SavaTheAggie

MOC: Texas State Railroad Engine #7

traintech1.jpg

4967094812_3127cba760.jpg

Full Gallery

Texas State Railroad ALCO RS-2 Engine #7

From the TSRR website:

--------------------------------------------

Engine number 7 is the second oldest diesel locomotive operated on the Texas State Railroad. This engine was built in 1947 by the American Locomotive Company at their Schenectedy, New York, locomotive plant for the Point Comfort & Northern Railroad of Lolita, Texas.

The Point Comfort & Northern was owned and operated by Alcoa (Aluminum Company of America) and served their aluminum manufacturing plant at Point Comfort, Texas. This type of engine is representative of the first wave of diesel engines that started replacing steam locomotives immediately after the end of World War II.

This engine saw many miles of road service for the Point Comfort & Northern, carrying train load after train load of material all over the eastern part of Texas.

Finally, when the hardworking road switcher seemed to be heading toward the scrap heap, its career took an unexpected turn.

In 1975 the fledgling Texas State Railroad was looking for a diesel engine to provide backup service to its steam locomotives. The officials at Alcoa decided to donate the hardworking engine number 7 to the Texas State Railroad. This diesel is still at the Texas State Railroad to this day; pulling work trains, carloads of ballast and pulling passenger trains.

--------------------------------------------

This model is my first original diesel train MOC, and made her debut at the Texas State Railroad's RAILFEST 2010 where I was able to get a photo of her on the real thing. She performed extremely well.

--Tony

Goodness that is so beautiful 'SavaTheAggie' - the black with orange trim and smooth sides - fantastic truly fantastic ! :sweet:

Excellent work from you again and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Goodness that is so beautiful 'SavaTheAggie' - the black with orange trim and smooth sides - fantastic truly fantastic ! :sweet:

Excellent work from you again and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Thanks much! I have to admit it was fun trying something new, not being a diesel builder myself. I have two more TSRR MOCs which I'll be photographing tonight.

--Tony

Another beautiful piece of vintage locomotive. :thumbup:

It's great to see such awesome train creations from you.

See it on Classic-Town.net