L-space

WIP Great Hall, part 1

indexed.gif

After a long time of of LEGO and just lurking here I just started working on my new project two weeks ago.

Here is just a teaser of the build.

00_great_hall_build.jpg

If you want to follow the build just visit the brickshelf folder. If it is not visible it only means I recently uploaded new photo's, enjoy.

Not bad at all L-space, I like the adequate amount of variation in color and texture in the walls. I also love that wooden scaffolding. Can't wait to see the final product.

This is going to be a huge project! Great start already too. :thumbup:

Good luck with the build!

I like the way you have made the scaffolding on which you are standing. :blush:

Not bad at all L-space, I like the adequate amount of variation in color and texture in the walls. I also love that wooden scaffolding. Can't wait to see the final product.

This is going to be a huge project! Great start already too. :thumbup:

Good luck with the build!

I like the way you have made the scaffolding on which you are standing. :blush:

Thanks, the scaffolding is just there for the build :laugh:, my macon is ordering more bricks to get started again.

The Great Hall, Crap I read Discworld and I forgot what that is, L-space I am a Big fan of your work, and I have a Question, are you ever going to make Moist Von Lipwig and friends and also Tiffany Aching, if you made those guys that would be awesome.

The Great Hall, Crap I read Discworld and I forgot what that is, L-space I am a Big fan of your work, and I have a Question, are you ever going to make Moist Von Lipwig and friends and also Tiffany Aching, if you made those guys that would be awesome.

The Great Hall is almost the most important building to the wizards; that's where the dininghall is.

I do have a prototype of Moist ready, but I am not happy with it. Some others may be revealed later as well.

I have thought about Tiffany but want to get a lot of other ideas finished first.

The latest addition to the build folder

20100829tp1001.jpg

The side entrance leading to the major courtyard of the University.

Edited by L-space

After a few bricklink orders I got to work:

The top of the left tower is finished and awaits a roof.

20100902tp1001.jpg

The side entrance to the courtyard is on its way. You can also see the door to the inner courtyard.

By my side are my to little great helpers.:classic:

20100902tp1003.jpg

brickshelf

This looks great L-space! Huge project and with lots of details, a lot of work behind that I can tell.

Please, keep posting these WIP photos, it's really nice to follow someone's building process I think.

Keep up the good work! :classic::thumbup:

Wow, this looks awesome! Can't wait to see it completed and fully populated!

After I've done a Nativity Scene for Christmas, I think I'm going to do either Psuedopolis Yard or the Treacle Mine Road watchhouse... together, we will complete all of Ankh Morpork!

Or maybe not.

This is starting to come together really nice L-space! :thumbup:

Are you planning on displaying at LW Holland?

Legoworld.....when it is finished I would really like to do this. But at this pace it will be 2012.

In the mean time two pictures of recent work.

I took the wall down to add some detail to the butresses. And then rebuild it again ofcourse.

20100911tp2001.jpg

Then I shifted attention to the right side tower. This is an in between shot. Two sides of the tower are finished now.

20100912tp1003.jpg

There are 9 more new pics in the brickshelf folder. Now I'm waiting for bricklink orders to drop in.

If I'd seen this on brickshelf I'd just go past it, thinking, oh it's just another castle. I've almost read all of the Discworld books(don't know what I'll read when I finish them :tongue: ) and this is great. Will we get an interior?(I'd use another set for the tardis-like structure(I feel like I shouldn't be saying tardis in the historic themes :wacko: ))

If I'd seen this on brickshelf I'd just go past it, thinking, oh it's just another castle. I've almost read all of the Discworld books(don't know what I'll read when I finish them :tongue: ) and this is great. Will we get an interior?(I'd use another set for the tardis-like structure(I feel like I shouldn't be saying tardis in the historic themes :wacko: ))

Start reading Tiffany when you have finished the regular Discworld books. :thumbup:

And no, there won't be an interior. It is a well known fact that the University is bigger on the inside then on the outside. Doctor Who can relate to that I think.

The Tower of Arts will be another problem. Being 300 yards from the bottom and about 3 miles from the top.

I've already read the Tiffany and The Amazing Maurice books, but I'm planning on reading his other books. I don't know if you have enough parts to make a minifig scale Tower of Art, but a smaller or mini scale might work. :classic:

I don't know if you have enough parts to make a minifig scale Tower of Art, but a smaller or mini scale might work. :classic:

The Tower of Arts will be the final building. Whenever I place a bricklink order for another building I include pieces for the Tower. So slowly but surely the piececount will rise. :tongue:

The latest update after 3 months of collecting enough bricks to continue.

20101216tp001.jpg

20101217tp002.jpg

The full coverage on Brickshelf

Edited by L-space

Several bricklink orders have arrived and I have made some progress.

The cornerstones have been renewed

20101224tp001.jpg

and the stained glass as well

20101224tp002.jpg

More work has been done to the roofs and chimneys and the small addon tower.

Al in the brickshelf folder

I'm very excited since this project is coming to an end.

The plan for the tiling of the entrance is ready. Now just to wait for the tiles to arrive.

And the left wing is finshed. :cry_happy:

20101229tp001.jpg

20101229tp003.jpg

The update of the last few dates is ofcourse in the Brickshelf folder.

On to the right wing, main roof and entrance....

Dear L-space,

this is starting to look really good. There is some really nifty architecture in there! :thumbup::classic:

If I may give you some advice on a simple improvement.

The mottling you've done with sand-green, tan, and dark (bl/g)rey is a good idea, but it seams a tat too regular now.

As if it is a reoccurring pattern purposely put there. This is because you group all colors together every time you try to break up the regularity of the large grey wall. It would look better if you would scatter the sand-green, tan, and dark (bl/g)rey more randomly over the wall. Sometimes they group, sometimes they are alone. In my eyes, the grouping/pattern effect is especially apparent in the foto below.

I hope this helps you with your great WIP.

Kind regards,

Teddy

20101224tp002.jpg

The mottling you've done with sand-green, tan, and dark (bl/g)rey is a good idea, but it seams a tat too regular now.

As if it is a reoccurring pattern purposely put there. This is because you group all colors together every time you try to break up the regularity of the large grey wall. It would look better if you would scatter the sand-green, tan, and dark (bl/g)rey more randomly over the wall. Sometimes they group, sometimes they are alone. In my eyes, the grouping/pattern effect is especially apparent in the foto below.

I hope this helps you with your great WIP.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Look what you made me do.:cry_sad:

I will keep the extra colours together but I think keeping it to two, random, colours makes all the difference I need.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is better now. :thumbup:

20101231tp1002.jpg

Look what you made me do.:cry_sad:

I will keep the extra colours together but I think keeping it to two, random, colours makes all the difference I need.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is better now. :thumbup:

I think the issue Teddy was pointing out had more to do with the 'regularity' of your mottling as opposed to the number of bricks in each cluster. In both examples you have clusters of bricks which seem spaced appart at nearly even intervals. In your earlier build you had mostly clusters of three, whereas now you have mostly clusters of two. I think it's the spacing and the lack of different clusters that Teddy was pointing out earlier. Perhaps you could try adding a few larger clusters, or even a few single off colour bricks. Also, you might consider making the spacing a bit more random.

I would suggest checking out Aliencat's Brickshelf Page as he's one of the best at this sort of thing and it appears that you are looking to mottle your work in a style similar to his. Notice that the clusters are spaced randomly and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. This seeming randomness actually makes the mottling appear more natural.

I should mention that I think your work so far is phenomenal and that this is only a bit of constructive feedback. Mottling isn't easy (I'm not that good at it myself), but when done right the results speak for themselves. Keep it up!