WhiteFang

Eurobricks Raffle and Mystery Treasure Hunt

The weight lifter hint was no good (no offence). I just happened to stumble upon it because I had an intuition that it was in the Licensed forum.

I take no offense as I don't agree! :laugh: Even ignoring Batman or set knowledge, as Fugazi said a Peeron search results in two sets; Striking Venom and the BatTank. But most of all, we knew it was a possibility that some of the clues would be not found and we had contingencies for that. Thus I personally aimed the clues to be hard-ish.

But please share your opinions; we hope to do something similar again and the more data the better. Next time we'll probably have more clues and only expect 95% completion. In this case we were in a bit of a time crunch. There are many themes that have a lot of back story; for example I'd probably go horrid at one that relied on Harry Potter knowledge! :laugh: By allowing for a few misses and having diverse clues you can compensate for that to a degree.

Alright, some feedback. Most of 'em were pretty doable, if not easy. I like that some required some knowledge of the site or LEGO (history). The ones I had most trouble with were those outside my comfort zone. Like the Spartan which was found in an action figure set review (I knew I had to go into the Action Figure forum, but the specific review took a few minutes). The Batman clue was the hardest for me, and since I wasn't around at the time of Witch Hunt that one took some time as well. Sandy karate was fun, but it wasn't the first thing that came to mind either. And the Explorer took some browsing in the Adventurers' review index as well... but overall an excellent contest idea. :thumbup: However, I was expecting them to be even more spread across the individual forums: Pirates and Star Wars didn't hide any minifigs for example.

But please share your opinions; we hope to do something similar again and the more data the better. Next time we'll probably have more clues and only expect 95% completion.

Well, next time you should have properly randomized filenames and/or URLs to make the brute-force approach more difficult, this time they all matched a simple regular expression. :wink:

Apart from that I think the clues were pretty good, a nice mix of difficult and not so difficult. My personal favourite was obviously the witch, especially considering who it was placed next to :laugh:

I didn't think any of them were too difficult except the Spartan. I just don't know anything about Bionicle. But even that one didn't take too long to find when I knew it was supposed to be in the Action Figure forum.

Great contest. I don't know how I feel about opening it up to those who got less than 16. While I do think it's nice that more could participate, it does diminish the accomplishment of finding all 16 a little...

Edited by CorneliusMurdock

Fantastic contest - great fun! Kudos and thanks to WhiteFang and Siegfried and the other unnamed organisers! :thumbup:

I managed to get most without any trouble, though I had to resort to Google for the weightlifter. The Spartan gave me the most trouble: though I knew to look in the Action Figures forum, it seemed to be that the 'closest Lego set to a Spartan action figure' would be one of these guys:

8762-1.gif8763-1.gif

But neither has a review. The actual set it was (eventually) found in didn't look that much like a Spartan to me.

Still, it would have been no fun if they'd all been easy. I like the idea of the next mystery hunt having more 'involved' clues.

Let's see.

Mime - Fail on my part. Kind of. Well, I looked at the Jester Kingdom Impulse. :laugh: I didn't know it was about his twin brother in the Crownies.

Witch - :hmpf: I looked in every thread there! I guess I didn't expect it to be at the bottom of the middle of the day threads. :grin:

Didn't take me long for the Spartan. My mind went back to Deadliest Warrior. Spartans were usually known because of their monster shields. The action figure clue was in itself. I scrolled down to the Glatorians, because, well, gladiators, :tongue: and saw the shielded Skrall.

Edited by CallMePie

Well, next time you should have properly randomized filenames and/or URLs to make the brute-force approach more difficult, this time they all matched a simple regular expression. :wink:

Apart from that I think the clues were pretty good, a nice mix of difficult and not so difficult. My personal favourite was obviously the witch, especially considering who it was placed next to :laugh:

I thought of that, but none of the usual search engines would search img markup content... some of them would let you search hypertext links to see if someone linked to a particular site, but none of them would search img tags.

For the record - the Spartan was the hardest for me. The witch took a lot of time - I missed it the first time, and it's like on the last day of the game, which I read through twice from the beginning. Looked like a fun game, though.

Edited by fred67

Fun contest!

I did find all 16, though I admit the witch gave me a big headache.

I did search and found the link to the Mafia Games early on, but the name "game" threw me off and I thought it wouldn't be in a "game" thread.

