L-space

WIP Great Hall, part 1

I think the issue Teddy was pointing out had more to do with the 'regularity' of your mottling as opposed to the number of bricks in each cluster. In both examples you have clusters of bricks which seem spaced appart at nearly even intervals. In your earlier build you had mostly clusters of three, whereas now you have mostly clusters of two. I think it's the spacing and the lack of different clusters that Teddy was pointing out earlier. Perhaps you could try adding a few larger clusters, or even a few single off colour bricks. Also, you might consider making the spacing a bit more random.

I would suggest checking out Aliencat's Brickshelf Page as he's one of the best at this sort of thing and it appears that you are looking to mottle your work in a style similar to his. Notice that the clusters are spaced randomly and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. This seeming randomness actually makes the mottling appear more natural.

I should mention that I think your work so far is phenomenal and that this is only a bit of constructive feedback. Mottling isn't easy (I'm not that good at it myself), but when done right the results speak for themselves. Keep it up!

Hi blueandwhite, that is exactly what I meant. :classic:

Look what you made me do.:cry_sad:

I will keep the extra colours together but I think keeping it to two, random, colours makes all the difference I need.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is better now. :thumbup:

Thanks, that was what I am looking for.

Maybe a revised edition will appear.

Hi L-space, as blueandwhite mentioned, your work is stunning as it is. My comments are mearly meant as constructive criticism.

This is another folder that shows some examples of random mottling by Milán Bikics:

Link to Brickshelf folder

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hi blueandwhite, that is exactly what I meant. :classic:

Hi L-space, as blueandwhite mentioned, your work is stunning as it is. My comments are mearly meant as constructive criticism.

This is another folder that shows some examples of random mottling by Milán Bikics:

Link to Brickshelf folder

Kind regards,

Teddy

Oh, I know guys. And it is highly apprecited. :thumbup:

I think I simply got cought in the pattern trap. While avoiding the same way of positioning the three bricks, the three bricks as a whole came up to regular.

In the mean time I am letting it all soak in untill the final bricklink orders arrive for the roof and tiling.

After that I will reposition the clusters in a different way that is for sure, but still maintain the used colors. I like'm.

My intention is to have another look at the building and look for 'natural' breaklines. For instance near a bay window where a wall might have cracked under the weight and so on. Added to that will come several other lone bricks and presto.

Last week I took the time to work on the outer wall and I think I now have the effect I was looking for. A major grey wall with some accents.

In the same time I started tiling and am now waiting for yet another last batch of bricklink orders. There are more 1x1 tiles needed then I thought. Maybe actually counting what I need may help in the future instead of just guessing. :laugh:

Final 6 pictures are on brickshelf. No more WIP shots, the next ones will be of the finished build.

20110116tp1003.jpg

Thanks to Teddy and blueandwhite for their support. :thumbup:

Hey L-space are you taking a break from doing the characters from discworld, because you still got some Wizards to do, and that would look nice with the UU your building.

Hi L-Space,

this is way better than the previous iteration! :thumbup:

The highlights in the masonry look random and natural, and give a real mottling effect.

Really well done.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hey L-space are you taking a break from doing the characters from discworld, because you still got some Wizards to do, and that would look nice with the UU your building.

I am still developing the characters and changing the parts. Most will require extra bricklink orders. But they will be done in the near future.:wink:

Hi L-Space,

this is way better than the previous iteration! :thumbup:

The highlights in the masonry look random and natural, and give a real mottling effect.

Really well done.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Thanks for the compliment and your support. :classic:

The final bricklink order came in today. :thumbup:

So after months of work the last tiles have been layed. :sweet:

Now to find time and proper weather so I can take some pictures and start editing them.

It will be presented in the near future by the, improved (at least I think so), Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully.

Edited by L-space

The final bricklink order came in today. :thumbup:

So after months of work the last tiles have been layed. :sweet:

Now to find time and proper weather so I can take some pictures and start editing them.

It will be presented in the near future by the, improved (at least I think so), Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully.

Glad to hear it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the completed hall! Working on a MOC for a long period of time is incredibly frustrating but the end result is well worth the wait.