5, and 6, and I definitely recommend it. I'm purchasing series 7 soon. :classic: There's shipping costs, but it's worth it, considering that you need to do no bag feeling.

Hmm...I will give Bricklink a try. Thank you for your suggestions. Regarding the other Lego specialty shops in Singapore, I 've tried some already. Results? One removes all of the minifigures in the box, so there is no box at all(At least saves time), and one which does not do anything to the box and leaves it for sale(Now THAT's good!) the box is already empty by the time I reached there.

Omega X

I will try other shops as listed in Smashing Bricks here(Great Blog!)