So I started reading too much into the clue and for a long time I thought the Witch was "suitably paying for her crimes" in the Eurobricks Chamber! :laugh:

I ended up spending a long time going through a bunch of "build the chamber" contest entries...

BTW, if any of you don't know what the chamber is, do a search, it's kind of an interesting concept to punish misbehaving members.

So in the end, I did learn a lot about the forum and Lego history. :thumbup:

11) Weightlifter [He's off in a review to prove he doesn't need venom to be the strongest.] [Link provided by Siegfried]

Batman reference. Bane is a character who made himself super strong with a drug called Venom. Knowing that there's only one set Bane was found in.

This one was definitely the hardest, I only found it after I decided to blindly click every review in every index. Luckily for me, I started from the top of the forum home page and worked my way down, so Batman was the very first theme I checked. You'd definitely have to know you're stuff about this one. I repeatedly checked every Spider-Man review because I thought it was referring to the character, Venom.

Give me 5...

6) Witch [it's a witch! As we all know, the best way to deal with witches is to hunt them and put them on trial for their crimes. This noble witch is suitably found paying for its crimes in such a place.] [Link]

This doesn't surprise me one bit. I knew it was in there, and I checked every page of every topic of that game at least three times each, but I must have overlooked the picture every time. default_hmpf.gif I'm thinking it was because the picture was the same size as the one next to it, and it blended in.

Ah well it only took up about five hours of my life. default_tong.gif

Thanks for sharing the answers, Sieggy.

5) Spartan [Take a search for the closest LEGO set there is to a Spartan action figure...] [Link]

Ugh! How did I not see that? :hmpf: I'm pretty sure I looked at that review. This clue was pretty lame, no offense. Skrall really isn't very close to a Spartan aside from his choice of weapons. :sceptic: But oh well.

Not sure if I enjoyed this, with all the frustration that was involved, but at least you really made us work for entering a raffle for once. :grin: So, good job. :thumbup:

And now, we wait...

Ugh! How did I not see that? :hmpf: I'm pretty sure I looked at that review. This clue was pretty lame, no offense. Skrall really isn't very close to a Spartan aside from his choice of weapons. :sceptic: But oh well.

What else is there to a Bionicle? :laugh:

Not sure if I enjoyed this, with all the frustration that was involved, but at least you really made us work for entering a raffle for once. :grin: So, good job. :thumbup:

And now, we wait...

Skrall_Army.png

They seemed pretty Spartan to me. :sceptic:

Along with the Spartan, I also hid the Mime, which I think people found much easier. :classic:

Eurobricks Raffle and Mystery Treasure Hunt Winners

gallery_4229_64_95085.jpg

The Raffle and Mystery Treasure Hunt:

Hey everyone, thanks for your taking your time by putting in so much effort to participate in this very first one of a kind Eurobricks Raffle and Mystery Treasure Hunt. We could like to invite all of the participants and members to share your thoughts and views in this new Eurobricks activity. It's very important for us to hear your feedback and your feedback will definitely be very useful for us to consider for planning of such future activities in Eurobricks. Lastly, I will like to extend my congratulations to the 16 lucky winners!

The 16 lucky winners of the Eurobricks Raffle and Mystery Treasure Hunt

Vampire - kartoffelViking

1.jpg [He's home playing Mahjong.] Link

Traffic Cop - TinyPiesRUs

2.jpg [He's hanging around with some fellow motorcycle cops, but unlike him in this review they are armless.] Link

Pop Star - fred67

3.jpg [Where can the Pop Star get a good skirt? It can be found in a tutorial.] Link

Skier - soc399

4.jpg [11 Skis... but no skiers, did he find in this review.] Link

Spartan - Rick

5.jpg [Take a search for the closest LEGO set there is to a Spartan action figure.] Link

Witch - Cusm

6.jpg

[it's a witch! As we all know, the best way to deal with witches is to hunt them and put them on trial for their crimes. This noble witch is suitably found paying for its crimes in such a place.] Link

DJ - Cecilie

7.jpg

[The DJ went to PSM-2 as he heard DJ Force was there but he didn't get what he expected in the Sci-Fi forum.] Link

Ringmaster - Rufus

8.jpg [Oh god, please help me find my circus. Last I heard it was in a contest MOC.] Link

