Sign in to follow this  
DoubleT

The Universal Color list

A message from Jake McKee (DoubleT)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always hate starting off a conversation with an apology, but I fear I must today.

For a number of months, I

I was going to post this but then I thought it might turn into a rant of the fact that Lego lied to us numberous times and the color change was the bigest mistake ever.

Anyways..

What are these colors?

I was going to post this but then I thought it might turn into a rant of the fact that Lego lied to us numberous times and the color change was the bigest mistake ever.

Anyways..

What are these colors?

The German word for tan is "beige"... I think Nougat is the new brown, it always reminded me on the chocolat nougat...

People on Lugnet are asking. The other half are being megablocks...

This list, however universal it is deemed now, still has some drawbacks.

The main problem I see is with these ugly new greys, which are on the

list, and which horribly clash[1] with classic colours like white, which

is also on the list. So they put an inconsistent list into granite.

So this leaves the following options:

- live on (play on) with an inconsistent palette (and hope that

nobody notices it)

- scrap the universailty of the list and change white, and

propably some other colours like yellow and blue, too (which

would propably result in spontaneous visits of AFOLs in Billund,

torches and pitchforks included :-)

- reintroduce and add the original grey to the list (something most

of us could agree to)

I can understand that Jake really does not like to be caught in

presenting this whole mess to the very concerned and involved part of

the market. I think, nobody would. Accept my deep sympathy, Jake.

Yours, Christian

[1] give it a try: stack some new grey, new dark grey and some fresh

(not yellowed) white bricks, and check them side by side. Especially the

new dark grey makes even the freshest white blocks look stained like

they were ten years old.

Too damn early to get the megablock quote thing to work. The old colors aren't coming back move on!!! Plus people still don't understand why they changed the colors, this is because the Lego Company is a lieing sack of megablock. No one wants to belive that through, and that lead to the first time I was banned on FBTB.

EDIT by ApophisV: I hope this looks now right, if not, change it back... ;)

Looks good to me, I couldn't get the quotes to work right, and I wasn't wearing my glasses, and was a little sick.

This I find interesting....

Universal Color (aka Locked Color): An evergreen color that would not be changed, dropped, or modified without serious discussion that includes all stakeholders, including adult hobbyists and LEGO Company executive management.

Does that mean that the "Lego Company executive management" didn't ok the color change?!

Universal Color (aka Locked Color): An evergreen color that would not be changed, dropped, or modified without serious discussion that includes all stakeholders, including adult hobbyists and LEGO Company executive management.

Thats the thing I don't get, I don't understand why they changed, so many different answers, but I really don't get the fact that some random person in the Lego comany desided to do this? I mean they didn't talk to each other before this? Even it they were going to change the color and not listen to us you think they would talk about it in the company first.

I'm PRETTY sure this color change resulted from some money thing.... Maybe the granulate (no idea if this is the english word for it.... :$) for new greys is cheaper than the old grey plastic granulate was or whatever...

I'm PRETTY sure this color change resulted from some money thing.... Maybe the granulate (no idea if this is the english word for it.... :$) for new greys is cheaper than the old grey plastic granulate was or whatever...

That's the one I belive, they now use clear plastic because it's clear and they couldn't match the colors with the dies or something.

But the fact Lego came out and told us 10 different lies pisses me off more than the color change itself.

I also agree that it had something to do with saving money. The company is well aware that changing the color of the classic blocks is a big and risky decision to make, and in my opinion, should be the very last thing you think about in the time of financial crisis. But for some reason the company changed the color, which I don't think was the last option they had. I think the "kids don't know the difference and even if they did they would not really care" idea came to mind. Lego forgot about the "Big Kids", all of us AFOL that spend thousands a year on Lego and help promote the Lego product by building displays to show kids what they can do with the brick.

Lego only acknowledged the AFOL after they made the color change, then lied to us over and over again about the reason for the change. And then here is this quote