Derek

Collectable Minfigures: Worth the Hype?

For me personally they are not worth it, substandard plastic aside. There are some cool figs and accessories, but none that really stand out so much that I must get them. If I ever find the need to buy any, I'm sure they'll be cheap on BL. I understand why people like them, though the bar-code kind of takes some of the fun out of it. I collect baseball cards off and on, and it's always fun to buy a pack not knowing what you got until you get home. Add that to some nice figs and I can definitely see why these fly off the shelves. But it's all a personal preference matter and like I said, they're not the type of thing that appeals to me.

As I just commented in the Town forum, I got my first four collectible figs yesterday at Target. There was no perceptible difference in quality from regular figs (at least, without straining my eyes under a bright light). In terms of "feel", the quality is higher if anything: arm and leg joints are firmer.

Having gotten a set that actually had tremendously poor-quality parts (this set, released in 2004 long before Chinese production began), I was expecting that for people to be complaining so much there must have been a legitimate issue here. Not so. The print quality, color quality, and consistency of these parts is spot-on. The only issue is with the lifeguard's torso, where the yellow printing appears slightly darker in color than it should.

So in terms of "are these worth the hype", I think that's still a matter of opinion. If you particularly want any of the figs, then sure, these might be worth the hype. I think the hype over some figs, like the Spartan, is certainly unnecessary. But these figs are just as good as any others IMO, and at their decidedly reasonable price I'd encourage anyone to get as many as you feel is worth your money.

Just got some from series 1 the other day and ordered some series 2 today. Only issue with any of mine was one of the divers (got 2) had his face printed a little low cutting off a bit of his mouth when he has the helmet on. Comparing this to the last two sets I bought these minifigs were quality. I have a Dastan with a misprinted double sided face and a green army man with a broken leg. I'd be more hyped for them if they weren't mystery. Out of my six series 1 figs only half were decent (decent = ones I wanted). The indian, wrestler, and nurse can hang out with misprinted Dastan in the bottom of my lego storage bin. I've got my fingures crossed I'll get at least one karate dude in series 2.

It was fun searching for the packs everywhere and opening them, but when I had them all lined up on my table, I seriously found myself almost thinking "Now what?"

"Now what?" could also happen with your Star Wars collection, with the Metro Liner or even your girlfriend or the new car. This just happens. Tells something about you, but not so much about the Lego figure, I guess. Try to find out what approach of collecting/playing/MOCing/ hunting Lego makes you truely happy and go for it!

There is an old saying.

Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it.

That is how I feel about these. I downloaded the barcodes before I ever bought a single fig, for the same reason as everyone else. But, when I finally found the figs in a store, I bought everyone on the shelf. Why? I'm not really sure, all I wanted was a solid set, but the appeal ofthem was too great, I dealt like I needed them. Then I paid $5 a pop for a dozen zombies.

Come series 2, revere is nothing I'm crazy about in this series, but again, I'm up to 48 and I buy out the store when I see, even thought I have the barcode. Its the appeal. I don't even care that series 3 wont have barcodes, it doesn't take away the allure of mystery figs. I am treating these like trading cards, you want a set but then you want more. Is it for braggging rights? I don't think so or else I would be telling you all what I got. Its just the collector side of me, I just want them. Plain and simple.

I feel bad for children who are probably missing out on these due to crazy AFOL's . But then again, that's one of the things about being an adult, you get the things you couldn't have as a kid.

Sorry, I think I got off on a tangent. Are they worth the hype? I think it all depends on theint of view of the buyer, for me the answer is yes, but its not really me making that choice, my actions decided it for me. And the answer to LEGO is a definite yes due to the handful of us who buyout stock everywhere, I can only assume this is a goldmine for LEGO.

I'm quite indifferent to the hype around these special minifigs. I find them quite good, but I haven't bought even one. I think they'd stick out too much next to ordinary minifigs. I feel they'd be out of place in my city layout. I don't even know where you can download the barcodes. I also don't think my attitude towards them will change in the near future. I prefer spending my money on sets and not on single minifigs.

I'd like to know if there's anyone sharing my opinion. Seems that nearly everyone is absolutely fascinated by them.

I'm quite indifferent to the hype around these special minifigs. I find them quite good, but I haven't bought even one. I think they'd stick out too much next to ordinary minifigs. I feel they'd be out of place in my city layout.

For a city, you can use several of them. The skateboarder would fit right in on a street, as would the mime (street performing). Series 3 has a guy with a stereo deck that would be good on a street. Unless you mean they don't match the complexity of the standard city minifigures, which might be the case.

I'd like to know if there's anyone sharing my opinion. Seems that nearly everyone is absolutely fascinated by them.

I've bought a couple of each figure of both series so I don't share your opinion. But I do agree to some extent that some of these figures are hard to integrate to a town. On the other hand there is a higher proportion of female figures in the collectible series, and a bunch of of useful faces an printed torsos, and some very useful individual figures. That's got to be worth at least looking at one or two figures for any town.

I've bought a couple of each figure of both series so I don't share your opinion. But I do agree to some extent that some of these figures are hard to integrate to a town. On the other hand there is a higher proportion of female figures in the collectible series, and a bunch of of useful faces an printed torsos, and some very useful individual figures. That's got to be worth at least looking at one or two figures for any town.

I myself haven't been a town builder in many years, except on LDD-- and even there, the only town stuff I tend to build is stuff based on buildings and vehicles I encounter in real life-- nothing as grand as an actual, complete town layout. Still, I do understand that the collectible figs aren't necessarily compatible stylistically with related themes. I think many of them are most suited to vignettes.

However, you have a good point about the face prints in particular. They're very versatile and definitely could be really useful in a variety of themes. I recently made a somewhat humorous pimp by using the torso and hat from Brick Daddy of the Space Police theme with the face from the Disco Dude.

Other figs who could easily be worked into a town layout are the surfer and lifeguard (assuming you have a beach at your town or can expand it to include one), the pop star, the nurse, the skater, and many more. The trick is making sure your other town figs have an appropriate level of detail so the collectible figs don't look out-of-place-- it would be awkward, for instance, to have the surfer with his beautiful swim trunks in a town layout if every other dude at the beach is just wearing a speedo!

I have 2x of every minifig in the series and I am really enthusiastic, with them.

Now that series 3 will be out I will buy a box, since there are no more barcodes.

I have 2x of every minifig in the series and I am really enthusiastic, with them.

Now that series 3 will be out I will buy a box, since there are no more barcodes.

I feel the same way... I have one large display with one of each minifigure so far, but have extras of most of them to build vignettes and integrate into other themes.

Realizing that I want at least two of each, and seeing how many I've had to buy randomly and then waste money trading (trading is great, don't get me wrong... but a figure here, two figures there, another one there... and I'm paying as much for postage as I would be to buy more random figures), so I will likely try to just get a whole box.

I also want many elves. At least 10. A box will be a good start (at least three, and probably three since TLG gives you the least of what will obviously be the most popular).

SOme of those minifigs are great, others - I don't like and there are some that simply woudn't fit my Lego collection, that's why I don't buy them.

Actually, so far I've bought only one - the Forestman. Because I have the old Forestmen sets. :thumbup:

I love them. I find them all potentially useful, and I'm actually working on a project now that will use some of the figures from both series so far. I think the concerns about plastic quality actually have more to do with the molds (surface texture, etc.) and don't bother me. I love the designs, and I love the individual parts and accessories (I'll be mixing and matching parts for greater variety). My only complaint is that not everyone can get as many as they'd like, with some people having trouble getting any; I personally can't easily get as many as I'd like (partly as a function of my own limited means, partly as a function of the extremely limited availability of the two series released so far; this should change with Series 3 onward, though the removal of the barcodes I've been using to cherry-pick desired figures may offset the advantages I'm expecting from the greater production runs and distribution - I'll have to see how it goes, I guess).

I've gotten at least two of each figure from both series; for Series 1 I have anywhere from two to four of each, and I'd love to have at least two more apiece. For Series 2 I again have two to four apiece of most of them, with more of the maraca players and Spartans, and again I'd like to have more of most of them, though I think I have all I need of a few S2 minifigs.

All that said, whether they're "worth" the hype or not is really up to the individual. I can speak only for myself; not everyone loves them or even likes them, and for such people they're obviously not worth it, while for plenty of other people they are. There's no one-size-fits-all definitive answer.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Have any of you tried to place a second order of 16 minifigs on S@H? I want to try, but I don't know what will happen if I do...!

Have any of you tried to place a second order of 16 minifigs on S@H? I want to try, but I don't know what will happen if I do...!

I just got my second order of 16 delivered yesterday from s@h. I also ordered a Medieval Village Market with it but I don't think it matters. I don't think they check for previous orders. Sucks to have to pay another round of shipping costs. For series 3 I'm going to buy a box of 60 from a person who buys at wholesale I found on Craigslist.

In my opinion they are worth the hype as the figures add vareity to my Lego Minifig collection and the faces, accesories etc are great! However there are a few bad things. One, where I live I have not seen ANY! I've had to buy the complete set off ebay :hmpf_bad: Another is the quality, which hasn't bothered me so much except that the plastic feels loose/cheap.

I can't remember what Minifigs will be in series 3 but I'll probably just get the ones I want off ebay or bricklink. :sceptic:

I wish LEGO made boxes easier to come by.

I know. They don't even allow you to buy a whole box direct from them. :wacko:

They want the kiddies not buying the boxes. Thats why :laugh:

Why would TLC care who buys them? A customer is a customer, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by prateek

Why would TLC care you buys them? A customer is a customer, nothing more, nothing less.

In fact, TLC would want you to buy more, so they could get higher sales and more money. :sceptic:

In fact, TLC would want you to buy more, so they could get higher sales and more money. :sceptic:

Exactly. Nothing to do with kiddies or adults.

Exactly. Nothing to do with kiddies or adults.

Fail Joke was Fail

If TLC sold whole boxes on S@H, I would buy a box.

But sales (for minifigs) would go down for TRU, Walmart, etc.

Then again, it would be cheaper.

Edited by The Soup Nazi

Fail Joke was Fail

If TLC sold whole boxes on S@H, I would buy a box.

But sales (for minifigs) would go down for TRU, Walmart, etc.

Then again, it would be cheaper.

If TLC decided to do this, they would jack up the box price by 15-20 dollars.

And I really don't think that many wal-marts have them. Just ones in Texas. :hmpf_bad:

If TLC decided to do this, they would jack up the box price by 15-20 dollars.

And I really don't think that many wal-marts have them. Just ones in Texas. :hmpf_bad:

True, but it would still be cheaper than TRU (they've jacked up the prices up to 4 dollars. I mean, come on!)