Karate Master - squiz

9.jpg [Oh Faster than a speeding rocket he descended to the ocean floor to meet a famous karate expert in a review.] Link

Pharaoh - Fugazi

10.jpg [i can't tell you where he is; it's forbidden. But I can tell you it's in a review.] Link

Weightlifter - Jan

11.jpg [He's off in a review to prove he doesn't need venom to be the strongest.] Link

Surfer - TLV

12.jpg [A lot of people would want him to be their sigfig. Can be found in a discussion.] Link

Mexican - prateek

13.jpg [He likes to roams the streets of his village. Can be found in a MOC.] Link

Mime Artist - Decale

14.jpg

[Poor Mime, why must you be sad? You look so miserable, but at least you've found a friend to cry with. Maybe you could both wear your happy faces instead?] Link

Lifeguard - Etzel

15.jpg [After failing to find a beach paradise to work on she went to a review about a poolside one.] Link

Jungle Explorer - Scop

16.jpg [is ready to take to the skies in a review.] Link

The Prizes!

After the hunt is closed, the Eurobricks Staff will draw random lots from the pool of submitted eligible entries and will pull out a total of 16 lucky winners. What prizes do they stand to win, you ask? Courtesy of the Eurobricks Staff, we are giving away 1 random LEGO Collectible Minifigures Series 2 figure each from 1 complete set. No, you can't choose what you want to have. It is "random".

The winners are to pm their address to DarkFang, so he can pass the information to me and I can ship the prize to you. Please note that you have up to 30 days starting from this post to submit your address. An acknowledgement from DarkFang will be sent via PM. Failure to do so, will be deem as "giving up" the prize. Thanks. :wink:

Please note that shipping of prizes will take awhile, so you got to be patient with me as I have a large number of mails to post out but I promise it will reach your residence before Christmas. :tongue:

Have a pleasant day.

WhiteFang and the Eurobricks Team

Ah first time winning something on this forum! Good game everyone, and congrats to the other winners! PM sent!

Too bad I didn't win anything. Were all of the winners ones who sent in all 16 links?

Me either. I even has 7 chances! A bit disappointed. :sad: It was fun though. I sent in all 16 and didn't win. I doubt that all 16 winners found all 16.

Me either. I even has 7 chances! A bit disappointed. :sad: It was fun though. I sent in all 16 and didn't win. I doubt that all 16 winners found all 16.

I share your grief. I've had no luck with these minifigs...(drove for over 1hr yesterday to find a Target that had them and realized I had forgotten my barcodes! :cry_sad: but I digress...)

Thanks for the opportunity, anyways! I felt the contest was fair. A few clues were obscure and difficult to solve, but I think the time given to solve them was enough. I have been an AFOL and member of the forum for only 9 months and I still found all 16.

I do think, however, that the difficulty of the question was inversely proportional to how well you knew the theme. For example, the Karate Master was pretty hard for me as I've never watched SpongeBob, but the Mime, Pharaoh and Explorer were extremely easy (found them in less than 1min) as I am a big fan of Castle and Adventurers theme. Specifying what type of thread (review/MOC/discussion/contest entry) the fig was in was also extremely useful.

So...though I am sad for not winnning, good job to the EB team for organizing this. Well done! :thumbup:

I doubt that all 16 winners found all 16.

No, you're wrong; everyone that won found them all. We might as well just left it at all-or-nothing! 87% of our entrants found them all, and it turned out that the 7 chances was too strong a force to allow any others to win!

No, you're wrong; everyone that won found them all. We might as well just left it at all-or-nothing! 87% of our entrants found them all, and it turned out that the 7 chances was too strong a force to allow any others to win!

So the people that didn't win will feel better now that everyone that won got all 16. :grin:

Congrats to the winners!

I didn't really expect to win since I only got 15/16, but at the very least this was a fun activity to do. And considering I'm not much of a MOCer, it was a nice change-up from MOCing contests. Hopefully we'll see something like this in the future, well done, staff.default_thumbup.gif

Kinda bummed at not winning but it was a great contest and I had fun deciphering the clues. Plus I went to forums I never would have visited otherwise. I may even try to get in on a mafia game or Jedi duel sometime now that I know they exist.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks again to the organizers!

Wow, I was under the impression that the 100% completion rate was low. It would have been funny if someone got all 7 entries drawn. I'm sure who ever would have been drawing would have gotten a laugh. :laugh: