How good is this set?  

126 members have voted

1. 2. What is your opinon of this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Really bad

Man, now that I have seen this set in all its glorious detail, I want it more than ever. :cry_sad: My bank is gonna hate me...

Anyway, thanks for this nice early review! The minifigs and printed animals are great, and the castle itself seems to be the best Hogwarts set yet! The only things I don't like about it are the lack of Ron and the steep price. Other than that, it's great, and I'm really glad the theme is back, even if it's only for one wave.

Looks like some student is getting an F for spelling. :tongue:

Agreed! I will be "haunting" TRU, until they release it. I had no idea how many individually new parts there were, but this set is incredible! The price isn't very steep when you consider part count, unique molds-prints, number of figures, etc. And i have heard that there is a possibility for a second wave of sets, so something to look for next year!

Sirius

Agreed! I will be "haunting" TRU, until they release it. I had no idea how many individually new parts there were, but this set is incredible! The price isn't very steep when you consider part count, unique molds-prints, number of figures, etc. And i have heard that there is a possibility for a second wave of sets, so something to look for next year!

Sirius

Why don't you just pre-order it from S@H?(assuming you have the cash) paying the TRU is more or less another set! That's crazy to pay TRU prices! For that and the Hogwarts Express, anyways...

Agreed. Even if I were as desperate as you to get this set, I'd much rather get this along with Quidditch Match from S@H instead of paying the extra $20 to TRU just for getting it a couple of days earlier. :sceptic:

It doesnt look like any of the books are printed.... :angry:

the owls are neat, and lots of rare colors to be had here. Expensive, but Ill grab 1 of these sets. :classic:

Nice preview there.

I think a credit card is needed to buy stuff at S@H, and not everyone has a credit card. At least that's how it's around here. That's why i can't buy anything from there too. I wonder why there still are no payment methods like paypal available.

I think a credit card is needed to buy stuff at S@H, and not everyone has a credit card. At least that's how it's around here. That's why i can't buy anything from there too. I wonder why there still are no payment methods like paypal available.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Great review Ras!

I'd really love to get this set, the parts are excellent along with the figs and those owls... :wub:

The castle design isn't that bad, I wish Lego would release the whole castle as a set but it would probably be un-affordable.

Thanks again for the review!

CF

Nice review, and some lovely clear, detailed photographs - good job !

I love the owls and the cat !

And as for the comment about it being time for another version of Hogwarts, you're right - after all, we've only had 3 versions in the past 9 years......(sarcasm). Almost as bad as all the versions of Slave 1.... Still, I'll be buying it - there are certainly some improvements over previous versions o make it worthwhile.

Dr. D.

after all, we've only had 3 versions in the past 9 years......(sarcasm).

:laugh: Indeed, HP fans are quite spoiled! Not that I complain, I missed everything Potter since it came out during my dark age. I'm not a HP maniac, but in terms of part selection and variety the HP sets always have been generous. I don't know if I can fit this one in my Lego budget, but it's a tempting dilemma. Thanks for the pictorial review Ras, it's good to have a closer look at all the goodies in this set! :thumbup:

Thanks for the detailed pictures, Ras! This is certainly one of the must-have sets for me this year.

And as for the comment about it being time for another version of Hogwarts, you're right - after all, we've only had 3 versions in the past 9 years......(sarcasm). Almost as bad as all the versions of Slave 1.... Still, I'll be buying it - there are certainly some improvements over previous versions o make it worthwhile.

But all the Hogwarts Castles (at least the three in the fleshie age) have portrayed different parts of the school so far, so putting them together would form a cohesive entity.

I'm still missing the 2007 Hogwarts too, though, but I hope to eventually get it as well. Then I can post pictures of the three Hogwarts put together, if someone else doesn't get to it before that. :wink:

Thanks for the review Ras 74, it's great to finally see decent pictures of this wonderful set. :thumbup: Now it's time for an elaborate reply. :hmpf:

I just love it. This is definitely one of the best LEGO (Harry Potter) sets ever. It's the best Hogwarts version, but I don't think it would fit very well with the other versions as it's a different scale and a different (better) colour scheme. The first version was alright (focusing on the Great Hall and the biggest tower), the second version was very good (focused on a good designed clock tower and, again biggest tower). And the third set was good for it parts and minifigures, but the design was mainly focused on random little towers and because of that it didn't look outstanding (the greenhouse was excellent though). So: if you put a sand green roof on the second Hogwarts Castle and lower it down a bit (but using all tan parts) it would certainly fit together.

This version seems to focuses again on the Great Hall and the biggest tower, including some other parts of the castle. The design looks great and the colours are just excellent with the splashes of dark tan. I think the architecture is outstanding and it would fit even in a regular town as an old castle. It's great to finally see there aren't any holes in the design, it looks way better! The interior is also very good, with all those details. Great printed pieces like the detailed papers, nice stickers too. This set also looks like a great parts pack.

The minifigures: :wub: ! I love the new Dementors, they look more detailed and darker: I'll try and mix them with the old designs. I'll have to get used to Voldemort, he has a strange grin and I expected him to be Light Bluish Grey. Snape looks good to, although the 2007 version looked more tormented. McConagall looks great too with a dark green version of the dress of her older minifigure, but her face looks a bit younger. Filch looks great and so does Flitwick! They even improved Dumbledore: he looks very much like Michael Gambon's Dumbledore, I love the details on the figure, what an usable figure. Hermoine looks alright. Like I've said before: Harry Potter looks a bit childish for this 6th/7th film set.

I also like the cat very much, it looks great. The invisibility cloak looks weird though, perhaps a cape in the same fabric with a trans-clear cloak headpiece would've looked better. The owls look great too, the printing and new design is just wonderful, although they look a bit big in my opinion (but I haven't seen them in real life, so I'm not sure).

Phew!

I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I probably won't buy it, but I really hope I'll get this set as a Christmas and New Year gift. It's pretty expensive because it's a licensed set, but it looks like it's worth it though. Again, thanks for this review, now I want it even more! :grin:

It's pretty expensive because it's a licensed set, but it looks like it's worth it though.

I don't think this one is expensive at all for what it is. After all, it has 1290 pieces, which is the perfect amount for $130. Even if this set wasn't licensed, it would be the same price for that amount of pieces.

I'll agree that this is certainly the best Hogwarts Castle so far. The first one looked good from the outside, but the inside was extremely bare and cramped. The minifigure selection in this one is also superb. Finally a Hogwarts with a lot of adults! The only figure that I would've liked to see added to this set is Draco, since right now there is a Slytherin common room for nobody to inhabit. I don't mind not getting Ron since he comes with the Hut, but Draco should've been included. Still, this is a wonderful, exciting set that I look forward to buying soon.

But all the Hogwarts Castles (at least the three in the fleshie age) have portrayed different parts of the school so far, so putting them together would form a cohesive entity.

This set does a great of job replacing the original 2001 castle. I wonder how well it would fit scale/wise with the 2004 clocktower building.

This set is really just a general Hogwarts. Like the other castles pertained to one book, this one is quite a few.

Having Lord Voldemort in the set...book 7

The Quibbler with that headline...book 5 or 6(can't remember exactly which)

Sirius's face in the fire...book 5

The Daily Prophet with that headline...book 5

Tom Riddles Diary...book 2

As you may have noticed by now, there is a slight update to the "review".

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

@ Matn: I should really copy/paste some of the text you wrote into my review, and it would have

added what many people misses out of.

Also if I was a more into HP than I am Legocrazy´s insight would have been good to add :thumbup:

Just to determind what different parts in and off the castle means and are from.

Thanks for adding that, now people can read your answers and get more enlightened.

Thanks for the amazing review, Ras-amatazz!

I must admit I was surprised that the 2 newspaper tiles were printed - I was sure they'd be stickers. The figs and animals are all great and I do love the overall design :thumbup: With this, the Alamut set and the Kingdoms Castle, it's been a great year for Castle fans.

I do think some of the colour tweaks on my version are better, like making the interior roof beam of the dining hall which holds the chandelier solid tan, and I think the exterior roof works better as a mix of sand green and dark green rather than the official version of black, sand green and dark bley. But these are easily fixed.

Thanks again for a lovely review!

Thanks Ras for bringing us this early review for us. Lots of sweet surprises in this set including the new owls, printed tiles, dining hall, etc. I wish I could get my hands on this set soon. I wonder if this new Hogwarts castle will match well with the 5378. :sweet:

I should probably sign up for that Reviewers Acadamy. Probably any day now :hmpf:

Again thanks for the nice coments everybody. I really need to sign up for Reviewers Acadamy now.

Of course, you should. I will make sure you will have a private teacher taking good care of you! :grin:

:tongue:

It's not hard to find out who that teacher is. :wink:

I'm still missing the 2007 Hogwarts too, though, but I hope to eventually get it as well. Then I can post pictures of the three Hogwarts put together, if someone else doesn't get to it before that. :wink:

I am looking forward to those pictures once you have them all.

I wish I could get my hands on this set soon. I wonder if this new Hogwarts castle will match well with the 5378. :sweet:

No, it won't. Why? Because the 5378 is a hideous abomination. Seriously, apart from the greenhouse, it's awful :laugh:

Of course, you should. I will make sure you will have a private teacher taking good care of you! :grin:

It's not hard to find out who that teacher is. :wink:

Is that teacher in my review with all the figs in it??

No, it won't. Why? Because the 5378 is a hideous abomination. Seriously, apart from the greenhouse, it's awful :laugh:

That is a bit harsh.

It is one of my all time fave sets and i love it!

I am planning to set it and 4842 up in a big HP display

But, it's the only other HP castle with fleshie minifigs. I am sure it will suit one way or another. :tongue:

Is that teacher in my review with all the figs in it??

Yes, of course. A more obvious hint could be found in your latest sigfig. :laugh:

:grin:

But, it's the only other HP castle with fleshie minifigs. I am sure it will suit one way or another. :tongue:

The 2004 version also has fleshies figs :wacko:

The 2007 figs are fine, but the Castle itself is a poorly assembled mish-mash of badly chosen parts that is boring to look at, gappy, and <insert that tiresome argument>.

Yep; I've got that one! It was my first fleshies! The clock in that set was quite cool...

That is a bit harsh.

It is one of my all time fave sets and i love it!

I am planning to set it and 4842 up in a big HP display.

Don´t take it like that. Svelte doesn´t like it, you obviously do.

You shouldn´t bother what others think about your all time fav. set :wink:

Pardon me! I had re-examined the 2004 HP castle and you are right. :blush: