traintech1.jpg

02-7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

Name: Steam Cargo Train, battery

Set No.: 7722

Theme: LEGO / SYSTEM / Trains / 4,5v / Train Set

Year: 1985

Pieces: 484

Minifigs: 3

Price (when it was in stores): USD 40.00$ (which equals about EUR 37€)

Price nowadays (2d hand): USD 120.00$ (which equals about EUR 100€)

7722.jpg

It's a complete set, where you can play right away. You don't have to buy extra items, like a speedregulator to operate the train. Well, you do need to buy 3 batteries. Which go in the red wagon behind the loc itself. With the red pin on this wagon the direction of the train can be changed. With the signal you can stop the train or let him go.

f_-_how_to_use_4v_systems.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on pic to get a bigger one

This system is directly copied form the blue area trains, before 1980. You can modify this train with the modern 12v motor or with an old 12v motor form the blue area trains. In the track itself you put the innertrack for powersupply and add a speedregulator.

Lets see more pic's of the train:

a_-_great_shot_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

Left side:

a_-_left_side_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

Right side:

a_-_right_side_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

Lets see the inside of the loc itself:

d_-_office_of_the_driver_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

The battery wagon:

d_-_the_battery_wagon_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

And the mailwagon, which is cute :blush: :

d_-_inner_view_of_mailwagon.jpg_thumb.jpg

And lets not forget the little station and blue truck for (un)loading the train:

e_-_the_fork_truck_of_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

And as known of the 12v area, you can build a 2d model of this set:

f_-_second_model_of_7722.jpg

Playability: 8/10 (Build it up, add 3 batteries and start playing. Much cheapier then the elec trains).

Design: 6/10 (It's again a steamengine, which lego had made enough of them.)

Price: 8/10 (Not the most expensive train, but it's a bit rare to get one in good condition.)

Overall: 8/10 (It's a great set, looks good and you can play without buying a speedregulator.)

A nice pic to see the 7722 in my layout:

e_-_complete_view_of_whole_7722.jpg_thumb.jpg

And here the blue truck is loading the cargo of the train:

b_-_the_loading_place_of_7722_in_my_layout_-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by AFOL12v

Thanks for the review!

I think this was really a nice train. True that there were many black steam engines in 80s trains, but that cannot count as a disadvantage, and in IMHO this one is one of the very best steam locomotives released. The open freight wagon is basic but well done, and the cargo mounted is definitely nice in its simplicity. The third wagon (the mail car) is really solid design both outside and inside. I don't want to be hard on the ugliness of the battery wagon, there is no choice in 4.5V system, you just have to have such fake wagon in your trains. All the downsides of this set are because of 4.5V, otherwise the train design is just perfect (for its era, of course).

Got this set in unbuilt MISb condition and I am looking forward to build it :-)

One thing is very special about this set - the battery car, which is unique to 7722. While the 1980 set 7720 still contains the old style battery car (red wheels and blue/red magnets), 7722 got a facelifted version with black magnets and blacks wheels, thus representing the design line of the grey 12v era.

I own half a 7722 acquired in an auction with half a 6396 in my 20's, when I was younger (this is a theme with me) I demanded the 7715 and added the motor having absolutely no clue of the complete disaster I was making. I had no idea how the battery car worked and my train sucked. I still only have passenger trains to this day.

The battery box isn't 100% unique as you could buy the battery car as a service part, I still have the original box from mine, I got it clearout from a Lego outlet when they were full-on going with the 9V stuff.

I believe that this set went for $89.99 Canadian in TRU back in the day.

I checked on Brickset and believe their $68.50 to be more accurate than your $40. You may remember it as a clear-out item for $40 after 9V was introduced.

Absolutely love 4.5/12V Grey-era stuff!!

The battery box isn't 100% unique as you could buy the battery car as a service part,

I know, but I don't count service packs as "real" sets. I also bought such a MISB battery wagon for my 7715.

I know, but I don't count service packs as "real" sets. I also bought such a MISB battery wagon for my 7715.

How many other things that I dearly cherrished about my childhood and adulthood are you going to tell me aren't "real." I don't need this kind of negativity in my life.

Sorry, I don't understand the problem? I just pointed out my personal opinion/view. There's no need for you to share it.

Sarcasm - deep down inside I'm just a massive drama queen.

I actually agree - somewhat. Though it's a part not nearly as much of a pain to get as the unique parts to 6399 which are currently costing me my sanity and way too much of my money at the same time.

I love this set. This set is my favourite even if better or more beautiful sets have been made before or after it.

On the second place is 4564 set :)

Edited by Severus A